Create image backup of fresh OS install?

steffeeh

So I'm about to flash my PC, backed up and ready. And suddenly I start thinking - should I perhaps once I'm done setting up my PC and it's fully operational again, do a full image backup?

That way the next time I do a reinstall I can just load up the image as a snapshot and be back with fresh and clean drivers and all and won't have to manually reinstall most softwares and such, and maybe just have to compensate with some Windows updates and additional files?

Or is there something that I've missed?

EDIT: To be clear, I'd do this image once all programs are installed again. and my manual backup has been added in etc.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Hello @steffeeh

I would like to let you know that this is indeed a great idea! 

I have been doing that with every computer device I have laid my hands on. 
If a customer needs reinstall and configuration I do the exact same thing and educate them on how to load the backup themselves! 

Please notice that this is in fact not error proof. In case you get a malware/virus/ransomeware you will have hard time restoring the mentioned backup. 

There are few other scenarios where you will not be able to work with the backup but if you get that far restoring the backup will be the last thing to worry about. 

Hope this helps! 

Regards, 
@NotKalo 

I'm thinking it's so easy to download everything latest version at time of install. Then no patching the patched versions.

And that keeping an old image and restoring a backup could leave extraneous files on the system.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

35 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

So I'm about to flash my PC, backed up and ready. And suddenly I start thinking - should I perhaps once I'm done setting up my PC and it's fully operational again, do a full image backup?

That way the next time I do a reinstall I can just load up the image as a snapshot and be back with fresh and clean drivers and all and won't have to manually reinstall most softwares and such, and maybe just have to compensate with some Windows updates and additional files?

Or is there something that I've missed?

EDIT: To be clear, I'd do this image once all programs are installed again. and my manual backup has been added in etc.

Your best bet here would be using sysprep. There are great guides online on how to do this, but basically what you do is install the machine like normal but rather than complete the setup with cortana, you boot into windows, install any software you want, then sysprep the machine and create a custom install image that will install like normal but with all the software you've pre-installed. The best method is with a virtual machine as it can be easier to manager when creating the image.

The guide I followed is this: https://finalthought.org/2018/01/11/creating-customized-windows-10-version-1709-media-iso-wim-flash-drive/

I ilke trains.

My idea at the moment is to update Windows and all drivers, install all programs and move over my storage, customize it all back and fix the settings that I like. Then I'll run Macrium Reflect and image everything on my PC. Then I'll store the image-file on my NAS.

Essentially what happens every week for my system with my scheduled image backuping to my NAS, except I'll keep this file on elsewhere in the NAS and label it "Fresh Install" or something.

EDIT: How volatile is this with regards to hardware drivers and such? Obviously this idea won't work if I were to swap out the mobo, but what about excanging RAM, GPU, etc?

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU