Computer Storage Conundrum

A long story made very very short, my new custom hardline loop has to sit around drained while I wait for a replacement part.

My question comes in two parts:

Whats the quick low-down on cleaning components to help reduce the chances of things growing in the loop while it sits?

And should I take any special measures with the components while they sit? They could theoretically be sitting for up to a month.

Thanks

I can only say what I would do to be save.

As I understand the loop is new and empty which means filled with air.

Because the loop is new there probably will not be a lot of cleaning to do. For coloured fluid just flush it and use a tooth brush for the blocks if needed.

I would dry out each component as best as you can especially the ones with metal two reasons for that:

• Corrosion occurs especially with combination of air and water. Fully submerged metals corrode less because there is less oxygen in water than air.
  • There are always germs and bacteria in air. Therefore giving them a wet and also possible warm enough environment is maybe not so good idea. (does not have to happen)

Cheers

Thanks for the response- the loop actually had been filled and then drained.

In that case, lets assume Ive already got corrosion and growth. What do I do?

Hypothetically, lets say a liquid cooled computer needs to be stored for a long period of time- months or even years.

Should it be left filled with an extra dose of biocide?

Or maybe disassembled, dried out, and stored in sealed bags? How would one manage to thoroughly dry out a radiator?

i don' know a lot about water cooled pc's but i would not let a water cooled pc stored away for months or years with it filled i would think the smart thing to do would be to drain it and store it 

19 minutes ago, Mr.NoLogic said:

i don' know a lot about water cooled pc's but i would not let a water cooled pc stored away for months or years with it filled i would think the smart thing to do would be to drain it and store it 

Right, like- there’s an obvious argument that leaving it filled, ESPECIALLY if it has to be moved or shipped or whatever, is super risky...

But if you just drain it and leave it assembled you might as well open spotify and queue up “Welcome to the Jungle” when you come back to it.

Which means the only thing to do would be to drain it, dismantle it, clean it, dry it, and store all the parts in air-tight bags...

But how on earth do you sufficiently dry out a radiator?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about not being able to get his computer back home from college. How did you get it there in the first place? In general, this is a good guide to follow:  

On 24.8.2018 at 6:58 PM, Tychonic said:

Thanks for the response- the loop actually had been filled and then drained.

In that case, lets assume Ive already got corrosion and growth. What do I do?

Let’s assume, so you have ;)...

I never had both of them only had once this really bad nanofluid where the nano particles got stuck in the blocks.

Check out JayzTwoCents:

At one point he cleans his blocks with toothpaste and toothbrush (around 7min).

Maybe that helps against some corrosion but if it is really bad and not on the surface anymore I am not sure what to do.

Awesome- I meant “assume” because I actually didn’t know yet.

Had a chance to clean it all yesterday. Everything cleaned up well- just a thin red residue on everything...

Except for the rad, which after a soak with a warm vinegar solution was dumping out bright blue. Thought that was very odd. Water came out clean after a couple good rinses, though, so I’m not concerned.

17 hours ago, Mvcvalli said:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about not being able to get his computer back home from college. How did you get it there in the first place? In general, this is a good guide to follow:  

Huh? No- I’m just talking hypothetically about storing it for long periods of time. Maybe someone is traveling for a while. Maybe someone who owns a liquid cooled rig died and their family needs to store the computer while the will is sorted. Maybe I’m an astronaut and I’m about to spend 8 months on the ISS, who knows.

It’s less about shipping the computer and more about whats best if its going to go a month or longer without running.

48 minutes ago, Tychonic said:

Huh? No- I’m just talking hypothetically about storing it for long periods of time. Maybe someone is traveling for a while. Maybe someone who owns a liquid cooled rig died and their family needs to store the computer while the will is sorted. Maybe I’m an astronaut and I’m about to spend 8 months on the ISS, who knows.

It’s less about shipping the computer and more about whats best if its going to go a month or longer without running.

For a few weeks it should be fine if you have fluids like pastel it will settle out but will remix once it turns on. For longer periods you should drain it and clean everything, ideally taking apart the loop so it can be flushed clear with a final rinse of  distilled water and left to dry before sealing up.