Most quiet PSU + braided cables

atomicus
3 minutes ago, nick name said:

Nothing brings out the jerks like the quiet PSU debate. And don't debate @seon123 on PSU noise levels. He won't trust any material you might provide.  

Aren't there fanless PSUs? Or is it just the one 450W Silverstone?

And nothing sees as many clueless folks as absolutely anything regarding PSUs. 

If someone provides a reliable source, I'll trust it. If it's anecdotes or extremely sketchy websites that don't even test for noise, I won't. 

There are plenty of fanless PSUs. The highest wattage one being the Prime 600W, which is quite expensive. 

:)

The Corsair RMx White comes with "custom style" cables iirc

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 minutes ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

I have something to add to this, I have a corsair ax1200i and with a micro atx motherboard a 980ti 1 hdd 32gb ram and 5 fans the fan in my psu doesn't even spin up. I have never heard it and the dust filter is always clean.

So I think if you go bigger they don't even get hot enough to spin the fans. so no noise! :)
Unless the ax1200i's fan is just that quiet....

Yeah the AX definitely has a zero RPM mode, from what I've read in a few places it actually has the highest threshold in comparison to it's brethren.

OP brought to light that Seasonic makes a PSU that doesn't even have a fan to spin up regardless of load:
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-SSR-600TL-Fanless-Warranty/dp/B01N9OLE9X?th=1

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

3 hours ago, TheAgnda said:

Obviously... I own one, coil whine is minimal.

wich is what I wasn't talking about....

Coil whine is just an extremely unpleasant thing that you don't even want. But there are other things that you can hear and can't do anything about them.

The second link is 3rd party, while I don't believe it is necessarily my obligation to provide more evidence

It is!
YOU claim something, YOU provide evidence, simple as that.

I don't have to prove anything.

And if I do, I try to prove my point with a Link that you should read. 

and what are you saying exactly?
Just dropping links is shit.

I clearly stated in my original post that if "price isn't a huge factor" the corsair HX series is "technically" the most quiet PSU for OP's use case.

Wich is a lie as it is always the case with superlatives...

And others can be quieter. And there are better alternatives.

If you want the "Most Quiet" route with no care for the Money. How about the AX1600i?

Wich I can provide you with proof:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_ax1600i/s09.php

And now lets look at that:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_hx750/s08.php

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_rmx_2018/s09.php

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/be_quiet_straight_power_11/s09.php

And that looks like the be quiet is the quietest of those three...

I don't understand the unnecessary hostility... 

Because you are recommending a PSU that he does not need, that offers him no advantage and don't have a PSU to compare it to or measure the fan RPM.

And you are wasting his money and just trying to force him to buy YOUR PSU. And just because you got it, doesn't mean its the best or that you should recommend it when there are alternatives that are better for his application. And there is for example the be quiet Straight POwer 11 Series wich is optimized for quiet operation. The 450W or 550W is plenty for his needs. No need to force a 225€ PSU on him. 

So you're clearly wrong here.

3 hours ago, TheAgnda said:

I'm trusting myself... who owns the PSU...

We don't and that is the point of providing 3rd party proof.

Because you are clearly biased in this regard because you own the PSU you are recommending...

And also have nothing (good) to compare it to as well. Well there are some people here that do have the ability to compare multiple PSU with each other. 

And a Fact is that moar Watt doesn't mean quieter operation. It just means more watt and nothing more.
And in many cases the higher wattage models have a higher RPM fan that also spins higher at lower loads.

Proof:

https://www.hartware.de/2012/11/27/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-10-650w/8/

Scroll down to the "Lautstärke und Spannungen" Picture. And look at that.

The 550W P10 at 100% has lower fan RPM than any other unit of this series at 10%.

There are plenty other websites and reviews who talk about Corsairs HX series zero RPM mode.

yes and as a Corsair Representative (I believe it was Bluebeard) once told me:

We don't need no high quality fan, we have Zero RPM mode!!

Do I need to say more?!

Well, yes I do:
YOU don't have any benefit of this mode. NONE. 

With a good quality fan and a good fan controller, you don't hear a difference.

Once again, I don't understand the unnecessary hostility... 

Because you come here with an oppionion and force your oppionion on others and won't see that you are clearly wrong here and that your choice is a bad idea for this case as there is no need for a 1200W PSU and its a waste of money. The saved money could be invested in one of the great games that will come next month.

2 hours ago, atomicus said:

Interesting info there, thanks. Not a major improvement over the original SF600 it would appear.

you won't get a particularly quiet unit in the SFX Form factor as the size restrictions don't allow for good cooling and/or 25mm thick fans or designs that are optimized for airflow. 

In general:

If you want it all, go big (physically!)

With SFF/ITX Buidls you have to live with higher noise or lower performance but can't have it both ways!

Because to make something good, you sometimes just need the space to make it good. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, atomicus said:

Interesting on the Corsairs... never even considered them due to a bad experience I had with one years ago. Will take a closer look.

You always have to look at the particular unit and not the manufacturer.

Though there are some manufacturers that are worse than others because of their company philosophy...

The more I think about it, I am liking the idea of SFX though, just due to space and weight saving (I have an ITX board, no HDDs), but I'm aware there aren't really any silent options... yet.

Well, there is one option and that's this:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=797

Again, if you are willing to pay for the price that is...

While ITX is smaller (and thus the case a bit lighter), it is also the biggest disadvantage as you are limited to low profile heatsinks like the Noctua NH-L12 or NH-L65.

And in some cases you have to go with something like the mentioned NH-L9 because you just don't have space for more than that.

I have two ITX Builds right now by the way, one Gaming one and an Office One.

With the Gaming one I have Problems with the Graphics card right now (Radeon RX480, Power Color at Default/Quiet BIOS) wich gets up to 90°C and rather loud and I already rammed in two be quiet Silent Wings into the GPU compartment of my RVZ-01 Case (Should have gone with the Milo option as its just a darn ugly Case).

Another disadvantage is that you can't use 3,5" Drives in most ITX Cases wich offer you better performance and price per Gigabyte than 2,5" Drives. but then again, in that case the 4TB Toshiba Drive I have in there gets cooked by the Semi Fanless Operation of my SX700-LPT...

The SF600 Platinum purports to be up to about 30% supposedly, but it's not out yet. I'll keep an eye on that as well.

Semi Fanless operation is overrated and, in most cases, has more disadvantages than advantages. Especially in small form factor builds you really do not want that as every bit of heat you have in the case makes it worse for everything else. 

Right now you are thinking about the PSU, but what about the GPU and the CPU?

No airflow means more heat and that means more heat in the case. And that has to go somewhere. As the fan options in the more interesting ITX Cases are pretty limited, you have some serious problems getting it out...

Specifications of my ITX Builds:

Core i3-4150

MSI H81I (2x4GiB Memory)

Right now some Heatsink that fitted with an ADDA 80x10mm fan will be replaced with Noctua NH-L9i on thursday.

Antec ISK110 (wich is why I had to get that NH-L9i)

The other one:
Ryzen 7/1700x

MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC (2x8GiB DDR4-2400)

Noctua NH-L12

Power Color RX480 Red Devil (with a pretty nice Heatsink)

Silverstone SX700-LPT

Silverstone Raven RVZ-01

To be honest, if I was looking to spend HX1000i money, I'd probably be more inclined to look at the Seasonic Prime Fanless 600W which is about the same price and gets excellent reviews wherever you look.

or the 450W SFX Fanless one ;)

But depending on your decision in the end it depends on what to really get. 

Though If you want it really quiet, I'd recommend going with bigger stuff so that you can fit full size Heatsinks, have good airflow for the Graphics Card and an ATX PSU.

If you want something small, you have to compromize and either live with higher noise or lower performance.

PS: Its not my first smal Form Factor PC. One of the first builds I did was with an Antec Aria.

Though at the Time with the K7 CPUs it wasn't that great as it wasn't a thing like it is today and the power consumption in normal operation was far higher...

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

wich is what I wasn't talking about....

Coil whine is just an extremely unpleasant thing that you don't even want. But there are other things that you can hear and can't do anything about them.

It is!
YOU claim something, YOU provide evidence, simple as that.

I don't have to prove anything.

And if I do, I try to prove my point with a Link that you should read. 

and what are you saying exactly?
Just dropping links is shit.

Wich is a lie as it is always the case with superlatives...

And others can be quieter. And there are better alternatives.

If you want the "Most Quiet" route with no care for the Money. How about the AX1600i?

Wich I can provide you with proof:

And now lets look at that:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_hx750/s08.php

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_rmx_2018/s09.php

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/be_quiet_straight_power_11/s09.php

And that looks like the be quiet is the quietest of those three...

Because you are recommending a PSU that he does not need, that offers him no advantage and don't have a PSU to compare it to or measure the fan RPM.

And you are wasting his money and just trying to force him to buy YOUR PSU. And just because you got it, doesn't mean its the best or that you should recommend it when there are alternatives that are better for his application. And there is for example the be quiet Straight POwer 11 Series wich is optimized for quiet operation. The 450W or 550W is plenty for his needs. No need to force a 225€ PSU on him. 

So you're clearly wrong here.

We don't and that is the point of providing 3rd party proof.

Because you are clearly biased in this regard because you own the PSU you are recommending...

And also have nothing (good) to compare it to as well. Well there are some people here that do have the ability to compare multiple PSU with each other. 

And a Fact is that moar Watt doesn't mean quieter operation. It just means more watt and nothing more.
And in many cases the higher wattage models have a higher RPM fan that also spins higher at lower loads.

Proof:

https://www.hartware.de/2012/11/27/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-10-650w/8/

Scroll down to the "Lautstärke und Spannungen" Picture. And look at that.

The 550W P10 at 100% has lower fan RPM than any other unit of this series at 10%.

yes and as a Corsair Representative (I believe it was Bluebeard) once told me:

We don't need no high quality fan, we have Zero RPM mode!!

Do I need to say more?!

Well, yes I do:
YOU don't have any benefit of this mode. NONE. 

With a good quality fan and a good fan controller, you don't hear a difference.

Because you come here with an oppionion and force your oppionion on others and won't see that you are clearly wrong here and that your choice is a bad idea for this case as there is no need for a 1200W PSU and its a waste of money. The saved money could be invested in one of the great games that will come next month.

you won't get a particularly quiet unit in the SFX Form factor as the size restrictions don't allow for good cooling and/or 25mm thick fans or designs that are optimized for airflow. 

In general:

If you want it all, go big (physically!)

With SFF/ITX Buidls you have to live with higher noise or lower performance but can't have it both ways!

Because to make something good, you sometimes just need the space to make it good. 

Seems like a reasonable response to me suggesting a zero RPM PSU.

I still don't fully understand your argument, the AX1600i and the HX1200i have extremely similar zero rpm fan profiles, OPs specs would not reach the threshold on either PSU:
Comparison.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102-4.html

The HX1200 would pretty clearly be more quiet than the be quiet! Straight Power 11 unless you are actually suggesting that it performs under 6dB even with the fan spinning...

OP is clearly looking to compromise between sound and price to an extent or he would buy the fanless Seasonic that he pointed out earlier.

Your civility proceeds you.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

You always have to look at the particular unit and not the manufacturer.

Though there are some manufacturers that are worse than others because of their company philosophy...

Well, there is one option and that's this:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=797

Again, if you are willing to pay for the price that is...

While ITX is smaller (and thus the case a bit lighter), it is also the biggest disadvantage as you are limited to low profile heatsinks like the Noctua NH-L12 or NH-L65.

And in some cases you have to go with something like the mentioned NH-L9 because you just don't have space for more than that.

Love the look of it, but I think that 450W Silverstone would be a bit underpowered for what I'm looking to run?

Yes, always a compromise. There are some cases I'm looking at with rad support for CPU though (Raijintek Ophion Evo for example), as that CPU clearance height is a big issue for sure. I do need some portability with my system though, so I am forced to go down the smaller route. I don't need it to be Raven size though.

The smaller the PSU the better, but it doesn't technically HAVE to be SFX. The Corsair ones I've realised are too big at 200mm. Even the Seasonic might be tight in some cases at 170mm, but that is going to be silent for sure. The Seasonic Prime Ultra (Platinum and new Snow Silent) are 140 mm x 150 mm x 86 mm, which seems quite compact. From Cybenetics test, this seems to perform rather well, and Jonny Guru rated it very high.

1 hour ago, TheAgnda said:

Seems like a reasonable response to me suggesting a zero RPM PSU.

I still don't fully understand your argument, the AX1600i and the HX1200i have extremely similar zero rpm fan profiles, OPs specs would not reach the threshold on either PSU:

The HX1200 would pretty clearly be more quiet than the be quiet! Straight Power 11 unless you are actually suggesting that it performs under 6dB even with the fan spinning...

OP is clearly looking to compromise between sound and price to an extent or he would buy the fanless Seasonic that he pointed out earlier.

Your civility proceeds you.

Unfortunately those Corsairs are just TOO big for the cases I'm looking at. Even the ITX cases that take ATX PSU's won't take those. I'm not actually bothered so much about cost, so the Fanless Seasonic isn't off the table.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

31 minutes ago, atomicus said:

I think that 450W Silverstone would be a bit underpowered for what I'm looking to run?

LOL, no.

We are talking about 200-250W nominal gaming load.

At worst maybe 300W in some situations.

We are talking about a lower powerish Gaming PC. CPU + GPU are around 200W TDP.

CPU is specified for just 105W TDP and GPU 120-150W.

A HDD is somewhere up to 15W at worst but most like 10W, 5-10W for an SSD, Rest really doesn't matter.

If you want to upgrade you have to keep the size restrictions in mind. A VEGA64 in an RVZ-02 isn't the best idea for example ;)

Yes, always a compromise. There are some cases I'm looking at with rad support for CPU though (Raijintek Ophion Evo for example), as that CPU clearance height is a big issue for sure.

I don't like that case.

Because it looks big. And it doesn't look much smaller than my Aerocool QS-200 (the old, silverish thing).

With that format, you could - in theory - build a normal standard ITX Mini Tower - and put a Scythe Fuma inside. 

And that is the Problem with many ITX Cases that they are rather large. That is also true for the Silverstone I have. 

Have you taken a look at other Cubes?

Like Cooler Master Elite 130?

There are also other Cases.

Andalso I'm not a fan of those AIO Water Coolers as the are unneccessary failure points that can even kill everthing...

Because they use rubber tubes that can get leaky and leak Water over all your components. And you have an additional moving device inside -> Pump. 

So if possbile I'd use "normal" Bricks where not much can go wrong. And the worst thing to happen is that it looses cooling performance but can't damage your hardware...

I do need some portability with my system though, so I am forced to go down the smaller route. I don't need it to be Raven size though.

So go with the Cooler Master Storm Trooper ;)

That is easily transportable as it has a handle to carry it.

But you should also consider the stability of for example the Graphics card. Or at least something you can do about it yourself. 

So you'd probably also be fine with a small µTX Tower, won't you?

Have you taken a look at Silverstones Sugo series?

The smaller the PSU the better, but it doesn't technically HAVE to be SFX.

Bitfenix Formula is 140mm short, somewhat quiet and good quality.

While there are some shorter ones here and there, I haven't seen one in good quality yet. Though I'm hoping to find one soon...

The Corsair ones I've realised are too big at 200mm. Even the Seasonic might be tight in some cases at 170mm, but that is going to be silent for sure. The Seasonic Prime Ultra (Platinum and new Snow Silent) are 140 mm x 150 mm x 86 mm, which seems quite compact. From Cybenetics test, this seems to perform rather well, and Jonny Guru rated it very high.

Well, those are a bit large for SFF Cases...

There are also some wich allow for ATX PSU like RVZ-01-E.

That version supports ATX PSU, though maximum 140mm long.

Even the ITX cases that take ATX PSU's won't take those. 

Exactly.

In those you'd want 140mm PSU, non modular ones as well. With as short cables as possible. But herein lies tha Problem that the ATX PSU are made with ATX Cases in mind, obviously, and have too long cables for SFF enviroments...

An example for that is the MT-350 from Antec that comes with the NSK-1480 Case. I wished the ATX Cable had 1/4th the Length it 

I'm not actually bothered so much about cost, so the Fanless Seasonic isn't off the table.

or the 450W Silverstone? :)

Anyway, my recommendations would be:
a) Look at µATX Towers and Cubes.

b) Look at Silverstone's Sugo series

Specific Recommendations:
I'd look at Silverstone RVZ-02, RVZ-03.

Cougar QBX, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Antec ISK 600, SilverStone Milo ML07 (wich I should have gotten as its cheaper and looks less shit than the RVZ-01), SilverStone Milo ML08

Take a look at Sugo SG-11.

And not get the one you mentioned...

14 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

LOL, no.

I think OP is referring to his original post in which he stated that he may upgrade to a 2080ti in the near future. 

2 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

I think OP is referring to his original post in which he stated that he may upgrade to a 2080ti in the near future. 

Yes, and?
Doesn't change much.

I used two 7970GHz/280X with a 550W and still not overload that PSU...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, and?
Doesn't change much.

I used two 7970GHz/280X with a 550W and still not overload that PSU...

I was referring to a 450w PSU, I too assume 550w would be fine even under synthetic load. 

7 hours ago, TheAgnda said:

I was referring to a 450w PSU, I too assume 550w would be fine even under synthetic load. 

Even for a VEGA64, without OC a 450W is enough.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

LOL, no.

We are talking about a lower powerish Gaming PC. CPU + GPU are around 200W TDP.

CPU is specified for just 105W TDP and GPU 120-150W.

A HDD is somewhere up to 15W at worst but most like 10W, 5-10W for an SSD, Rest really doesn't matter.

I don't like that case.

Because it looks big. And it doesn't look much smaller than my Aerocool QS-200 (the old, silverish thing).

With that format, you could - in theory - build a normal standard ITX Mini Tower - and put a Scythe Fuma inside. 

And that is the Problem with many ITX Cases that they are rather large. That is also true for the Silverstone I have. 

Have you taken a look at other Cubes?

Like Cooler Master Elite 130?

There are also other Cases.

So you'd probably also be fine with a small µTX Tower, won't you?

Have you taken a look at Silverstones Sugo series?

Anyway, my recommendations would be:
a) Look at µATX Towers and Cubes.

b) Look at Silverstone's Sugo series

Specific Recommendations:
I'd look at Silverstone RVZ-02, RVZ-03.

Cougar QBX, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Antec ISK 600, SilverStone Milo ML07 (wich I should have gotten as its cheaper and looks less shit than the RVZ-01), SilverStone Milo ML08

Take a look at Sugo SG-11.

And not get the one you mentioned...

If the 450W Nightjar is enough for my set-up, than that is definitely appealing. My only concern is if it is indeed enough.

I have x2 SSDs and x1 M.2, plus as mentioned a 2700X, 32GB RAM and potentially a 2080Ti further down the line. If I do have an AIO that does add a touch more.

Regards case, I do want a TG side panel, so that limits selection far more. I don't need it to be 'tiny', I just need it to be a bit more manageable and lighter than a full size ATX, as I move it from room to room in my house often.

Never had an issue with AIOs personally, and I've done a lot of custom loops and again never had any leaks there. I'd even consider custom cooling the CPU in an ITX build in the right case (I think adding in GPU to a loop would be a bit tricky), but again I'd still want a TG side panel. The Ophion ticks a lot of boxes and at an attractive price. There are a couple of rather nice ITX cases in development (which also feature TG and are smaller), but they look to be 3 times the price of the Ophion. Not that I'm in any urgent rush here. 

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Even for a VEGA64, without OC a 450W is enough.

1080ti overclocked takes upwards of 315w under peak load, 2700X has a default 105 TDP.

A reference 2080ti has a 250W TDP just like the 1080ti, but a founders 2080ti has another 10w on that.

That would leave him 20-30w conservatively for CPU OC and everything else in his build.

A 2700X with OC can extend far passed 130w, if he decided to OC I have no doubt he would exceed 450w under synthetic load.

It is a test bench after all.

10t80ti OC power consumption - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-oc,5225-4.html
2080ti TDP - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/
2700x OC power consumption - https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8602/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-5-2600x-review/index10.html

9 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

1080ti overclocked takes upwards of 315w under peak load, 2700X has a default 105 TDP.

A reference 2080ti has a 250W TDP just like the 1080ti, but a founders 2080ti has another 10w on that.

That would leave him 20-30w conservatively for CPU OC and everything else in his build.

2700X with OC can extend far passed 130w, if he decided to OC I have no doubt he would exceed 450w under synthetic load.

10t80ti OC power consumption - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-oc,5225-4.html
2080ti TDP - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/
2700x OC power consumption - https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8602/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-5-2600x-review/index10.html

Is there a point during gaming or other tasks (not benchmarks) that both the CPU and GPU would be drawing their max simultaneously... i.e 152W for the 2700X and 260W for the GPU (2080Ti)? I've not studied that 2700X review, but is that 152W factoring in the boost? I am not OC'ing my CPU as there is largely no point doing so with the 2700X, unless for hobby/benchmark reasons, which I have no interest in. Single core Precision Boost to 4.3GHz does a better job in gaming than a manual OC would achieve.

19 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Is there a point during gaming or other tasks (not benchmarks) that both the CPU and GPU would be drawing their max simultaneously... i.e 152W for the 2700X and 260W for the GPU (2080Ti)? I've not studied that 2700X review, but is that 152W factoring in the boost? I am not OC'ing my CPU as there is largely no point doing so with the 2700X, unless for hobby/benchmark reasons, which I have no interest in. Single core Precision Boost to 4.3GHz does a better job in gaming than a manual OC would achieve.

Nah, maybe certain mining applications.

If you plan for no overclocking or just modest overclocking then 450w would likely be enough.

7 hours ago, atomicus said:

Is there a point during gaming or other tasks (not benchmarks) that both the CPU and GPU would be drawing their max simultaneously... i.e 152W for the 2700X and 260W for the GPU (2080Ti)?

No, that's highly unlikely.

And in such small cases, you wouldn't OC anyway due to the size restriction.

I've not studied that 2700X review, but is that 152W factoring in the boost?

I have no idea how he got to that number, probably overclocked.

Because the AMD TDP means what it says and the CPU stays within that.

look at this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571-12.html

The peak power with the GPU is only possible with Power Virus programms like MSI Kombustor or Furmark, with Gaming its a bit lower.

Just seems amazing to me I could get away with 450W... I never thought that would be possible so it's tricky wrapping my head around it lol!

Dude, we're talking about a Small Form Factor system.

You do not overclock things in such an enviroment.

Your statement proves that you have never seen a Small Form Factor build in Real Life. I have two of those and I know what Small Form Factor is about and that OC in such a case is stupid.

You don't seem to know any of the Problems with such systems and the temperature restrictions...

Let me be blunt: With such Graphics cards, we would be talking about 90°C on the GPU at 50-100% fanspeed even with higher quality heatsink solutions because the temmperature inside the Case is so high and the air can not be moved fast enough to keep the GPU cool.

Yes, and?

The nVidia TDP is in the classical TDP Definition. That means that the Card won't violate the TDP under normal/useful load and only a  hand full situations there are where that can happen. And even if that does happen, modern chips have mechanisms to limit the current drawn and reduce the clockspeeds if they violate the TDP for a longer timeperiod.

Because you are misleading and arguing with overclocking in a Small Form Factor build!

I mentioned that my RX480 has Problems keeping cool in my RVZ-01 and that's a ~150W TDP Card and already has a pretty fat heatsin.

And you are seriously arguing with 300W+ Power COnsumption in a similar space?! 

You clearly have no idea what the heck you're talking about...

Get a Small Form Factor system and tinker a bit with that and inform yourself about the Problems of such systems!

Because you clearly don't have any experience with such systems.

A 2700X with OC can extend far passed 130w, if he decided to OC I have no doubt he would exceed 450w under synthetic load.

a) OC on AMD Ryzen is pretty much useless. Look at Linus Review. He archieved lower clocks with OC than at Default.

b) nobody who has experience with Small Form Factor builds would ever argue with OC ever!

On the contary, people who have experience with those things would recommend to set the Power Limit lower than Default!

ie -50% if possible, not +50%!

Because there is just no room for the power the Card produces and the Small Form Factor System can't deal with the additional heat.

But that is what we are talking about here!

It is a test bench after all.

...Small Form Factor, ITX, Booksizeish....

Without removing the Sidepanels no OC will be possible in such systems due to Size restrictions.

Why are you only arguing with OC Power Consumption?!
YOu wouldn't want that anyway.

And even with the GPU, you still have enough room for the CPU...

With 250W TDP we are still talking about 200W for the rest.

Yes, and? 

Even with VEGA64, a 450W is sufficient.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

And with that GPU you'd want to set the Power Limit slider to hard left anyway. Because it makes the most sense for this GPU.

Why the heck are you arguing with OC Power?!

And ignore the base/default power consumption...

THAT is really misleadind, dude...

If you plan for no overclocking or just modest overclocking then 450w would likely be enough.

Yes, that's what I was trying to tell you since the beginning.

OC in such small spaces is something you wouldn't want!

You have no temperature "headroom" inside such small spaces and also you don't really have much space for fans as well...

In the case he wants, its no different. Its even a situation where you might think about Blower Fan Graphics cards...

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Without removing the Sidepanels no OC will be possible in such systems due to Size restrictions.

In the case he wants, its no different. Its even a situation where you might think about Blower Fan Graphics cards...

In his defence, I did state in my initial post I was looking at a small test-bench set-up, but I've since moved away from that idea and am focusing more on an SFF build... although the Ophion case is a bit bigger than some might consider true SFF.

I don't think they are releasing a blower 2080/2080Ti.

6 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Just seems amazing to me I could get away with 450W... I never thought that would be possible so it's tricky wrapping my head around it lol!

Yeah, because People, who have no idea what they are talking about are telling you left and right that you need 600W for that setup - minimum. And some even recommend 750W, because they believe the shit from the Calculators and other people, wo also don't have Powermeters...

If you have a powermeter and actually measure the Power Consumption, its way lower than you would have thought.

Even with higher end systems, its usually in the 300-350W range...

And with OC you also have to weight power consumption vs. performance increase...

In some cases we are talking about things like +12,5% clockrate for +50% higher clockrates (sometimes even +100%)

Dude, we're talking about a Small Form Factor system.

You do not overclock things in such an enviroment.

Your statement proves that you have never seen a Small Form Factor build in Real Life. I have two of those and I know what Small Form Factor is about and that OC in such a case is stupid.

You don't seem to know any of the Problems with such systems and the temperature restrictions...

Let me be blunt: With such Graphics cards, we would be talking about 90°C on the GPU at 50-100% fanspeed even with higher quality heatsink solutions because the temmperature inside the Case is so high and the air can not be moved fast enough to keep the GPU cool.

Yes, and?

The nVidia TDP is in the classical TDP Definition. That means that the Card won't violate the TDP under normal/useful load and only a  hand full situations there are where that can happen. And even if that does happen, modern chips have mechanisms to limit the current drawn and reduce the clockspeeds if they violate the TDP for a longer timeperiod.

Because you are misleading and arguing with overclocking in a Small Form Factor build!

I mentioned that my RX480 has Problems keeping cool in my RVZ-01 and that's a ~150W TDP Card and already has a pretty fat heatsin.

And you are seriously arguing with 300W+ Power COnsumption in a similar space?! 

You clearly have no idea what the heck you're talking about...

Get a Small Form Factor system and tinker a bit with that and inform yourself about the Problems of such systems!

Because you clearly don't have any experience with such systems.

a) OC on AMD Ryzen is pretty much useless. Look at Linus Review. He archieved lower clocks with OC than at Default.

b) nobody who has experience with Small Form Factor builds would ever argue with OC ever!

On the contary, people who have experience with those things would recommend to set the Power Limit lower than Default!

ie -50% if possible, not +50%!

Because there is just no room for the power the Card produces and the Small Form Factor System can't deal with the additional heat.

Why are you only arguing with OC Power Consumption?!
YOu wouldn't want that anyway.

And even with the GPU, you still have enough room for the CPU...

With 250W TDP we are still talking about 200W for the rest.

Yes, and? 

Even with VEGA64, a 450W is sufficient.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

And with that GPU you'd want to set the Power Limit slider to hard left anyway. Because it makes the most sense for this GPU.

Why the heck are you arguing with OC Power?!

And ignore the base/default power consumption...

THAT is really misleadind, dude...

Yes, that's what I was trying to tell you since the beginning.

OC in such small spaces is something you wouldn't want!

You have no temperature "headroom" inside such small spaces and also you don't really have much space for fans as well...

I have a full room loop with radiators and pumps placed outside of my builds, it wouldn't matter if I loaded a 7980XE and a 1080ti into a NCase M1 and overclocked it to my heart's extent. Is this an extreme case? Sure, but it exists nonetheless.

I don't see how looking at every scenerio surrounding relevant hardware is somehow harmful.

I've done 2 builds in the Ncase m1, 4 builds in the Cooler Master Elite 130, and just last week did a build in Silverstone's Mini-STX case. The majority of computers I've built are in small form factor cases.

I never mislead in regards to TDP as I clearly mentioned the listed wattages as peak wattage while overclocked. It's not like I was trying to hide that information in any way. I was just saying there could be a scenerio with said hardware in-which you'd exceed 450w. 

When I originally entered the thread I read "most quiet PSU", "Test Bench", and saw unlocked hardware. I don't think it was unreasonable to suggest a zero RPM PSU or assume that someone running unlocked hardware in a "test bench" might overclock it. As I gained more information and a better understanding of the exact use case I can see why you'd want a different PSU and won't have to worry about overclocking. 

Whatever the case is I'm done elaborating and defending my points. There is nothing I could say or do that would quelm your insatiable thirst to prove me wrong. I have nothing against you, and I'd like to apologize for previous posts in-which I acted more aggressively than I should have.

I'd also like to apologize to OP for the thread getting so out of hand and far beyond anyone's control. It was never my intent to engage in politics but only to offer my sincere opinions and advice based on my own personal experience and knowledge. 

52 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

I'd also like to apologize to OP for the thread getting so out of hand and far beyond anyone's control. It was never my intent to engage in politics but only to offer my sincere opinions and advice based on my own personal experience and knowledge. 

No need to apologise, I've found all the info discussed very informative. :)