Google to shut down Bump and Flock in just 30 days

mgsstar

In true Google form, its recently acquired Bump and Flock apps will be shutdown effective January 31st 2014. Google acquired Bump and Flock in September and only seemed interested in its talented employees, and not necessarily the apps themselves.

The shutdown announcement came late last night via the company's CEO and founder, David Lieb, who quietly broke the news via blog post last night. Google says that users can export their data by simply using the app and following the export instructions provided. This saddens me asbump is one of the apps that I used most often to trade contact info with colleagues and friends.

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34585/google-to-shut-down-bump-and-flock-in-just-30-days/index.html

Its sort of sad that Google shutdown the apps because they were just interested in the employees. I used Bump before and it was a very easy way to transfer files between devices and from your computer before I used NFC.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Stupid move in my opinion.

I've never understood why Google do this again and again. Why not maintain the products of the company they've acquired so long as the product is popular enough to warrant it? Bump is one of the most used smartphone applications in the world, it seems like a stupendous waste to simply kill it off. :mellow:

Typical Google indeed.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Stupid move in my opinion.

I've never understood why Google do this again and again. Why not maintain the products of the company they've acquired so long as the product is popular enough to warrant it? Bump is one of the most used smartphone applications in the world, it seems like a stupendous waste to simply kill it off. :mellow:

Typical Google indeed.

U say its one of the most used smart phone apps in the world yet I've never heard of it...

U say its one of the most used smart phone apps in the world yet I've never heard of it...

Bump is an application used for quickly sharing files between two smartphones in close proximity to one another. It functioned cross-platform between Android and iOS (I'm uncertain if there were eventually Windows Phone and BlackBerry versions) and allowed users to share photos, contact information and documents between one another.

The idea was that to share the files, both users simply need to lightly 'bump' their devices together to initialise a file transfer. It actually worked quite well in my experience.

bump-android-application-e1313900615506.

BumpArticle_Header.jpg

Bump is an application used for quickly sharing files between two smartphones in close proximity to one another. It functioned cross-platform between Android and iOS (I'm uncertain if there were eventually Windows Phone and BlackBerry versions) and allowed users to share photos, contact information and documents between one another.

The idea was that to share the files, both users simply need to lightly 'bump' their devices together to initialise a file transfer. It actually worked quite well in my experience.

Nvm I've heard of it bump not the other also isnt there like a million apps like bump.

Nvm I've heard of it bump not the other also isnt there like a million apps like bump.

In so much as there are a million alternatives to Microsoft Office, a million calculator apps and a million fart-sound apps.

There may have been many others, but Bump was pretty much the standard. The 'Original and Best', if you will.