€280 RX 580 (4GB) vs €240 GTX 1060 (3GB)

JorenBus

As the title suggests, which would you recommend? The RX 580 is €40 more expensive.

Both cards are from Gigabyte, so no difference there.

My monitor doesn't support Freesync and frankly I don't really need it (yet), so the RX 580 having Freesync doesn't really matter.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I'd rather take the RX 580 even though I had good experience with the GTX 1060 (but I had the 6GB STRIX).

But If you have time to wait a month then you'll get the GTX 1060 6GB for the same price as the RX 580 now costs.

Just now, Hip said:

I'd rather take the RX 580 even though I had good experience with the GTX 1060 (but I had the 6GB STRIX).

Why exactly?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

RX580 for shure. Its 10% faster and has way more Vram to play with (3GB isnt enough anymore).

You also get a wide selection of freesync monitors to play with.

2 hours ago, Hip said:

Thats an awful comparison website. 

The GTX 1060 3GB is a cut down 1060 6GB with 10% less performance. The RX 580 perform lile a 1060 6GB.

There is no difference in performance between the RX 580 models, the only difference is Vram ammounts

2 minutes ago, Hip said:

It's around 300 Euro right now

Ahh that sucks saw a few where I live for like 265 a week or so ago, though that since he's in a bigger country the prices would be around the same or a bit cheaper.

1 minute ago, dannolt said:

Ahh that sucks saw a few where I live for like 265 a week or so ago, though that since he's in a bigger country the prices would be around the same or a bit cheaper.

Prices fluctuating country by country. Usually the 580 is usually slightly less than the 1060 atm.

4 minutes ago, dannolt said:

Yeah it sucks. Yesterday I saw a RX 570 for €185, which I thought was really damn cheap. Unfortunately that card is sold out now :(

Get the RX 580. 

Going from 3GB to 4GB VRAM is a 33% improvement and at these levels of memory it really matters because applications actually need it. Which isn't the case when you go from 6GB to 8GB etc..

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Get the RX 580. 

Going from 3GB to 4GB VRAM is a 33% improvement and at these levels of memory it really matters because applications actually need it. Which isn't the case when you go from 6GB to 8GB etc..

Sure but it's also 17% more expensive.

I can also buy a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 for €20 less, is that a better choice than the Gigabyte version?

@Humbug

@GoldenLag

21 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

I can also buy a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 for €20 less, is that a better choice than the Gigabyte version?

@Humbug

@GoldenLag

long story short. the cheapest card that has 8GB and isnt called armor and has more than a single fan is the best choice

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

long story short. the cheapest card that has 8GB and isnt called armor and has more than a single fan is the best choice

Well I won't be buying a 8GB version anyway, that's a bit too expensive IMO.

Just now, JorenBus said:

Well I won't be buying a 8GB version anyway, that's a bit too expensive IMO.

well then its just all the other requirements i mentioned.

10 hours ago, JorenBus said:

Sure but it's also 17% more expensive.

@Humbug

@GoldenLag

Sapphire has an excellent reputation so yes it's a good choice.