Custom water cooled pc worth it?

Hi, I was only shopping for a used Gtx 1080 online and Craigslist, however a buddy of mine come across this custom build looks like a good deal to me to pick up local at school. 

I am not sure if its worth the money to buy it now because rumor said the new launch of the 1100 series is coming and I already see retails are pushing the 1080 real cheap. 

The main reason I kept my eye on it its because it look so coool...and water cooled.   

How much u think its worth.  1200 - 1900?  IN USD  THanks ahead. 

Worth a shot for my friend?  He has the budget. 

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Originally Founders Edition (now with an EK water block) 
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero 
Intel Core i5 7600k 
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD 
32 GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Antec 850 Watt Bronze Power Supply 
Case: Fractal Design Define S 
Water-cooling by EK Water-cooling 
Corsair RGB LED strip 
local pickup offers free 4k samsung monitor

fake.jpg

I mean, it's very well done, so if your friend has the money, I'd say he should go for it. The components alone aren't worth that much (it is a 6700K, after all), but the nice, hardline custom loop makes it worth the price IMO.

Maybe see if you can talk the seller down a few hundred bucks.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

This pretty much depends on your personal preference. Using (custom) watercooling means that you'll end up with a very high-maintainance system. If I were you I'd take that money and build a *way* more powerful air cooled system with new components and full warranty.

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I mean, it's very well done, so if your friend has the money, I'd say he should go for it. The components alone aren't worth that much (it is a 6700K, after all), but the nice, hardline custom loop makes it worth the price IMO.

Maybe see if you can talk the seller down a few hundred bucks.

Your right, I have not seen any loop like this, most of the custom build pc has its own identity and I believe this is one of a kind, the builder was amazing. 

If you feel the good looks and hard work that went into it is worth it then yes.

Otherwise parts alone, I'd reckon the whole thing is worth about 2200 to 2500 USD.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:24 AM, norritt said:

This pretty much depends on your personal preference. Using (custom) watercooling means that you'll end up with a very high-maintainance system. If I were you I'd take that money and build a *way* more powerful air cooled system with new components and full warranty.

Yea, I agree I build my single card system 2 years ago, a nice case a ryzen chip a good motherborad, a C14 3200 ram, a good psu, it was worth 3000.  Right now i am sure can build a newer system with the same budget.  But man, if we want to watercool it at the same time.  Oh man thats a lot more.  I think this custom build posted was 6000 brand new.  that goofy damn case was 600 bucks.

1 minute ago, xentropa said:

If you feel the good looks and hard work that went into it is worth it then yes.

Otherwise parts alone, I'd reckon the whole thing is worth about 2200 to 2500 USD.

Definitely, there is no point to sli the newest card anymore because games and monitors can't handle them well.  My friend wouldn't want to buy this thing if it was only aircooled. 

@NameDoesNotFi Well personally I look at it that way: If I work game on a pc I look at the screen not at the tower. Watercooling does not provide sufficient benefits over air cooling to justify the price. A noctua NH-D15 will beat many watercoolers. Also all the hastle with leaks, changing fluid is just not worth the hastle IMO. I'm just too lazy for that.

I mean if you want to do that as an expensive hobby, and enjoy taking your computer apart every now and then, clean the loop and put it back together, then sure why not. But if your main focus is using the computer and having a fast reliable system just go for air. SPend you money on better components and/or a nice monitor.

On that particular system you posted: While the build looks decently clean, technically it doesnt look to good overall. The Circle on the "In Win" logo is covered. The interior is red but the tubing looks more orange. Lighting is blue which doesn't fit, the theme and the reservoir might be purple? Could also be read and emit purple glow together with the blue background lighting.

@NameDoesNotFi: Here take a look at this (interesting part is at 7 mins):

Basically Noctua obliterates the watercoolers. So why pay more money for a less reliable system, that performs worse and causes more maintainance, except you like the bling and enjoy continously fiddling with the hardware.

Your absolutely right, the lighting is kinda messy at the first place but I made the same decision when I build my pc 2 years ago, best bang of bangs over expansive cool stuff.   My friend was actually been told that there were only orange tube available at the time so the builder went with it.  The system had been running with only distilled water.  It's pretty sure that if my friend is going for it he will spent a lot of time maintain the loop and waste some time on it.  @norritt