PC Won't start after new CPU

MasonJarr

Howdy do everyone,

About three weeks ago I bought an Intel i7-8700k to replace my Intel i5-6500, and when I replaced the i5-6500 and went to boot up my computer, the fans/lights turned on for a brief moment and then the computer turned off.  After putting in my old CPU back in I updated the BIOS and cleared CMOS, but was met with the same result after putting the i7-8700k again.  I assumed that the CPU was faulty and sent it back to amazon, from where I ordered it in the first place, and after two and a half weeks, ordered the same CPU again.  When it arrived I was met with the same issues as before, and am unable to think of anything I may have forgotten to do.  Below I've posted my computer specs, any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

With warm regards,

Mason Jarr

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 3.20GHz

RAM: 16GB 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971) (U3E1)

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte)

You need a new coffee lake motherboard for the 8700k, a z370 motherboard would be best 

CPU: i7 3820@4.3Ghz GPU: Gtx 1060 RAM: 16gb HyperX Fury CASE: S340 Elite Cpu runs nice and hot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 hours ago, MasonJarr said:

Howdy do everyone,

About three weeks ago I bought an Intel i7-8700k to replace my Intel i5-6500, and when I replaced the i5-6500 and went to boot up my computer, the fans/lights turned on for a brief moment and then the computer turned off.  After putting in my old CPU back in I updated the BIOS and cleared CMOS, but was met with the same result after putting the i7-8700k again.  I assumed that the CPU was faulty and sent it back to amazon, from where I ordered it in the first place, and after two and a half weeks, ordered the same CPU again.  When it arrived I was met with the same issues as before, and am unable to think of anything I may have forgotten to do.  Below I've posted my computer specs, any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

With warm regards,

Mason Jarr

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 3.20GHz

RAM: 16GB 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971) (U3E1)

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte)

3 hours ago, lionsland said:

You need a new coffee lake motherboard for the 8700k, a z370 motherboard would be best 

Exactly what @lionsland said.  Unless they have a bios update that allows the 8700K to run on it.  Not to sure as I'm not in those generations of chips myself yet.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

The 8700k won't run on a 100 series board.
You need a 300 series board.

It's not a race to the bottom.