screen freezing every 2 seconds AMD

tJuggernaut29

Just installed newest Radeon software settings and drivers (18.7.1) and every 2 seconds, the display freezes for half a second. the entire display freezes, not even just in games or anything.

I have all latest updates for windows and everything. Restarting PC and display dont fix it.

RX 480 8GB, i7 6700k, win 10

running a 4k panel and a 1080p panel. 

thoughts?

bandicam 2018-08-05 16-38-41-600.avi

5 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

thoughts?

Last I checked 18.7.1 I believe is their current BETA. 18.5.1 is the recommended. Try rolling back & see if it's more stable.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Last I checked 18.7.1 I believe is their current BETA. 18.5.1 is the recommended. Try rolling back & see if it's more stable.

how do i rollback? i cant find the option in the radeon settings

Just now, tJuggernaut29 said:

how do i rollback? i cant find the option in the radeon settings

Go to your list of installed programs & uninstall the AMD display driver. Alternatively you can use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). After that (or before that) download V18.5.1 from the AMD website. Then after uninstalling 18.7.1 & restarting the system install 18.5.1.

22 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Just installed newest Radeon software settings and drivers (18.7.1) and every 2 seconds, the display freezes for half a second. the entire display freezes, not even just in games or anything.

I have all latest updates for windows and everything. Restarting PC and display dont fix it.

RX 480 8GB, i7 6700k, win 10

running a 4k panel and a 1080p panel. 

thoughts?

bandicam 2018-08-05 16-38-41-600.avi

I doubt that that has anything to do with the Graphics card, though it is possible.

But what about the HDD/SSD you are using? 

That is the most likely thing to do that.

Another possibility is barely unstable RAM that causes Problems.

Or some background process that does stuff it shouldn't do.

Not really.
They are AFAIR all WHQL Certified.

The AMD Driver is the latest "Game Ready" one.

And its called "Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 Optional"...

But since you call that Current Beta, you'll call the nVidia Game Ready Drivers also Beta, right?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

I doubt that that has anything to do with the Graphics card, though it is possible.

it is definitely the graphics drivers.

system has been stable for over a year. and problems started immediately after i upgraded the graphics driver

2 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

it is definitely the graphics drivers.

system has been stable for over a year. and problems started immediately after i upgraded the graphics driver

That might or might not be the issue.

Using the AMD Deinstallation routine, choose all (well, not the best Idea on Win7 with Am4) and reinstalling the driver is something you could try. Or, after deinstalling, use a different driver.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Not really.
They are AFAIR all WHQL Certified.

The AMD Driver is the latest "Game Ready" one.

And its called "Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 Optional"...

But since you call that Current Beta, you'll call the nVidia Game Ready Drivers also Beta, right?

You've got me there. I didn't double-check if the driver after the recommended was indeed called beta. I find with other drivers & softwares they'll often have a "recommend" version & the next available version is called a beta. I made an assumption that the AMD display driver was no different.

As for the NVIDIA driver. I wouldn't know what so ever. The Last NVIDIA GPU I ever used was the GTX285. Haven't touched NVIDIA drivers since.