Is this normal?

jooroth18

So i have a fiber connection to the internet with a 150/150 package from frontier. when i ping 8.8.8.8, i typically get a ping time of 9 to 10 ms. but when i put a load on the connection, it spikes to 110-150 ms ping. Is this normal for a fiber connection?

Have you tried any other IP address's? Maybe it is just that specific one. It also wouldn't seem odd that a network under load would be slower than one that isn't although that is substantially slower. Try to do some more testing with other ip's

My system-Core i7 6950X, AsusX99 DeluxeII, 128gb Crucial DDR4, Corsair 900D Titan X, Asus Thunderbolt EXII Card,Quadro M4000,Intel X540 network card

looks like a slow router.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

You all have no idea what you're talking about.

If you're saturating your connection you will observe latency as your packets are queued and compete for bandwidth that isn't readily available.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

How much of a load? If you load the whole connection up, yes, the latency will go up normally. It's packet war in the router as mentioned above.

I'm able to usually keep 50% load and still have 8-9ms ping, but if i flood the connection, ping shoots up as expected.

Oh, are you using the Fios Quantum Router?

On 8/10/2018 at 12:52 AM, scottyseng said:

How much of a load? If you load the whole connection up, yes, the latency will go up normally. It's packet war in the router as mentioned above.

I'm able to usually keep 50% load and still have 8-9ms ping, but if i flood the connection, ping shoots up as expected.

Oh, are you using the Fios Quantum Router?

sorry for the late reply, im using a PFsense Router.

Without enabling QoS and capping the upload rate to slightly lower than your maximum then yes, that is normal.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I'd be curious to have more details.  How are you stressing the network?  Are you pinging from the same device that is causing the stress?  It could be a bottleneck with the NIC on your device trying to push whatever you are using to stress the network.  Try pinging and stressing from two different devices on the LAN and see if you still have higher times on your ping.