I need some help... please?

Go to solution Solved by wasab,
1 hour ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

So, If I'm understanding that correctly, I can move the VM's disk image from linux host A to B without having to worry about the VM itself detecting a change in what "Motherboard" is being presented to the VM itself?  If that's the case then I'll go right ahead and install the windows OS in QEMU-KVM. :)

Yeah, go ahead

So, I plan to have my windows 10 pro license put to good use (since it's on disc) and put the full installation on a qemu-kvm storage device so that I can migrate the virtual disk from computer a to computer b in case I have a dying storage device (like a harddrive) and with little to no down time during said operation.

And from what I understood about the windows 10 operating system, if I wanted to transfer the OS from a to b I would have to have deactivate it and reactivate on the other computer.  So I got to thinking, the OS doesn't care about what expansion card or device is put in, doesn't care about the cpu, the only thing that it cares about is just the motherboard that it is associated with.

And the keyword here being "Motherboard."  Will QEMU-KVM appear to the OS as the same "Motherboard" regardless of what host system it's running on or would the virtualization software present or "passthrough" some component information based upon the host's motherboard and present it to the guest windows OS?

I ask because I would like to make sure that I can use the installed OS within that virtual environment between my desktop and laptop that both run linux as it's host os.

Yeah. You can simply move the virtual machine image file from one Linux computer to the next. 

You don't need license. I mean, unactivated windows isn't gonna affect you in any way.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

But, the windows 10 operating system dictating what edition it can and can't install without asking the end user is rather Bull***t.

try installing it in legacy mode, not UEFI. then it should let you pick...

She/Her

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

try installing it in legacy mode, not UEFI. then it should let you pick...

By legacy mode do you mean that I should modify the bios settings on my hp laptop to ONLY boot in legacy mode?

12 hours ago, wasab said:

Yeah. You can simply move the virtual machine image file from one Linux computer to the next. 

You don't need license. I mean, unactivated windows isn't gonna affect you in any way.

So, If I'm understanding that correctly, I can move the VM's disk image from linux host A to B without having to worry about the VM itself detecting a change in what "Motherboard" is being presented to the VM itself?  If that's the case then I'll go right ahead and install the windows OS in QEMU-KVM. :)

1 hour ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Yeah, go ahead

Sudo make me a sandwich