Fragmented HD, why I miss SSD's

Psychatog

So I was working with my first mechanical HD for a friend. He got a nasty bug and asked me to reload it with all sorts of programs.  It was running a bit slow an saw the HD was 43% fragmented.  I only loaded windows and about 100GB of games and holy crap...

UPDATE: I ran WD's tool on my drive and after 4 hours it finished and it said my drive is perfectly fine.  Problem is, it's a tad louder than I'd like, but after that test the drive went from 0% to 23% fragmented.  I am returning the drive I think and getting a WD Blue Drive.

Jesus, what drive is it?

I did the same with my WD Blue and I think it only got like 2% fragmented

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Jesus, what drive is it?

I did the same with my WD Blue and I think it only got like 2% fragmented

Some white label HD he bought from an Ebay Vendor :)

Some white label HD he bought from an Ebay Vendor :)

Ahh that'll be why then, give it a week and it'll blow up for destroy the Earth or some shit lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Ahh that'll be why then, give it a week and it'll blow up for destroy the Earth or some shit lol

Nah, it's brand new.  There's a company that sells brand new white label drives with a full warranty on it.  How can I test to see if it's bad though because he just ordered it last week.

Nah, it's brand new.  There's a company that sells brand new white label drives with a full warranty on it.  How can I test to see if it's bad though because he just ordered it last week.

There is no way to test it, just run it and see if it died though I would highly advise against buying hard drives from eBay, it is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

There is no way to test it, just run it and see if it died though I would highly advise against buying hard drives from eBay, it is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

This company sells about a thousand a month.  They are based out of CA and they buy new old stock, sell them as white labels in bulk.

This company sells about a thousand a month.  They are based out of CA and they buy new old stock, sell them as white labels in bulk.

Something about it doesn't seem right, I think I'll stick with the reputable PC companies

Something about it doesn't seem right, I think I'll stick with the reputable PC companies

I've used them alot haven't had an issue with them yet tbh.  I got my storage drive from them :)

So I was working with my first mechanical HD for a friend. He got a nasty bug and asked me to reload it with all sorts of programs.  It was running a bit slow an saw the HD was 43% fragmented.  I only loaded windows and about 100GB of games and holy crap...

Perhaps your friend was doing more with the drive than you thought. It is fairly easy to fragment a drive.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Perhaps your friend was doing more with the drive than you thought. It is fairly easy to fragment a drive.

Oh no, I wiped the drive and put it in for him.  His last drive was old and IDE.

Oh no, I wiped the drive and put it in for him.  His last drive was old and IDE.

Wow! Did you defrag the hdd? If so, what was the percentage afterwards?

Wow! Did you defrag the hdd? If so, what was the percentage afterwards?

0% afterwards.

Installations do copy lots of temporary files that they then remove and if there were lots of Windows updates I suppose the drive could get that fragmented. The fact fragmentation went to 0% suggests that the unit has no issues.

Update see original post

UPDATE: I ran WD's tool on my drive and after 4 hours it finished and it said my drive is perfectly fine.  Problem is, it's a tad louder than I'd like, but after that test the drive went from 0% to 23% fragmented.  I am returning the drive I think and getting a WD Blue Drive.