Need a switch

WereCat

I need a switch to test something... 

It needs to be inexpensive or at least be worth its price tag.

Must have 1Gb/s ports. 

Connections (all RJ45):

Internet to Switch

Switch to WiFi router

Switch to PC

(pretty basic)

Sure you're going direct to the switch with the WAN connection? You'll need something to perform NAT first, so normally it would go internet > router > switch > everything else. 

Do you need it to be managed? Any specific features? Or is it literally just to connect them up together?

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Sure you're going direct to the switch with the WAN connection? You'll need something to perform NAT first, so normally it would go internet > router > switch > everything else. 

Do you need it to be managed? Any specific features? Or is it literally just to connect them up together?

I need to figure out whether my router screws with my connection or whether it's just windows on all 3 PCs being stupid. 

Router over WiFi to Android devices works fine. 

Router over WiFi or cable to Windows PC, upload is severely crippled but download is fine. 

I cant go Internet straight to PC to test. 

Anyway, I have been troubleshooting this for a long time with no success, I don't want to go into details now, I just want to figure out whether going switch to PC will fix the upload. If not, I will return the switch. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I need to figure out whether my router screws with my connection or whether it's just windows on all 3 PCs being stupid. 

Router over WiFi to Android devices works fine. 

Router over WiFi or cable to Windows PC, upload is severely crippled but download is fine. 

I cant go Internet straight to PC to test. 

Anyway, I have been troubleshooting this for a long time with no success, I don't want to go into details now, I just want to figure out whether going switch to PC will fix the upload. If not, I will return the switch. 

Well, if it's just that, then pretty much any non-managed switch from a known brand would be acceptable. 

That said, if you can't go direct from the modem/line in to your PC, you almost certainly won't be able to go from modem/line in to the switch then to the PC either.

a light switch

Seriously though, I use some random TrendNet 8 port gigabit switch and it's been chugging along just great

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Well, if it's just that, then pretty much any non-managed switch from a known brand would be acceptable. 

That said, if you can't go direct from the modem/line in to your PC, you almost certainly won't be able to go from modem/line in to the switch then to the PC either.

Noted. 

The strange thing is that it used to work before (Internet to PC). 

Now the PC doesn't even detect any ethernet connection if I do that. 

No modem. Just RJ45 coming to my apartment trough the wall. 

Is it an RJ45 cable or a socket?  Have you tried a different cable?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Is it an RJ45 cable or a socket?  Have you tried a different cable?

Cable is fine and I cant try a different one

You can't be sure its "fine" from just looking, or even if it happens to work to one client and not another.  There have been several people on here recently with a similar issue to yours and I believe one replacing the cable fixed it, another had bent pics in the Ethernet port on their PC.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7