32 AND 64 BIT on same RAM

printf_cyber

Hey Guys!

So I have Windows 7 32 bit and my PC has 4GB RAM, now I want to upgrade to 64 bit, and can someone tell me how, and my system is Optiplex 780 that has Core 2 Duo E7500 and I added Radeon HD5450 to it for light gaming, and I think I will put a better GPU and I need 64 bit to play the games. The Optiplex 780 comes with pre-installed Windows 7 32 bit and makes it OEM, meaning it is locked to the BIOS of the exact same PC, and I will uninstall it and put in a 64 bit Windows 7, tell me if I should go for Windows 10 64 bit, I may upgrade RAM to 8GB as Chrome and background apps are kicking hard on this PC.

Basically, I need to know whether 64 bit Windows 7 or 10 will work on my PC (with 4GB RAM), and I ran a test that told me that my system is capable of Windows 64 bit, but the OS provided System specs say that it is an "x86 based system" but the CPU specs say that the Processor is "64 bit capable", so I am confused on this thing too :(

Hoping for a positive response,

Basil

it'll work just fine, but i have questions by the upgrades you're planning on, and their potential performance improvement being limited to that quite ancient c2d.

On E7500 you can run both 32 and 64-bit system (even Win10). The only question is - what do you expect. If performance boost, then answer is "no". If you just want to be able to run programs and games 64-bits only, then yes - it will be possible. I saw even GTA V running on core2duo with some old GeForce (something like 650) and 3GB of RAM, so it's possible. :) You can also install 64-bit system if you have plan to buy a new computer - with 64bit Win10 you'll be able to just move your old HDD/SSD to your new computer without reinstall (if you have time now for installing win10 and later, after hardware upgrade, you'll be more interested in testing new stuff than installing windows again).

If you have plan to buy more ram etc. to your core2duo, then please don't. It's waste of money. Even modern Celeron is much better than your c2d and you can't use DDR2 in modern mainboards. Buy only stuff that you'll be able to use in the future (like SSD etc.).

17 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

On E7500 you can run both 32 and 64-bit system (even Win10). The only question is - what do you expect. If performance boost, then answer is "no". If you just want to be able to run programs and games 64-bits only, then yes - it will be possible. I saw even GTA V running on core2duo with some old GeForce (something like 650) and 3GB of RAM, so it's possible. :) You can also install 64-bit system if you have plan to buy a new computer - with 64bit Win10 you'll be able to just move your old HDD/SSD to your new computer without reinstall (if you have time now for installing win10 and later, after hardware upgrade, you'll be more interested in testing new stuff than installing windows again).

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If you have plan to buy more ram etc. to your core2duo, then please don't. It's waste of money. Even modern Celeron is much better than your c2d and you can't use DDR2 in modern mainboards. Buy only stuff that you'll be able to use in the future (like SSD etc.).

I won't buy a new processor like Core 2 Quad because the default everything isn't compatible like the power delivery and cooler. And I think the RAM would help, cause modern titles like fortnite and stuff will severely bottleneck due to less RAM, and most of these games don't run at 4GB and crash often and even don't start up, and I'll link a video showing that upgrading from 4GB to 8GB is important and upgrading from 8GB to 16GB makes no difference whatsoever in gaming.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIavpEQQGg

But still I won't buy 8GB just now with new Windows, but will get familiar and download some games and stuff...

39 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it'll work just fine

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but i have questions by the upgrades you're planning on, and their potential performance improvement being limited to that quite ancient c2d.

I am buying parts for a Gaming PC but I don't want this one to rot, and want to put it to some use and it will be like YouTube and everything on Chrome, now I know that Core 2 Duo will bottleneck too much, and the 4GB RAM is already a pain in the ass, since the Chrome browser load times and other simple clicks are having noticeable delays, and sometimes the animations don't work, cause I have 3.2 GB RAM technically, as it is a 32 bit OS and doesn't exceed that amount of memory addressing. So I may upgrade the RAM to 8GB or else this would get too annoying :( It is right now, I man c'mon 3GB RAM in 2018??? Even Chrome browser laughs at me for that...