Ultra slow laptop performance

Froger96

Hi all,

I was looking for some help, my girlfriend's laptop is extremely slow (over 2 minutes to boot plus an extra minute to load windows)

But it gets worse sometimes it's several minutes, today when turning it on, it was running at about 1 FPS when it was doing to loading circle of dots during start up.

I tried "resetting her pc" through windows as I didn't want to have to buy a new key potentially if I didn't have to. But it so still extremely slow especially for the spec. I know it could do with an SSD but my dad's old PC which has half the course and half the ram, and is on a hard drive still runs loads faster.

Something tells me her windows is just broken but how can I know. Do I just have to do a clean install or could there be something else?

Thank in advance

Spec: 4th gen i7 HQ CPU (can't remember exact model

8gb DDR 3 ram

750gb HDD

Nvidia 845m GPU

Her windows has been broken and buggy from the start but I would have through a pc reset would have helped as it deletes all the programmes.

But thank you for any help you guys can give.

Almost every one will say get a SSD in there.

it will make a world of difference

BUT, a clean installation of windows could help, also, how much space is left on the disk?

And what windows, 7, 8 10? or maybe even XP?

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

41 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

Almost every one will say get a SSD in there.

it will make a world of difference

BUT, a clean installation of windows could help, also, how much space is left on the disk?

And what windows, 7, 8 10? or maybe even XP?

I know, she will get an SSD but even with a hard drive it shouldn't be this bad. Like it was struggling when spinning the loading screen for starting windows. I feel like there is something more than just an SSD. As her laptop is pretty high performance but runs so much worse than a lot of worse performance machines.

I tried doing a simple format of her laptop but it might need to buy a new key of windows and reinstall from a USB

There is only 10 percent of her storage even being used. All the applications where deleted so not much on it.

Sorry forgot to say it's windows 10

Primarily I know she needs an SSD but even on a hard drive it shouldn't be this bad. And I want to fix the software before getting new hardware which of windows is broken won't really be worth it anyway 

Just now, Froger96 said:

I know, she will get an SSD but even with a hard drive it shouldn't be this bad. Like it was struggling when spinning the loading screen for starting windows. I feel like there is something more than just an SSD. As her laptop is pretty high performance but runs so much worse than a lot of worse performance machines.

I tried doing a simple format of her laptop but it might need to buy a new key of windows and reinstall from a USB

There is only 10 percent of her storage even being used. All the applications where deleted so not much on it.

Sorry forgot to say it's windows 10

Primarily I know she needs an SSD but even on a hard drive it shouldn't be this bad. And I want to fix the software before getting new hardware which of windows is broken won't really be worth it anyway 

Well it could always be deteriorating from use.

a headder in the HDD that has gone bad.

Moving while active can scratch the plates inside.

even magnetism can slow down a drive.

you can just reinstall windows and just get a licence key only.

could save some money on that one

Starting with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, your product key is no longer only attached to your hardware — you can also link it to your Microsoft account. This new change allows you to re-activate Windows 10 without having to contact Microsoft when you make significant changes to the hardware on your PC, including replacing the motherboard, processor, or hard drive.

This could Help you Reinstall without having to lose the key:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account