Is my laptop bottlenecked

RinChan520

Hey guys

My laptop is ROG G703GS,GPU is GTX1070,CPU is i7-8750H,RAM 16GB 2400Mhz.But when I'm playing Battlefield 1,sometimes frame drop,Maybe 40FPS or 50FPS.

usually 80+FPS,The picture Settings is ultra.

That is most likely caused by thermal throttling. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

这很可能是由热量节流引起的。 

CPU and GPU is not down frequency,CPU 90~94℃ 3.88Ghz ,GPU 60~75℃ 1800Mhz+
But CPU utilization almost 100%

2 minutes ago, RinChan520 said:

CPU 90~94℃

Way too hot, you should probably buy a cooling pad for it. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Way too hot, you should probably buy a cooling pad for it. 

Isn't that kinda normal for a Laptop?

I don't know what the GS changes, but the 703 with a 1080 and i7 7820HK has CPU temps of 97°C and GPU of 88°C but only for intensive stress tests. In games it should be a bit better. (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Chimera-G703-i7-7820HK-GTX-1080-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.287134.0.html)

@RinChan520 If you are confident in your computer skills, I'd advise opening your laptop up and clean any dust that is inside. If that doesn't help, you could reapply the thermal paste on your GPU and CPU.

7 minutes ago, adm0n said:

笔记本电脑不是很正常吗?

我不知道GS有什么变化,但是带有1080和i7 7820HK的703的CPU温度为97°C,GPU为88°C,但仅用于强化压力测试。在游戏中它应该更好一点。https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Chimera-G703-i7-7820HK-GTX-1080-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.287134.0.html)

@ RinChan520如果您对自己的计算机技能充满信心,我建议您打开笔记本电脑并清理内部的灰尘。如果这没有帮助,您可以在GPU和CPU上重新应用导热膏。

ROG GS is mean GTX1070 version.I think i7-8750H+GTX1070 is not bad...But why Battlefield 1 sometimes 40~50FPS...

9 minutes ago, adm0n said:

笔记本电脑不是很正常吗?

我不知道GS有什么变化,但是带有1080和i7 7820HK的703的CPU温度为97°C,GPU为88°C,但仅用于强化压力测试。在游戏中它应该更好一点。https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Chimera-G703-i7-7820HK-GTX-1080-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.287134.0.html)

@ RinChan520如果您对自己的计算机技能充满信心,我建议您打开笔记本电脑并清理内部的灰尘。如果这没有帮助,您可以在GPU和CPU上重新应用导热膏。

I bought this notebook in June.

Just now, adm0n said:

你的Nvidia Graphics驱动程序版本是什么?

The latest graphics card driver has serious bugs,so I use 391.35

3 minutes ago, adm0n said:

你的Nvidia Graphics驱动程序版本是什么?

I'm sorry,00:52 here,I have to go asleep,good night :)

good night.

From what I see, is that Minimum FPS of around 50 FPS are possible, but shouldn't be the norm and the average should be above 100 FPS, if that is true for you, then you have no problem. Otherwise, if your computer doesn't thermal throttle, you could check "scale" in the graphics options of BF1 and set it to 100 if it is on a higher value. I can't help you more than that, sorry v.v

12 hours ago, adm0n said:

good night.

From what I see, is that Minimum FPS of around 50 FPS are possible, but shouldn't be the norm and the average should be above 100 FPS, if that is true for you, then you have no problem. Otherwise, if your computer doesn't thermal throttle, you could check "scale" in the graphics options of BF1 and set it to 100 if it is on a higher value. I can't help you more than that, sorry v.v

Maybe a single channel RAM is the problem?

Laptops, by definition, aren't bottlenecked. Manufacturers build them to be in balance. You can only bottleneck laptop by selecting low CPU/GPU and high GPU/CPU and then add as little RAM as you can. And even then selection system should note that you aren't getting anything near recommended specs.

Bottlenecking isn't some trending word you should use to describe all problems. It really has meaning, while Linus might not have been clear about it. And it only comes with self-build desktops where you don't necessarily know how parts compare in performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Laptops, by definition, aren't bottlenecked. Manufacturers build them to be in balance. You can only bottleneck laptop by selecting low CPU/GPU and high GPU/CPU and then add as little RAM as you can. And even then selection system should note that you aren't getting anything near recommended specs.

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most laptops bottlenecked by their GPU in games? You need significantly less CPU power compared to GPU power. From what you are saying, I'd think that plugging in an external GPU into a Laptop would do absolutely nothing, because there where no free resources on the CPU to drive anything more powerful. That is clearly not the case ._.

I have an i7 6700HQ (comparable to an i7 2600) and a gtx 960m (which is about as powerful as a gtx 750TI). If you are telling that is balanced, I want to see sources for that :D

2 hours ago, RinChan520 said:

Maybe a single channel RAM is the problem?

No. It is probably caused by too many particles on screen, which have to be handled by the CPU. And that is usually not all that efficient, so you see those dips in performance.

5 minutes ago, adm0n said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most laptops bottlenecked by their GPU in games? You need significantly less CPU power compared to GPU power. From what you are saying, I'd think that plugging in an external GPU into a Laptop would do absolutely nothing, because there where no free resources on the CPU to drive anything more powerful. That is clearly not the case ._.

I have an i7 6700HQ (comparable to an i7 2600) and a gtx 960m (which is about as powerful as a gtx 750TI). If you are telling that is balanced, I want to see sources for that :D

I still wouldn't call that bottlenecking. Laptops suffer mainly from poor thermals which are mostly seen in GPU performance. OP has balanced laptop with GPU and CPU being same gen (aka no bottleneck). Yours isn't bottleneck either as you have same gen CPU and GPU, mobile versions of both. So neither is performing as well as their desktop equivalents. So if you add eGPU, you get rid of every con of having mobile GPU. Low performance, thermal issues etc. But it might make CPU the bottleneck as its not as well performing as its desktop equivalent.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

still wouldn't call that bottlenecking.

Bottlenecking just means, that one part of your system isn't fast enough to keep up with the rest of the others. If my CPU is able to do the calculations for about 100 FPS, but my GPU can only put out 30, my GPU is bottlenecking my system. If I add a more powerful GPU and both are able to put out about 100 FPS, I have eliminated that bottleneck.

At least, that is how I understood bottlenecking. If that is the wrong definition, than please correct me.

But if I add that eGPU and I get more FPS afterwards, my older GPU was bottlenecking me. The Generations of the product have nothing to do with that.

Bottlenecking is also highly depended on the kind of application you are running. Games are usually more GPU depended, because they need to run code per Vertex, primitive, Geometry and Fragment per Frame. Sometimes running through the rendering pipeline more than once, for just one frame. The CPU usually has to handle nothing that intensive, unless there are physics calculation done on it, then you are most likely bottlenecked by your CPU, since those are more fit to run on a GPU as well.

And Just for fun, here is the Wikipedia article for bottlenecking :D

A common example of a bottleneck is a gaming computer with a very powerful CPU that is being bottlenecked by a lower-end GPU. With a more powerful GPU, the CPU would be able to be fully utilized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(software)

6 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Bottlenecking just means, that one part of your system isn't fast enough to keep up with the rest of the others. If my CPU is able to do the calculations for about 100 FPS, but my GPU can only put out 30, my GPU is bottlenecking my system. If I add a more powerful GPU and both are able to put out about 100 FPS, I have eliminated that bottleneck.

At least, that is how I understood bottlenecking. If that is the wrong definition, than please correct me.

But if I add that eGPU and I get more FPS afterwards, my older GPU was bottlenecking me. The Generations of the product have nothing to do with that.

Bottlenecking is also highly depended on the kind of application you are running. Games are usually more GPU depended, because they need to run code per Vertex, primitive, Geometry and Fragment per Frame. Sometimes running through the rendering pipeline more than once, for just one frame. The CPU usually has to handle nothing that intensive, unless there are physics calculation done on it, then you are most likely bottlenecked by your CPU, since those are more fit to run on a GPU as well.

And Just for fun, here is the Wikipedia article for bottlenecking :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(software)

That is what bottlenecking means. And I'm not arguing against it. But problem is, and this is why there are so many needless threads about that subject, that most people don't understand it, or don't know how performance of hardware relates to their age and use case. So I'm using generations as simple way to solve it. If you have same generation hardware, there's no bottleneck for majority of use cases spanning 2 years forward of hardware's release date. After 2 years GPU gets outdated. 85% of bottlenecking questions solved. Rest are concerning topics where someone is planning to buy or has earlier bought system which isn't/hasn't been in balance. Or has older system which was balanced back when it was new, but which would be bottlenecked if upgraded by too beefy GPU for CPU or other way around.

Buy latest of everything now, no bottleneck for 3-5 years. Buy midrange of everything now, no bottleneck for next 2 years. Buy budget everything now, depends already.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That is what bottlenecking means. And I'm not arguing against it. But problem is, and this is why there are so many needless threads about that subject, that most people don't understand it, or don't know how performance of hardware relates to their age and use case. So I'm using generations as simple way to solve it. If you have same generation hardware, there's no bottleneck for majority of use cases spanning 2 years forward of hardware's release date. After 2 years GPU gets outdated. 85% of bottlenecking questions solved. Rest are concerning topics where someone is planning to buy or has earlier bought system which isn't/hasn't been in balance. Or has older system which was balanced back when it was new, but which would be bottlenecked if upgraded by too beefy GPU for CPU or other way around.

Buy latest of everything now, no bottleneck for 3-5 years. Buy midrange of everything now, no bottleneck for next 2 years. Buy budget everything now, depends already.

I'm terribly sorry, but that is just wrong. Sure, it is best to pair hardware of similar generations. But most questions concern gaming and as many reviews have shown. You can have 3 gen intel processor paired with mid range GPU of today and have the system be balanced. So no bottleneck there. You are oversimplifying things.

Unless you show me, that the example of my Laptop is no bottleneck and there are no performance gains to be had, by putting in a better GPU (well ... practically that won't happen since, my thunderbolt chip is only connected with 2 PCIe lanes :c), then I have to dismiss what you said.

And in Rin Chans example here, they are selling the same laptop with the same processor but with a gtx 1080. If there are no bottlenecks in his/her system, that would net you no performance increases whatsoever. Do you stand by that? Because I should be able to disprove that pretty quickly :D

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

I'm terribly sorry, but that is just wrong. Sure, it is best to pair hardware of similar generations. But most questions concern gaming and as many reviews have shown. You can have 3 gen intel processor paired with mid range GPU of today and have the system be balanced. So no bottleneck there. You are oversimplifying things.

Unless you show me, that the example of my Laptop is no bottleneck and there are no performance gains to be had, by putting in a better GPU (well ... practically that won't happen since, my thunderbolt chip is only connected with 2 PCIe lanes :c), then I have to dismiss what you said.

And in Rin Chans example here, they are selling the same laptop with the same processor but with a gtx 1080. If there are no bottlenecks in his/her system, that would net you no performance increases whatsoever. Do you stand by that? Because I should be able to disprove that pretty quickly :D

Thats your way of handling things, you've seen mine. It may be oversimplyfying, but you can't say it isn't true at the same time. I've seen maybe 20 threads in GD and PC Gaming about bottlenecking and 19 of them were about latest gen CPU and GPU for 1080p gaming. One was older hardware and the problem was that hardware was too old for game altogether. I've seen threads with bottlenecking in title where issue or question wasn't even related to bottlenecking. So pardon me for trying to play that part of PC building down and out of the window.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

but you can't say it isn't true at the same time

Yes I can ._. I have given you multiple examples in how your oversimplification is wrong. It is easy to bottleneck your pc with current gent hardware and it is also easy to have a PC with different gen hardware that isn't bottlenecked at all.
I'm sure that a lot of people have no idea how bottlenecking even works, but if that is the advice you give them, they won't know any more afterwards. And since you actually say things that are actually wrong

51 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

OP has balanced laptop with GPU and CPU being same gen (aka no bottleneck)

29 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you have same generation hardware, there's no bottleneck for majority of use cases spanning 2 years forward of hardware's release date.

30 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

This last one is actually completely wrong. Bottlenecking always depends on the application and the specific hardware used ._.

But I'll stop picking on you now. Just don't spread misinformation.

6 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Yes I can ._. I have given you multiple examples in how your oversimplification is wrong. It is easy to bottleneck your pc with current gent hardware and it is also easy to have a PC with different gen hardware that isn't bottlenecked at all.

I wasn't going to post anymore, but you really haven't proven oversimplification wrong. You just keep saying its oversimplification, and I'm not arguing against that. Thats all I have to say about this.

E: Adding that I'm perfectly aware that buying latest gen isn't guaranteed of not being bottlenecked. But point is that looking at bottlenecks when building or troubleshooting is wrong approach and my oversimplification is my way of battling against that becoming common, and very bad, practice.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

oversimplification

oversimplification is wrong by definition. If it wasn't wrong, you would just be simplifying it ._.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/oversimplification

Why would it be wrong when building? That is the exact time, you are trying to make sure not have them. Unless you mean physically building them. But in that case wouldn't it be easier to tell them, that bottlenecking is software terminology, that has nothing to do with how your components are physically communicating.... hmmm that probably sounds a bit too complicated for some people. There is no perfect answer :D