Need help troubleshooting AM3+ build. No Power

LilMarco

He there,

So I'm doing an overhaul on an older computer that I use for video editing. I'm upgrading my FX-6300 CPU to a FX-8350 plus some more ram. Initially I had forgotten to plug in the CPU power cable, and everything lit up, fans, GPU, Liquid-cooled cpu cooler, but as soon as I plug in the CPU cable it's dead, nothing happens. So far I've tried resetting the Bios, removing and trying each different RAM dimm, unplugging the GPU, even swapping out CPU's, but it's still dead. 

What can I try? I'm at a bit of a loss.

Here are my specs.

AMD  FX8350

32gb ddr3 1333mhz RAM

500 Watt EVGA PSU

RX 580

Red Rocket Card (original, not the X)

512gb sata SSD

This sounds a lot like a PSU issue. If you want to replace something to see if its the problem I would swap the power supply. I don't know exactly how long you've had it, but they can blow any time. If its not the PSU its likely the motherboard, but based on your symptoms, I would say it is indeed the power supply. Hope this helps. 

Thank you so much for your advice.

I was starting to think that may be the case, however everything (minus the CPU) powers up when I remove the power to the CPU, but If I plug in the CPU power and remove the GPU I still get no power.

6 minutes ago, LilMarco said:

Thank you so much for your advice.

I was starting to think that may be the case, however everything (minus the CPU) powers up when I remove the power to the CPU, but If I plug in the CPU power and remove the GPU I still get no power.

This might be because the damaged PSU can only output a certain amount of wattage and voltage before it powers off

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-DSP MOBO.

Maybe the PSU is damaged, but it worked fine with the 6300 chip. 

3 minutes ago, LilMarco said:

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-DSP MOBO.

Maybe the PSU is damaged, but it worked fine with the 6300 chip. 

If it works with the 6300 but not the 8350 then the board doesn't like the 8350.

Your best bet might be looking into a new board if you're going along with that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I was afraid of that.

This upgrade has been a lot of trouble for me. I'm tempted to just can it and build something completely new from scratch. Should I look into starting over with a Ryzen system, would it be worth it? I know the the FX architecture is a bit obsolete.

10 minutes ago, LilMarco said:

I was afraid of that.

This upgrade has been a lot of trouble for me. I'm tempted to just can it and build something completely new from scratch. Should I look into starting over with a Ryzen system, would it be worth it? I know the the FX architecture is a bit obsolete.

If you want to spoil yourself a little, I'd go Ryzen.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.