Get RTX 2080/1080 Ti with basic 2400mhz ram or RTX 2070 with 3200mhz ram

Indominus-Rex

Im not so sure on whether i should cheap out on a used kit of ram thats rated at 2400MHz and go with an RTX 2080 ryzen 2600 combo or to get a more balanced system with new 3200MHz ram since I'll be playing at 1080p 144Hz and will be needing that extra CPU performance to avoid any bottlenecks. Also i do know that the 2600 will bottleneck a 1080 Ti level card but by how much? Would it even be worth considering a card of that level then?

If you had an Intel CPU I would say get the RTX 2080 because that would make much more of a performance difference but since you have a Ryzen CPU which is much more dependent on ram speed I'd recommend the RTX 2070 with the 3200MHz ram as 2400Mhz will likely lead you to a CPU bottleneck.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

37 minutes ago, mymande said:

can you list the exact ram?

Haven't actually bought the ram yet but lets use corsair lp 2400mhz ram as a placeholder for now and the 3200 kit would probably be the corsair vengeance pro rgb.

i would consider waiting for the benchmark of the new card so you will know how much your processor will bottleneck the 2080

3 minutes ago, mymande said:

i would consider waiting for the benchmark of the new card so you will know how much your processor will bottleneck the 2080

I think we all pretty much know that the 2080 will probably and most likely perform like a 1080 ti but i guess you are right.

6 minutes ago, Jaggsta said:

why don't just overclock the ram to 3200 from 2400

Don't quite fancy lowering the CL timings just for clockspeeds and also I've heard that DDR4 2400 only goes up to 2800? Unless you lower the CL timings which brings me back to the first statement.