Troubleshooting my upgrade to EVGA GTX 760

Go to solution Solved by Ashleyyyy,
Just now, isjosh said:

I'll let you know if it works, wish me luck.

good luck :) 

story (can skip)

I only recently discovered LTT(last 3 months), and I have been going through a lot of the content. One of the videos suggested looking at used mid-range graphics cards and my current card was getting quite old.(9500 GT) I found a GTX 760 locally for what I thought was a good price (35$) and picked up the card at the person's office.

Hardware

i7 870

ASUS p7P55D-E Pro

2 SSDs 2 mechanical

BluRay burner

a 9500 gt replaced by the gtx 760

The PSU was built into the Antec Sonata III case and is listed as 500W 80+ bronze

Upgrade Process

Before purchase I usd coolermaster's PSU calculator to make sure that I would have enough. It said 500W was good. (though the recommended was a 650W psu)

I backed up all my files. removed the old card. cleaned. installed the new card. booted into windows. everything was looking good (albeit in the pre-display driver mode) then as I was looking at my desktop at about the time that windows 10 downloads and installs new drivers it died. So, I forced turned off the machine. Tried again. Didn't make it into the login screen. Opened the case and unplugged everything but the essential (boot drive, GPU, mouse and keyboard.)

I've tried different cables(dvi and hdmi) and monitors all with varying success in reaching the desktop, but never able to do anything more on the desktop where it either goes black or the image freezes.

I tried to be as thorough with information as possible, but I don't know. Any help would be great thanks.

Josh

swap the cards back and see if it works?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

describe "died".. did the display go black, did it show artifacting, etc...

She/Her

27 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

swap the cards back and see if it works?

Swapped to the old card. After a few moments of windows readjusting, it seems to be working fine on the old card.

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

describe "died".. did the display go black, did it show artifacting, etc...

The first time during the initial driver load, the screen went black. Subsequent times the windows logo would show up the balls start spinning then they freeze.  After switching to another monitor, windows loaded and made it to the desktop. It either froze or went black here.

Just now, isjosh said:

Swapped to the old card. After a few moments of windows readjusting, it seems to be working fine on the old card.

The first time during the initial driver load, the screen went black. Subsequent times the windows logo would show up the balls start spinning then they freeze.  After switching to another monitor, windows loaded and made it to the desktop. It either froze or went black here.

might just be bad drivers. did you uninstall the drivers for your old card before installing the new one? otherwise they might be conflicting. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

might just be bad drivers. did you uninstall the drivers for your old card before installing the new one? otherwise they might be conflicting. 

No, I didn't; I did not know that was good practice. What steps should I take. I do not want to uninstall and then be unable to return to the old GPU if that doesn't work. Should I manually download the drivers for the new gpu. Maybe tell windows not to auto install drivers?

Are we certain that the psu is not the issue.

3 minutes ago, isjosh said:

No, I didn't; I did not know that was good practice. What steps should I take. I do not want to uninstall and then be unable to return to the old GPU if that doesn't work. 

if you uninstall drivers for your old card but want to put it back in if the 760 still doesn't work, you'll get booted into that low resolution display mode you saw earlier, and then you can just install the drivers for the old card again. 

4 minutes ago, isjosh said:

I manually download the drivers for the new gpu. Maybe tell windows not to auto install drivers?

manually download the drivers for the new card, uninstall drivers for the old card, put the new card in, unplug your internet so windows won't start installing drivers on it's own, install the drivers you downloaded, reboot, plug network back in, done :) 

6 minutes ago, isjosh said:

Are we certain that the psu is not the issue.

i don't know. i'm not familiar with that generation of i7 and how much power that uses... 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if you uninstall drivers for your old card but want to put it back in if the 760 still doesn't work, you'll get booted into that low resolution display mode you saw earlier, and then you can just install the drivers for the old card again. 

manually download the drivers for the new card, uninstall drivers for the old card, put the new card in, unplug your internet so windows won't start installing drivers on it's own, install the drivers you downloaded, reboot, plug network back in, done :) 

i don't know. i'm not familiar with that generation of i7 and how much power that uses... 

Just now, isjosh said:

good luck :) 

She/Her