My compute keeps crashing and I think it’s due to the GTX 980ti

CharlieB
Go to solution Solved by RyzenDoctor,

Too many things could make that light go off... That light is attached to the card with a flimsy cable. If the card has trouble getting power from the PCIE slot or the cable the light could flicker off, or if the power delivery to the board is caput it could do it too... Too many things that without looking at the card closely with appropriate equipment would just fall into the area of conjecture and guess work. 

It is obviously hardware related though.

We bought a second hand msi gtx 980ti 6gb for Christmas and it recently has been bugging out a lot. I will add pictures of the issues at the end but to describe it the screen glitches out and these different coloured boxes apear all over the screen and then leads to the pc restarting. However some times while it’s been in this box covered state I’ve held down the power button and it’s the stopped and the screen then says shutting down and I don’t have time to cancel the shut down.

Other times it automatically restart it’s self, but usually this leads to the screen bugging out again during the windows loading screen, I will also add a picture of this, so I restart the pc again and it usually takes an average of about 2 or 3 tries before the pc actually loads into windows properly then when it does it is absolutely fine it runs really well at 60fps of most games like gta v on high settings which it should but then randomly it would crash into this box state again and starts the loop again.

So there is many reasons why this may be happening but all that we’ve trued have failed to fix the issue. Initially we thought the gpu may be over heating so we installed afterburner, this partly worked because it extended the time between crashes however it’s still happening, then we tried using older graphics drivers this also didn’t really help. I tried to bypass the gpu by plugging the vga straight into the motherboard, the issue stopped therefore I thought it must be an issue with the gpu however this could also mean it is an issue with the pcie port still I am is sure but I am upgrading my pc soon so that will expain if it is the pcie or the gpu. 

Still I’am unsure on how to fix this any feedback is greatly appreciated.

As is finished writing this the issue happened again while playing gta v 

C29E4D72-17DB-473A-A79C-F2BE5114D682.jpeg

A7ABC801-B8CD-4BD3-B340-2D9E5AA16F6D.jpeg

1333C23C-741A-43B4-9621-300FD395D9C1.jpeg

artifacts in the boot screen means the memory chip solders are failing or the memory chips themselves are dying. RMA if there's warranty or you're willing to pay for repairs, otherwise try the oven method.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

We bought a second hand msi gtx 980ti 6gb for Christmas and it recently has been bugging out a lot. I will add pictures of the issues at the end but to describe it the screen glitches out and these different coloured boxes apear all over the screen and then leads to the pc restarting. However some times while it’s been in this box covered state I’ve held down the power button and it’s the stopped and the screen then says shutting down and I don’t have time to cancel the shut down.

Other times it automatically restart it’s self, but usually this leads to the screen bugging out again during the windows loading screen, I will also add a picture of this, so I restart the pc again and it usually takes an average of about 2 or 3 tries before the pc actually loads into windows properly then when it does it is absolutely fine it runs really well at 60fps of most games like gta v on high settings which it should but then randomly it would crash into this box state again and starts the loop again.

So there is many reasons why this may be happening but all that we’ve trued have failed to fix the issue. Initially we thought the gpu may be over heating so we installed afterburner, this partly worked because it extended the time between crashes however it’s still happening, then we tried using older graphics drivers this also didn’t really help. I tried to bypass the gpu by plugging the vga straight into the motherboard, the issue stopped therefore I thought it must be an issue with the gpu however this could also mean it is an issue with the pcie port still I am is sure but I am upgrading my pc soon so that will expain if it is the pcie or the gpu. 

Still I’am unsure on how to fix this any feedback is greatly appreciate 

C29E4D72-17DB-473A-A79C-F2BE5114D682.jpeg

A7ABC801-B8CD-4BD3-B340-2D9E5AA16F6D.jpeg

Trippy =P

I think youre just missing something to smoke to appreciate this

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

By this do you mean the memory in the gpu or the RAM if it is the RAM I’m upgrading to ddr4 so this is not much of a issue 

Just now, CharlieB said:

By this do you mean the memory in the gpu or the RAM if it is the RAM I’m upgrading to ddr4 so this is not much of a issue 

this look more like the ram on your graphics card is up to no good.

Remember that before drawing anything on the screen it has to be constructed in vram. If the Vram or its soldering is damaged, this is what happens

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Yeah that makes sense. What is this oven method and do you think it would be better to get a professional to do it?

5 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

Yeah that makes sense. What is this oven method and do you think it would be better to get a professional to do it?

Here is the oven method

And here is what a professional thinks of this method

Your GPU is dying, Worry not as this can be fixed. If it's covered under warranty RMA it. If not there are a few ways to fix it.  

1. Underclock it and reboot. see if it removes the artifacts. If it does remove the artifacts (or even if it doesn't) get it out and remove the heatsink, Clean the GPU with Isopropyl alcohol and reapply the thermal paste. Check if the heatsink is clean and doesn't have any dust accumulation. Assemble everything and always check if you have connected the Heatsink fans while putting it back together, Put it back in the system and see if it works.

2. The second method involves cooking your card inside an oven (Not joking) Linus made a video on it a while back, you can check that out.

The card is second hand so I don’t know if the warranty is still covered is here any way I can check 

I’ve just noticed when it crashed the light that usually signifies the gpu is connected turnes off can anyone think of anything that may be the reason?

A398C09E-BF52-4830-BB7E-3D2B16DD28AC.jpeg

This could mean there’s a problem with the pcie but I’d like to hear an other opinion

Too many things could make that light go off... That light is attached to the card with a flimsy cable. If the card has trouble getting power from the PCIE slot or the cable the light could flicker off, or if the power delivery to the board is caput it could do it too... Too many things that without looking at the card closely with appropriate equipment would just fall into the area of conjecture and guess work. 

It is obviously hardware related though.

Well should I just take it to a repair shop then?

I can feel it is a hardware isssue, so gg man