What is the material for the cpu retention arm

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
Just now, Jun Wei Goh said:

i worried in case there is a small drop that i didnt notice on the retention arm later few months is start to corrode 

if you have small drops of liquid metal on the board, your biggest concern is going to be shorting. Don't have little droplets is the best solution. but as mentioned above, the CPU retention mechanism is aluminium free so you don't need to worry about this. Nonetheless, be careful not to have spills, corrosion is not the main concern here.

hi guys i planning to use liquid metal on my build i am aware that you cannot use on aluminum but what i worry is ,is the retention arm in the cpu socket made of aluminium? thx   

6 minutes ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

hi guys i planning to use liquid metal on my build i am aware that you cannot use on aluminum but what i worry is ,is the retention arm in the cpu socket made of aluminium? thx   

I dont think so, why would they make something like that aluminium. costs more and is easier to bend than steel. Most definetly steel

4 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Pretty sure its steel. A magnet sticks to it

does steel react with liquid metal?

3 minutes ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

-

don't want to tell you what to do, but I would advise you just stick to normal thermal compound for the IHS <--> CPU cooler interface. The gains from liquid metal are minimal and the risk of spilling onto the board/socket make it a much less attractive idea than using it between the die and IHS.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

don't want to tell you what to do, but I would advise you just stick to normal thermal compound for the IHS <--> CPU cooler interface. The gains from liquid metal are minimal and the risk of spilling onto the board/socket make it a much less attractive idea than using it between the die and IHS.

i just help a friend of mine to delid and add liquid metal at temp drop by 25C (7700k @ 5GHz) . That a huge gain   

i just help a friend of mine to delid and add liquid metal at temp drop by 25C (7700k @ 5GHz) . That a huge gain   

Okay.....if you're talking about delidding then I don't see why you're concerned about the CPU retention arm.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Okay.....if you're talking about delidding then I don't see why you're concerned about the CPU retention arm.

i worried in case there is a small drop that i didnt notice on the retention arm later few months is start to corrode 

if you have small drops of liquid metal on the board, your biggest concern is going to be shorting. Don't have little droplets is the best solution. but as mentioned above, the CPU retention mechanism is aluminium free so you don't need to worry about this. Nonetheless, be careful not to have spills, corrosion is not the main concern here.