Reddit turns political in regards with censorship

Message added by SansVarnic

This topic has a possible tendency to turn political.

Any and all attempts to derail, bait or otherwise stay on topic, those comments and replies will be removed with warnings issued.

Thank-you.

50 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Discrimination because of racism etc. is a bad thing we want to prevent.

Discrimination for other reasons can be completely innocuous or even arguably beneficial, and thus not something we want to prevent.

Wouldn't the solution then be to make discrimination based on race illegal, not to make it illegal for some races who get protected class status. What protected status exists that cannot be universalized based on the underlying principle that led to having that protected status? 

4 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

Wouldn't the solution then be to make discrimination based on race illegal, not to make it illegal for some races who get protected class status. What protected status exists that cannot be universalized based on the underlying principle that led to having that protected status? 

That is already how it works. It's illegal to discriminate because of race, regardless of which race.

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

That has nothing to do with the post the OP linked.

censorship has nothing to do with censorship

i know people don't want to touch the open wound, but the subject it complicated, on the one hand it's really not fair the land ownership inequality in SA, especially considering the roots of said inequality, on the other hand you have land ownership rights and a society reform that was promised to everyone (blacks and whites and they all accepted it as needed) and never come about. And that was convenient just for some, let's see if they forget about it.

This for me was very little to do it private ownership of land and all to do it said reform that never was done.

It also should not be a race thing, if they were all white but still there was some invading part of the population that still owned almost all the land it would still be wrong. As I've seen SA government went this way, they are all SA's no withe or black, and i think they are right. There are a lot of people that conveniently want to do this a race thing, including but not exclusively the whites and the blacks in SA. It was almost inevitable, the wound is open. But if the government is trying to close it, isn't that a good thing?

Now when someone outside reports it as a white, black thing that's were i see the problem, it's narrowminded and just ads to the problem and the stupid race thing. Even Trump tweeted about it as a land grab to the whites, so ignorance is rampant even in those that should at least try to know the problem, and even more those that have a similar problem in their own country.

Someone managing that subredit decided to moderate it, i don't see where the discrimination or censorship is. The discussion was going blacks vs whites in full stupidity mode, and they didn't allow on side to continue, they just stoped all together on both sides. It was as much a censorship to those that think whites were right, victims of an attack on private land and racism, as to those wanting to say the blacks were right, and 75% land ownership by one side after the end of the Apartheid and the promises made is wrong.

But the worst is how the news are reported on this and the title of that subreditt suffered from it. I guess it's accurate to say they were seizing white farms, but at the same time isn't it a bit (not a bit, totally) misleading or feeding one part of the narrative, even if all they want is clickbait?

But mostly u really don't see how reditt as a platform can really be demonized by what happened, considering how it works. Reddit is so huge that considering to blame it for a 0.000001% of what goes there is insane, even more when you compare to facebook like they were even remotely comparable on how things get there, are moderated and by who or who does it.

12 hours ago, asus killer said:

i know people don't want to touch the open wound, but the subject it complicated, on the one hand it's really not fair the land ownership inequality in SA, especially considering the roots of said inequality, on the other hand you have land ownership rights and a society reform that was promised to everyone (blacks and whites and they all accepted it as needed) and never come about. And that was convenient just for some, let's see if they forget about it.

This for me was very little to do it private ownership of land and all to do it said reform that never was done.

It also should not be a race thing, if they were all white but still there was some invading part of the population that still owned almost all the land it would still be wrong. As I've seen SA government went this way, they are all SA's no withe or black, and i think they are right. There are a lot of people that conveniently want to do this a race thing, including but not exclusively the whites and the blacks in SA. It was almost inevitable, the wound is open. But if the government is trying to close it, isn't that a good thing?

Now when someone outside reports it as a white, black thing that's were i see the problem, it's narrowminded and just ads to the problem and the stupid race thing. Even Trump tweeted about it as a land grab to the whites, so ignorance is rampant even in those that should at least try to know the problem, and even more those that have a similar problem in their own country.

Someone managing that subredit decided to moderate it, i don't see where the discrimination or censorship is. The discussion was going blacks vs whites in full stupidity mode, and they didn't allow on side to continue, they just stoped all together on both sides. It was as much a censorship to those that think whites were right, victims of an attack on private land and racism, as to those wanting to say the blacks were right, and 75% land ownership by one side after the end of the Apartheid and the promises made is wrong.

But the worst is how the news are reported on this and the title of that subreditt suffered from it. I guess it's accurate to say they were seizing white farms, but at the same time isn't it a bit (not a bit, totally) misleading or feeding one part of the narrative, even if all they want is clickbait?

But mostly u really don't see how reditt as a platform can really be demonized by what happened, considering how it works. Reddit is so huge that considering to blame it for a 0.000001% of what goes there is insane, even more when you compare to facebook like they were even remotely comparable on how things get there, are moderated and by who or who does it.

How can you argue its not a race thing when the people calling for the seizing of the land are using racist terms, and when questioned by the media about killings, respond with things this:

“I’m saying to you, we’ve not called for the killing of white people, at least for now. I can’t guarantee the future,” Malema 

They can't rule out committing genocide.

So when I see people trying to make this out as if its just Marxists stealing land (which is wrong anyway!), and not racist Marxists stealing land, I have to laugh. Because its so obvious. They are using racial hatred to spur changing the constitution to enable the theft of land, which is primarily going to benefit the politicians in power.

This is probably getting too political for this forum, so I will leave it at this.