CPU fan curve

Lazarus23

Just checking if it's okay to always leave the cpu fan on 40% until it reaches 50c.

The reason I want to do this is because my pc is near my ear and when I would browse the internet or do something else with default curve the fan would rev up and down which is a bit annoying.

fancurve.PNG.a30e3769e0e5e3f2bbd44d153db552fd.PNG

It all depends on your cooler and your CPU, ideally your CPU should idle at aroud 30-40C and while at full load should reach 60-70C.

2 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

It all depends on your cooler and your CPU, ideally your CPU should idle at aroud 30-40C and while at full load should reach 60-70C.

Hyper 212x and i5 6600k overclocked at 4.3Ghz 1.35v. Temps max out at 68c while gaming.

2 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

Hyper 212x and i5 6600k overclocked at 4.3Ghz 1.35v. Temps max out at 68c while gaming.

Why 1.35v? At 4.3 you should be fine with 1.150v. I have my 8600K (a six-core) at 1.150v at 4.4Ghz

3 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

Why 1.35v? At 4.3 you should be fine with 1.150v. I have my 8600K (a six-core) at 1.150 at 4.4. 

I'm unlucky with the lottery, I guess I could go 100mhz higher, but ehh, more stable now. 

Edit: I failed aida64 at 4.5Ghz 1.38v btw.

1 minute ago, Lazarus23 said:

I'm unlucky with the lottery, I guess I could go 100mhz higher, but ehh, more stable now.

It's not about the speed, the voltage is very high. Anyways, if your CPU stays at around 40-ish while doing simple tasks it should be fine. While playing games it shouldn't really go above around 70. 

Just now, Konrad_K said:

It's not about the speed, the voltage is very high. Anyways, if your CPU stays at around 40-ish while doing simple tasks it should be fine. While playing games it shouldn't really go above around 70. 

Voltage is not that high, I've heard people run their 6600k at 1.52v for years.

Just now, Lazarus23 said:

Well, that is BS

5 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

yes but if you can run your oc stable at a lower voltage that means less heat.  

2 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

If you care about your components lowering it to 1.2v (or less) at low clocks of 4.3GHz to 4.5GHz is a good option. There is no point in giving to much voltage. 

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

If you care about your components lowering it to 1.2v (or less) at low clocks of 4.3GHz to 4.5GHz is a good option. There is no point in giving to much voltage. 

I don't think I can lower the voltage, I have a bad chip, I can't even keep it stable at 4.5Ghz 1.38v

I don't think I can lower the voltage, I have a bad chip, I can't even keep it stable at 4.5Ghz 1.38v

You won't know if you never try.  Finding the max overclock is only the first part of the overclock process.  The second part is finding the lowest possible voltage that overclock will run stable at.  My ryzen going past 3.8 had issues unless i dumped a ton of voltage in it, more than i was comfortable with.  But at 3.8 i was able to lower the voltage way less than i was testing at 3.9.  

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

You won't know if you never try.  Finding the max overclock is only the first part of the overclock process.  The second part is finding the lowest possible voltage that overclock will run stable at.  My ryzen going past 3.8 had issues unless i dumped a ton of voltage in it, more than i was comfortable with.  But at 3.8 i was able to lower the voltage way less than i was testing at 3.9.  

Hmm interesting, never knew this, so should I try 1.3v maybe?

Hmm interesting, never knew this, so should I try 1.3v maybe?

you could try, some people like jumping around in larger chunks to narrow down what works then make small adjustments.  Or you can try smaller decrements and test for stability at each step.