Alienware Aurora R7 really bad heating issues

boey
On 12/20/2018 at 9:58 PM, jake929 said:

I own an alienware aurora r7. My model has an i7 8700, and gtx1070 (upgrading to 2080 ti shortly). I am ruinning the stock AIO liquid cooling solution, and have noticed no issue with excessive heat on either my graphics card or cpu. everything has been fine in both idle and under load. I cam curious to see how the 2080 ti handles though.

The stock AIO does a great job, i used to sell them at Fry's i ran all kinds of stress test on different kinds of prebuilts when i worked there, i never got to open it up, but where does the AIO mount? is it up at the top?  OP could just find the aio on ebay or something 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

not saying this is your problem, but dell, well alienware so far as i have experienced doesnt use good thermal paste, i have had to repaste my pc because of aweful thermals, i couldnt even run games on low without throttling, but i repasted and its much much better

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

9 hours ago, Tristerin said:

(33-35c)91 - 95F ambient temp?  Jesus.

That is the first thing to fix if you want better thermals.  The air entering my case is 21c

On the bottom pic it looks like you could mount a 120mm AIO as top exhaust.  Since I see no other exhaust worthy ports on that case, is it using the top (I THINK I see a fan)

Yeah front 120mm intake, top 120mm exhaust.

(33-35c)91 - 95F ambient temp?  Jesus.

That is the first thing to fix if you want better thermals.  The air entering my case is 21c

There is a law in my country where you cannot have more than 3 air conditioning units in a 5-room flat(I’m in a five room flat) which means only the bedrooms can achieve lower than 30C ambient, and my PC is in the living room. Ambient temps are basically the same as outside temps

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, _d0nut said:

There is a law in my country where you cannot have more than 3 air conditioning units in a 5-room flat(I’m in a five room flat) which means only the bedrooms can achieve lower than 30C ambient, and my PC is in the living room. Ambient temps are basically the same as outside temps

Well then...

I would replace the thermal paste with the best I could afford/get in my country

I would then clean the crap out of everything (remove all dust from PC case)

I would then add more fans anywhere I could zip tie them to create as much intake/exhaust as possible, I wouldn't care which you achieve (positive or negative air pressure) because eliminating hot spots is all that matters

I would then try to "duct" my CPU coolers exhaust out of the case using plexi/acrylic/dryer tubing (especially if you don't want to buy the AIO that could come with it)

I would also try keeping the case open air if nothing else works.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Well then...

I would replace the thermal paste with the best I could afford/get in my country

I would then clean the crap out of everything (remove all dust from PC case)

I would then add more fans anywhere I could zip tie them to create as much intake/exhaust as possible, I wouldn't care which you achieve (positive or negative air pressure) because eliminating hot spots is all that matters

I would then try to "duct" my CPU coolers exhaust out of the case using plexi/acrylic/dryer tubing (especially if you don't want to buy the AIO that could come with it)

I would also try keeping the case open air if nothing else works.

Opening the case works a little. As for the DIY stuff, I’m too lazy to do that so I’ll just be getting completely new parts(except cpu and gpu). The case I’m getting has intakes on the bottom that line up with the GPU and since my GPU is a blower it would create like a small current of airflow(air enters through bottom, goes into gpu, gpu exhausts it out and since heat rises, it doesn’t go back into the bottom intake). Think it would help a lot. I’m using a Cryorig H7 with the i5-8400 too so it’s a little overkill and I should be able to get decent temps