10GB of 16GB ram being used, for no reason - no fix or diagnostic

Detective_Fox
Go to solution Solved by PowerChaos,

Do you created a ramdisk ? Or use cach optimalisation ?

also do a memtest or run a live Linux to see ram usage

if in Linux the ram is also high then the ramtest will probably find errors

also disable page file in windows or manual assign 4gb pagefile

as I see that you got 20gb of pagefile And that slows down the PC a lot 

greets from PowerChaos 

I've suddenly became stuck with this problem whenever I wanted to use Adobe Premiere or Photoshop.

Like the title, 10GB of RAM are being used, with no apparent processes shown either on the task manager or resource monitor.

I've been searching for a diagnostic check or repair for a month, with so far no improvement whatsoever.
I did try rebooting, but the problems seem to persist.

If there's anyway to solve or prevent this problem, that would be great to know.

Specs are shown in one of the screenshots, however I'm not too sure of the BIOS version or wattage of the PSU I'm currently using.

5b7dc4738ee0d_Problem3.PNG.adb7ee223ad159b11734a1d04f36e197.PNG5b7dc4731867e_Problem2.PNG.b798a28103c570c1b86561141d6ef1ab.PNG5b7dc47251bf7_Problem1.PNG.36ffd8c41c708663de4915d8b63f76dd.PNG5b7dc4709e6e6_Problem4.PNG.bd161df53a61e10e000ff21b9cd0aa38.PNG

Do you created a ramdisk ? Or use cach optimalisation ?

also do a memtest or run a live Linux to see ram usage

if in Linux the ram is also high then the ramtest will probably find errors

also disable page file in windows or manual assign 4gb pagefile

as I see that you got 20gb of pagefile And that slows down the PC a lot 

greets from PowerChaos 

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

• Rearrange your RAM Sticks to see if that resolves it. 
  • Run MalwareBytes as there's been cryptomining malware lately that's pretty good at hiding from task manager

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

You have malware. See my screenshot with highlights below. First order of business is uninstalling all highlighted software, then running ADWCleaner, running MBAM, and then running ADWCleaner again to attempt to eradicate all traces of it from your system.

Only then would I look to see if there is still high RAM usage on your system.

(attach a screenshot of the DETAILS tab from task manager, sorted by the MEMORY column.)

malware.png.4788ce9c75f5f98b80f1169a22b60c75.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

So far I've used Malwarebytes, and fixed up the pagefile settings and as of a reboot, RAM usage dropped to just 3GB.

I would not yet say that the problem is fixed. As one time I tried to fix the issue, at first the usage was lower than it was previously, however the problem came back.

I'll add more updates to this post.

So far problems haven't persisted, thanks for the use of Malwarebytes and changes to the pagefile sizes, which helped out cutting down the 10gb worth of used memory.

Although I did try some previous anti-malware software before, and the problem yet persisted.

However, I did notice a equally high use of standby memory, as opposed to free memory. So far no extra problems, and I would recommend trying out the fixes I agreed to.