Using Storage Server for Tax Clients (Drake '17), need help.

My uncle is trying to get into helping others with taxes! And he needs a server, to keep all of his clients data. 

Heres the thing, Drake Software - the software he and many uses - doesn't use separate files for each client he writes up. This is a problem.

Instead of making a new file, all of the clients he writes up are all bundled into the same directory of the Drake application itself! (I cant really explain it)

This is troubling because he needs to use multiple computers, and not just his one weeny pink 2009 dell with a dent in it (hey, taxes are frustrating :/)

I thought about making a share, and setting it up as a Z: drive, but then like i said before I need it to work on multiple computers.

Also I need the server to work offsite as well, as in when hes done working at the shop he still has access securely at home.

Anyone have ideas to how to overcome these? Im pretty entry into server stuff.

You could do a data base. Every one is writing what he have to wright and upload it to the server. If your uncle does that for them, it is even easier due the fact that he don't need to create a clients server to allow them to write their stuff.By answering at this question I could give you a more on point solution.

8 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

You could do a data base. Every one is writing what he have to wright and upload it to the server. If your uncle does that for them, it is even easier due the fact that he don't need to create a clients server to allow them to write their stuff.By answering at this question I could give you a more on point solution.

It doesn’t work that way. He writes up for the client. Clients is just the name of “files” so to speak. And I don’t think people writing to our server is kinda ehhh. Plus my problem is I can’t upload anything to the server, only have the whole program in it. This is really weird I can’t really explain it

edit we are also gonna use a database for emails/numbers, and their files so that’s good, but we still need the tax program 

All you mean is the fact that you need to upload data in program, right?  And why is he using multiple PCs? I don't get that part, sorry.

Have the tax software running on 1 computer with daily backups and use the other computers to remote into it?

48 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

All you mean is the fact that you need to upload data in program, right?  And why is he using multiple PCs? I don't get that part, sorry.

Like i said in the post, when he’s working at home.

41 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Have the tax software running on 1 computer with daily backups and use the other computers to remote into it?

Not neccisarly an elegant solution but I’ll think about it.

1 hour ago, youmanyousef said:

Like i said in the post, when he’s working at home.

My question was why not when xD 

2 hours ago, Zagna said:

I wouldn't trust any remote apps with my taxes. On LAN from server yeah, but to use apps for LAN or WAN never.

11 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

My question was why not when xD 

Well I told you why xD when he’s at home!

and yeah I do agree with you on remoting into the computer is inelegant but for now it’s my only choice really and also I still need help lol

2 minutes ago, youmanyousef said:

Well I told you why xD when he’s at home!

and yeah I do agree with you on remoting into the computer is inelegant but for now it’s my only choice really and also I still need help lol

Now i get what you mean xD My father use for his job a VPN created for employees. When he is connected to that VPN he can upload stuff to their servers. All the employees are working from home or on field. You need to setup a VPN and something like a VM to be able to access it remotely. Like that he can connect to vpn, he acces the VM via VNC or something similar and voila, he use same pc to do his tax services 

2 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

Now i get what you mean xD My father use for his job a VPN created for employees. When he is connected to that VPN he can upload stuff to their servers. All the employees are working from home or on field. You need to setup a VPN and something like a VM to be able to access it remotely. Like that he can connect to vpn, he acces the VM via VNC or something similar and voila, he use same pc to do his tax services 

Seems ? but I’ll check on some other forums, and actually read this 40+ page network manual online ? god I’m not that good

@youmanyousef on unraid I'm familiar how to do it and it is easy too, but the tricky part is to get that 100Mbps down for VPN at server end

On 8/13/2018 at 2:14 AM, youmanyousef said:

My uncle is trying to get into helping others with taxes! And he needs a server, to keep all of his clients data. 

Heres the thing, Drake Software - the software he and many uses - doesn't use separate files for each client he writes up. This is a problem.

Instead of making a new file, all of the clients he writes up are all bundled into the same directory of the Drake application itself! (I cant really explain it)

This is troubling because he needs to use multiple computers, and not just his one weeny pink 2009 dell with a dent in it (hey, taxes are frustrating :/)

I thought about making a share, and setting it up as a Z: drive, but then like i said before I need it to work on multiple computers.

Also I need the server to work offsite as well, as in when hes done working at the shop he still has access securely at home.

Anyone have ideas to how to overcome these? Im pretty entry into server stuff.

So a program like that is likely storing all client data inside a single Database. This Database is contained within the folder usually as a single file - they often end in .mdb file extensions, but can take many forms.

I would suggest the best course of action would be:

1. Create a file server - this can be an old repurposed desktop, a NAS "appliance" (like QNAP or Synology NAS boxes), an actual Server, or anything in between.

2. Create a network share

3. Map this network share to all of his computers

4. Copy the database file to the network share

5. Install the tax software onto each computer - point the program to the database file on the share

6. Either use another NAS, or a set of external HDD's to perform frequent backups to. Ideally, you would backup to a daily drive, and then also backup to a weekly drive, which you rotate offsite (or alternatively, a 2nd NAS/File Server hosted at his home or something)

7. Create a VPN Server at the office - this can sometimes be done by the router, if it's business grade - if not, you can set one up on the NAS or File Server

8. Configure the VPN Server to have access to the database file and the network share

9. Install a VPN Client (or use built-in) on any of his computers that will need remote access - this includes ones that might also be used locally inside the office

10. Connect to the VPN, and map the network share - once connected, this should work as if you're inside the office.

11. Point the tax software to the database file as before.

Now you've got the rough outline for a plan of action - should you choose to use this proposed setup (or adapt it to your own needs).

Note: whether or not you can run the tax software on multiple computers simultaneously will depend on how the software works. Unless it specifically states otherwise, I would assume it will lock the database file when the program accesses it, and will prevent other clients from accessing the file. If this is the case, simply remember to only use the tax software on one computer at a time.

If you need multiple computers to access at once, you will need to ensure the software has network/multi-user connectivity options.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I would suggest the best course of action would be: SNIP

Now you've got the rough outline for a plan of action - should you choose to use this proposed setup (or adapt it to your own needs).

It seems pretty A-OK! Ill try that on my own time later.

20 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Note: whether or not you can run the tax software on multiple computers simultaneously will depend on how the software works. Unless it specifically states otherwise, I would assume it will lock the database file when the program accesses it, and will prevent other clients from accessing the file. If this is the case, simply remember to only use the tax software on one computer at a time.

If you need multiple computers to access at once, you will need to ensure the software has network/multi-user connectivity options.

Its fine, The only person using it at the moment is him only. Its a small side business thing.

On 2018-08-15 at 7:23 PM, youmanyousef said:

It seems pretty A-OK! Ill try that on my own time later.

Its fine, The only person using it at the moment is him only. Its a small side business thing.

Cool. Let me know how you get along, am definitely interested in following updates to your setup. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)