best cpu for adobe premiere

my nephew has a old amd 6600k that he uses for video editing, he is planning to upgrade cpu, motherboard and ram

while we buy the rest of the parts we bought a laptop for similar purpose, video editing, the laptop has a i5 8250u, he ran a test on the laptop with a project he had used previously on the desktop, the desktop took 2 hours, the laptop took 15 minutes

i don't know the details, but i wasn't expecting such impresive results, i was expecting the laptop to do it double the desktop speed, not 8 times faster!

i was going to build a ryzen desktop for him, but now i don't know if go for intel route

the desktop while old is not that bad, has 16 gbs of ram, a gtx 750ti and a couple of hard disks and ssds, the laptop has just a hard disk and 8 gbs of ram single channel with no gpu aprt from the intel one a hd620 i think

any recomendation on what to purchase and perhaps a idea of why those results were so different

The difference shouldn't be that big and the 6600k should be better if I'm not mistaken.

Are you using the same version of Premiere and export settings and hardware accelerated encoding? Have you installed Intel graphics drivers for the desktop?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 minutes ago, goto10 said:

The laptop probably has intel quick sync support or something

If premiere get an i7 8700, or if you need to do like game live streaming get the Ryzen 8 core

though I'd highly suggest Vegas over premiere so you aren't paying a monthly fee.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

A ryzen 5 2600 or a i5-8400 would work. Mabye look at getting a r7 1800x on sale.

the 6600k, is the amd not the intel, is a old fm2 cpu from 2013 i think i build it

i was thinking about the intel quick sync too, is the only thing i can think of that could push this fast, i know this new i5 is 4 cores and 8 threads but that is 8 times the performance of the old amd, i was just expecting 2 times the performance at best

the gtx i think is just being used in editing, but i don't know much about adobe, just some details so perhaps i am not doing something right on the desktop

6 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

A ryzen 5 2600 or a i5-8400 would work. Mabye look at getting a r7 1800x on sale.

yes, those two are what budget allows, the r7 or the i7 is out of the budget, now, not sure if intel will release something useful soon, rumor is that a b360 could handle a i5 with 6 cores and 12 threads, the new i5 9400, but since nothing has come out, is just a rumor

25 minutes ago, goto10 said:

the 6600k, is the amd not the intel, is a old fm2 cpu from 2013 i think i build it

i was thinking about the intel quick sync too, is the only thing i can think of that could push this fast, i know this new i5 is 4 cores and 8 threads but that is 8 times the performance of the old amd, i was just expecting 2 times the performance at best

the gtx i think is just being used in editing, but i don't know much about adobe, just some details so perhaps i am not doing something right on the desktop

Oh, my bad. I misread. That makes much more sense. 

Hardware acceleration makes a huge difference in export times. Make sure that it's enabled for the 750 Ti if it isn't already. 

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What are the systems specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

there is no budget, we will buy parts whenever we get money but so far the goal is a 6 core cpu, 8 or 16 gbs of ram and a middle tier motherboard, a b350 or a b360

i am more inclined to amd, but if adobe will use the gpu from the intel cpu this way, well, not sure what to think

3 minutes ago, goto10 said:

there is no budget, we will buy parts whenever we get money

Is that soon? Prices waver and part selection is usually based on pricing. 

1 minute ago, goto10 said:

there is no budget, we will buy parts whenever we get money but so far the goal is a 6 core cpu

That's not a good way to build a PC, you want to buy everything at once in case there are any issues.

I'd really just switch to vegas for the long run though unless premiere has something it doesn't you can pick it up fairly cheap sometimes, or for $20 during some humble bundles.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's not a good way to build a PC, you want to buy everything at once in case there are any issues.

I'd really just switch to vegas for the long run though unless premiere has something it doesn't you can pick it up fairly cheap sometimes, or for $20 during some humble bundles.

i have built so many pcs my entire life this way, this is the only way to build pcs when you have a real tight budget and you work to pay your parts and can't save money easily, often i can buy each part each month, now my nephew is under a similar situation, things must work or one must apply warranties when required

about the video, thank you, iwatched it weeks ago, that is why i imagine that intel wiped the floor with this amd cpu, that is old and slow but not that old or slow