What would you buy - Surface Book 2 // Razer Blade 2018 // Dell xps 2018

Hi everyone, 

I am really into the linus YouTube Channel and am right now wondering what Notebook to buy. 

I am a professional Web and media designer as well as web developer. 

Basically I use the whole AdobeSuite. Especially Photoshop InDesign Premiere Dreamweaver. 

Gaming is not that important BUT if I could Play a game I would not mind. ;)

Right now I have a surface book 1 - lagest Version. 1gb. 1tb ssd. 

I do love the Design of the surface book.

And design, look and feel of the notebook  is also very important for me. Apple Mac is no option for me. 

Right now I am struggeling between the surface book 2. Love the look. The Keyboard. The Display. Dislike the Fach that i could do absolutely nothing if it breaks. Also I dislike that only 1 other Display can be linked. 

Second favourite right now is the Razer. 4k Touch Version. As I do want to have touch support. Got used to it the last 3 years. 

Third option right now would ne the new dell xps 2018. Pretty solid. Not that ultra sexy but still looking good. 

So, what is your opinion? What would you recommend? Neeeed your help;)

Kind Regards 

Greetings from Germany. 

Alex

I would buy the Razer blade 15 2018, because it has greatly improved cooling solution. Beyond comparison to anything else on the market. It's a vapor chamber design and it cools the thing like a champ. It's battery isn't the best, but very good considering what's crammed into that machine. Screen is also very good.

He're the official review from Dave Lee. It's a very good laptop. 

I'd say the surface book or XPS, last I checked the surface offered better performance per €. To be honest, if you're spending €2000 on a laptop it might as well look good. I agree with you that the new surface book looks amazing, also great battery. Razer, while i like their Apple-esque design, they're a smaller comapany which means worse customer service compared to bigger brands like Dell, HP or Microsoft. So to conclude, I'd choose the surface.

####################  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

####################  GPU: Radeon Vega 8 

####################  Ram: 8gb DDR4 2666MHz

####################  SSD: OEM 128gb M SATA 

####################  HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1tb 5400RPM

Haha thanks so far guys. 

Good news for me. You are both not thinking bout the dell. In Germany the book is 400 Euro more than the Razer. 1tb. 15 inch and the bigger graphics RAM. 

Damn this is a tough one. :)

Thanks so far. Guess I have to sleep that topic over another Night:D

NONE, well maybe the Dell, the problem is all these guys are to overpriced and to THIN, which as evidenced by the Macbook video yesterday is a BAD thing, they have piss poor cooling solutions and can't keep the machine running at peak performance, find you a "gaming" styled laptop that is thicker and has better cooling, just make sure it has a nice screen, those MSI "ips like color" displays are pure SHIT washed out crap, try to find a gaming laptop with a REAL IPS screen and choose that over those thin boys that run to hot.

5 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

NONE, well maybe the Dell, the problem is all these guys are to overpriced and to THIN, which as evidenced by the Macbook video yesterday is a BAD thing, they have piss poor cooling solutions and can't keep the machine running at peak performance, find you a "gaming" styled laptop that is thicker and has better cooling, just make sure it has a nice screen, those MSI "ips like color" displays are pure SHIT washed out crap, try to find a gaming laptop with a REAL IPS screen and choose that over those thin boys that run to hot.

Thanks for your reply. What would you recommend instead?

Hard to recommend all 3.

The Surface Book is nice but where do you ought to get it fixed if anything does wrong? 

The Razer is a solid machine but Razer's QC and customer support still leave much to be desired.

The Dell is a great machine but it's been suffering from VRM issues for a long time already 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

All 3 options have their own issues despite their high price tag

What's your budget? Preferred max weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

All 3 options have their own issues despite their high price tag

What's your budget? Preferred max weight and battery life?

Budget does not really matter. Do not want to Sound snobbish by saying that. 

It will be a company laptop as I am self employed it is "good" for the balance. 

My major concern with theSurface book is the case when it is broken. As mentioned by D13H4RD2L1V3

For now i had no issues with the surface book 1 for three years now. 

Battery Life should at least  last 4 or 5 hours while working. 

Looked at the asus rog. Looks too much like gaming for me. As I use the Laptop for client meetings as well, it should somwhow look "normal" as I am a creative guy  it shall not look too boring. 

Max size should be 15 Inch. 

Damn. :)

Thanks guys in advance

You didn't answer me about your preferred max weight

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

4 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

You didn't answer me about your preferred max weight

Not too heavy. Cant Name it in kilogramm 

Everyone says the surface book is heavy. I can not say that it is heavy for me though .

Something in that area concerning weight.

Gigabyte Aero 15 with LM

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Gigabyte Aero 15 with LM

Somehow I thought you would recommend sth like that. ;)

Had  a  look at it and right now I am not fully happy with the design of it. Guess I will take a closer look 

You are not the first to recommend this. So there has to be something about it ;)

Thanks a Lot 

16 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Gigabyte Aero 15 with LM

Now I remember. 

Looks nice. Sounds good regarding specs and tests. 

BUT 

No Touchscreen. 

And I dont want to miss that thing any more. 

Are there any gigabyte Plans for adding touchscreens the near future?

6 hours ago, SeanKlar said:

No Touchscreen. 

Touchscreen will heavily limit your options. Are you sure you need that?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, SeanKlar said:

Are there any gigabyte Plans for adding touchscreens the near future?

Probably not

Desktop specs:

Spoiler