Is this build good enough for sub $700

Go to solution Solved by AkagiFD,

@Vapor3oN I changed to a 8GB video card, the ASRock card doesn't look too great to me. Looks kinda sketchy

Updated:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sqKpzY

Here is the link to PC Part Picker; please give me recommendations with an explanation as to why I should change that particular part! Also, please keep note that I would like it below $700. Much thanks and appreciation!

PC Build

I will use this PC to work and study, and to play games on the weekends. Games will probably be Fortnite, Garry's Mod, or CS:GO.

I already bought my monitor, the Asus MG248QR, 144hz with FreeSync. Buddy of mine said he gets 150+ fps on Fortnite and his PC is a $600 prebuilt. He says I should be able to exceed that, especially on medium settings, which I said was totally alright with me.

3 minutes ago, AkagiFD said:

Here is the link to PC Part Picker; please give me recommendations with an explanation as to why I should change that particular part! Also, please keep note that I would like it below $700. Much thanks and appreciation!

PC Build

I will use this PC to work and study, and to play games on the weekends. Games will probably be Fortnite, Garry's Mod, or CS:GO.

Try this with a nvidia card. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fyTC4q

2 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Try this with a nvidia card. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fyTC4q

Why would he want that? To lose support for Freesync, get a worse performing card and to get much less VRAM?

6 minutes ago, AkagiFD said:

-snip-

Changed the motherboard to a cheaper one. The B350F is absolutely not worth it for that price. 

Changed to 16GB of much faster RAM. 

Added a 240GB SSD. Even a crappy one will be better than nothing. 

Changed the PSU to the CX450M. A completely different PSU, one that isn't crap. 

It's $20 over budget, assuming you'll use rebates. Drop the HDD and add one later, if it isn't possible to get it. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.89 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: *Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 580 8GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $718.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 19:59 EDT-0400

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why would he want that? To lose support for Freesync, get a worse performing card and to get much less VRAM?

Changed the motherboard to a cheaper one. The B350F is absolutely not worth it for that price. 

Changed to 16GB of much faster RAM. 

Added a 240GB SSD. Even a crappy one will be better than nothing. 

Changed the PSU to the CX450M. A completely different PSU, one that isn't crap. 

It's $20 over budget, assuming you'll use rebates. Drop the HDD and add one later, if it isn't possible to get it. 

Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.89 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: *Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 580 8GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $718.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 19:59 EDT-0400

Isn't 240GB of storage a little too little?

1 minute ago, AkagiFD said:

Isn't 240GB of storage a little too little?

As long as you uninstall the games you don't play as much and don't store too much media, it should be fine

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

As long as you uninstall the games you don't play as much and don't store too much media, it should be fine

250GB is nothing. I have a 1TB SSD that doesn't have everything installed in the red.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

250GB is nothing. I have a 1TB SSD that doesn't have everything installed in the red.

So you're saying to go with the 1TB hdd?

I recommend that you change the Ryzen 5 1600 for the 2600 if you can afford it because the better clock speed will help with gaming and you mentioned that you play CS:GO which is a CPU intensive game. If you can afford it, I STRONGLY recommend that you upgrade that ram. 8gb is too little for gaming nowdays but with the games you're playing you can stick with 2x4gb for now, but please upgrade the speed. Higher memory speeds make more of an impact on Ryzen CPUs than Intel CPUs because of how they are designed and that 2133mhz (the slowest DD4 speed available) is going to hurt your performance. I recommend that you upgrade to 2666mhz ram or higher and I have included the sticks that I recommend on PCPartpicker. I don't know too much about Ryzen mobos since I have an Intel CPU, however PCPart picker is saying the one that you had chosen is not compatible with the 2600 so you might want to change that if you decide to go with the 2600. Also, you might want to change your power supply. Corsair CX power supplies are their lower quality PSUs and they probably won't last very long. I would recommend a CS for your budget which are the next models up and they are made to better standards. You could even get a Corsair TX power supply which are great quality but they may be too expensive. I recommend a CS550M for your budget though. (I put the TX550M which is better on PCPart Picker because for some reason it's saying the CS costs more. Here is a link to the page on Corsair PSUs https://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-all-corsair-power-supply-units/ .)I also strongly recommend at least a 128gb SSD. Putting Windows and the applications that you use the most on it will make a huge difference to loading times. I put the Samsung 850 Evo on PCPartpicker. If you don't care too much about loading times don't worry about it though. Without changing your MOBO which you would have to do, it comes up to $807. You can remove the SSD to get the price down if you don't want it. Everything I recommend is updated on this PCPartPicker list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C4QqP3

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

2 minutes ago, AkagiFD said:

@seon123 also, why were the RAM cards split?

Oops nevermind, I'm dumb lol

2 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

I recommend that you change the Ryzen 5 1600 for the 2600 if you can afford it because the better clock speed will help with gaming and you mentioned that you play CS:GO which is a CPU intensive game. If you can afford it, I STRONGLY recommend that you upgrade that ram. 8gb is too little for gaming nowdays but with the games you're playing you can stick with 2x4gb for now, but please upgrade the speed. Higher memory speeds make more of an impact on Ryzen CPUs than Intel CPUs because of how they are designed and that 2133mhz (the slowest DD4 speed available) is going to hurt your performance. I recommend that you upgrade to 2666mhz ram or higher and I have included the sticks that I recommend on PCPartpicker. I don't know too much about Ryzen mobos since I have an Intel CPU, however PCPart picker is saying the one that you had chosen is not compatible with the 2600 so you might want to change that if you decide to go with the 2600. Also, you might want to change your power supply. Corsair CX power supplies are their lower quality PSUs and they probably won't last very long. I would recommend a CS for your budget which are the next models up and they are made to better standards. You could even get a Corsair TX power supply which are great quality but they may be too expensive. I recommend a CS550M for your budget though. (I put the TX550M which is better on PCPart Picker because for some reason it's saying the CS costs more. Here is a link to the page on Corsair PSUs https://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-all-corsair-power-supply-units/ .)I also strongly recommend at least a 128gb SSD. Putting Windows and the applications that you use the most on it will make a huge difference to loading times. I put the Samsung 850 Evo on PCPartpicker. If you don't care too much about loading times don't worry about it though. Without changing your MOBO which you would have to do, it comes up to $807. You can remove the SSD to get the price down if you don't want it. Everything I recommend is updated on this PCPartPicker list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C4QqP3

Thanks for the explanations, I will be sure to take everything you said into consideration!

8 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

Do I just need the SSD, or do I need to buy the HDD too?

Do I just need the SSD, or do I need to buy the HDD too?

Definitely both. 128gb is nowhere near enough storage. Even if you find a cheap SSD it will still make a big difference but the 850 Evo I recommended is a good choice.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Storage:

@seon123 @AidenBear I think I will stay with the WD 1TB HDD. 1TB is the space I want and need, and in regards to what Aiden said, I don't mind the slightly slower load times.

Ram:

I have chosen the ones you recommended @AidenBear

CPU:

I have chosen to stay with the AMD Ryzen 5 1600.

PSU:

@AidenBear I changed the branding on the PSU to a Cooler Master 550 I believe.

Here's the new link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZsNqP3

Storage:

@seon123 @AidenBear I think I will stay with the WD 1TB HDD. 1TB is the space I want and need, and in regards to what Aiden said, I don't mind the slightly slower load times.

Ram:

I have chosen the ones you recommended @AidenBear

CPU:

I have chosen to stay with the AMD Ryzen 5 1600.

PSU:

@AidenBear I changed the branding on the PSU to a Cooler Master 550 I believe.

Here's the new link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZsNqP3

It looks good to me.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

4 minutes ago, AkagiFD said:

Yeah.... No. Still the overpriced motherboard, still not very fast RAM, and still 8GB of it. It's clear from their comment that @AidenBear hasn't got a clue about PSUs, so disregard that. 

Removing the SSD isn't a slight change in loading time, it's massive. And overall, the system will feel sluggish. 

Total: $678.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 21:05 EDT-0400

23 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Yeah.... No. Still the overpriced motherboard, still not very fast RAM, and still 8GB of it. It's clear from their comment that @AidenBear hasn't got a clue about PSUs, so disregard that. 

Removing the SSD isn't a slight change in loading time, it's massive. And overall, the system will feel sluggish. 

Total: $678.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 21:05 EDT-0400

Mate, I have every clue what I'm talking about in relation to Corsair PSUs. If you think I'm wrong check the link I included about the different Corsair PSUs. I recommended 8gb of ram because he is on a very tight budget and 16gb will go way over. If you looked at the games he said he plays, 8gb is enough for all of them. I also recommended 2666mhz because he is on a tight budget and that speed is fine for his budget. Yes 3000mhz will perform better but he's trying to keep costs down. That's why he chose to go with that ram. I agree with you that SSDs make a huge difference for loading time and not having one makes the system feel sluggish, but he would rather have a slower system and stick to his budget @AkagiFD I do really recommend that you get an SSD though, even if it's a cheap 120gb one.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

7 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

Mate, I have every clue what I'm talking about in relation to Corsair PSUs. If you think I'm wrong check the link I included about the different Corsair PSUs

No, you don't. Using that site doesn't help you; it does the opposite. Actually having knowledge of PSUs would show that you have any clue. 

The grey label CX is completely different from the green label ones, and don't have your claimed issues. The CSM is EOL and have been for quite a while. The TXM (the new version with the grey label) is an updated and improved CSM. The reason the CSM costs more is because it's discontinued. 

10 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

I recommended 8gb of ram because he is on a very tight budget and 16gb will go way over. If you looked at the games he said he plays, 8gb is enough for all of them

No, it won't go over. The list I put together disproves that. Just don't waste money, and there's a budget for it. Alternatively, removing one of the sticks and adding a decent 250GB SSD. 

12 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

I also recommended 2666mhz because he is on a tight budget and that speed is fine for his budget. Yes 3000mhz will perform better but he's trying to keep costs down. That's why he chose to go with that ram

No. There's a 3000MHz 2x4GB kit for $1 more, and two faster 1x8GB kits for less than the kit you chose. 

23 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No, you don't. Using that site doesn't help you; it does the opposite. Actually having knowledge of PSUs would show that you have any clue. 

The grey label CX is completely different from the green label ones, and don't have your claimed issues. The CSM is EOL and have been for quite a while. The TXM (the new version with the grey label) is an updated and improved CSM. The reason the CSM costs more is because it's discontinued. 

No, it won't go over. The list I put together disproves that. Just don't waste money, and there's a budget for it. Alternatively, removing one of the sticks and adding a decent 250GB SSD. 

No. There's a 3000MHz 2x4GB kit for $1 more, and two faster 1x8GB kits for less than the kit you chose. 

Although I do agree that the price for the mobo is a bit higher, it has five stars from at least 64 people compared to the 32 who rated around 4.4 stars of the ASRck mobo. I am willing to pay a bit more for a higher quality mobo, after all, it is the part that binds every other part together in a PC

Just now, AkagiFD said:

Although I do agree that the price for the mobo is a bit higher, it has five stars from at least 64 people compared to the 32 who rated around 4.4 stars of the ASRck mobo. I am willing to pay a bit more for a higher quality mobo, after all, it is the part that binds every other part together in a PC

Customer reviews are useless, and a good way to have a laugh. Using them to decide on a motherboard is pointless. You won't get a better board, you'll get the board with the biggest cult following. 

29 minutes ago, AkagiFD said:

Updated the build list to meet in the middle of the two conflicting opinions. HDD-wise, I will add a SSD after the build is finished if I see the need

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ym4nyX

You changed the motherboard for a terrible one. The Gigabyte 4 phase VRM on B350 is aweful, it's the second worst VRM on B350

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

You changed the motherboard for a terrible one. The Gigabyte 4 phase VRM on B350 is aweful, it's the second worst VRM on B350

what is the first worst

Just now, AkagiFD said:

what is the first worst

The MSI B350M Gaming Pro.