CPU not turning on?

SimoneP

So I bought a Fractal Design Define R6 case and a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler. 

After installing everything into the new case, the moment of truth was there. Would it turn on?

It did however, my cpu fans weren't running and my PWM fans weren't running either, however my 3 pin case fans did run.

My motherboard also turned on and so did my GPU. However I can't get any display and I don't get any beep codes either.

So is it safe to assume that the CPU isn't turning on and that's why I get no display and fans aren't running?

It was a hassle to install the CPU cooler but I suppose I would have no other choice then. I already looked if any cables were loose.

I left the RAM in while moving the motherboard to the new case, don't know if that can be the issue but wouldn't CPU fans still have to turn on then?

I can't reseat the RAM unless I remove the CPU cooler. Also the USB 3 connector on the motherboard sits pretty loose, and it seems like 2 USB 3 connector pins are missing in the lower right. Which sucks because I probably won't be able to use USB3 then but that's not the problem of my pc not booting. I already tried booting without the USB 3 connector. 

Can someone help me out, and tell me which steps I should take to find out what the issue is.

Specs:

i7-6700K

Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Corsair 16GB RAM DDR4

EVGA Supernova G3 650W

6 minutes ago, SimoneP said:

So I bought a Fractal Design Define R6 case and a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler. 

After installing everything into the new case, the moment of truth was there. Would it turn on?

It did however, my cpu fans weren't running and my PWM fans weren't running either, however my 3 pin case fans did run.

My motherboard also turned on and so did my GPU. However I can't get any display and I don't get any beep codes either.

So is it safe to assume that the CPU isn't turning on and that's why I get no display and fans aren't running?

It was a hassle to install the CPU cooler but I suppose I would have no other choice then. I already looked if any cables were loose.

I left the RAM in while moving the motherboard to the new case, don't know if that can be the issue but wouldn't CPU fans still have to turn on then?

I can't reseat the RAM unless I remove the CPU cooler. Also the USB 3 connector on the motherboard sits pretty loose, and it seems like 2 USB 3 connector pins are missing in the lower right. Which sucks because I probably won't be able to use USB3 then but that's not the problem of my pc not booting. I already tried booting without the USB 3 connector. 

Can someone help me out, and tell me which steps I should take to find out what the issue is.

Specs:

i7-6700K

Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Corsair 16GB RAM DDR4

EVGA Supernova G3 650W

Can you try turning on the PC after unplugging the CPU power connector? How do the fans behave? Also, do you have a motherboard beeper lying around?

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

24 minutes ago, SimoneP said:

Also the USB 3 connector on the motherboard sits pretty loose, and it seems like 2 USB 3 connector pins are missing in the lower right.

There could be other things wrong with this motherboard besides the USB if it is visibly damaged.  I hate to say it, but it could be the board itself that is the problem.

28 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Can you try turning on the PC after unplugging the CPU power connector? How do the fans behave? Also, do you have a motherboard beeper lying around?

I will try that. What would I need a motherboard beeper for? This motherboard should be able to give beep codes by itself right?

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

There could be other things wrong with this motherboard besides the USB if it is visibly damaged.  I hate to say it, but it could be the board itself that is the problem.

Could be but the only thing that I did was it move it from one case to another, it worked fine before. And how would I know if the motherboard is the issue. I don't have another motherboard lying around.

Just now, SimoneP said:

I will try that. What would I need a motherboard beeper for? This motherboard should be able to give beep codes by itself right?

Motherboards, as far as I know, hardly ever have had beepers built onto them: therefore, unless you have POST code LEDs, you'll need a beeper to diagnose POST codes

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

9 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Motherboards, as far as I know, hardly ever have had beepers built onto them: therefore, unless you have POST code LEDs, you'll need a beeper to diagnose POST codes

I tried booting with the cpu power unplugged and it's the same as when it is plugged in. Motherboard is on, 3 pin case fans are running. CPU fans not ofcourse and pwm case fans aren't running either.

I don't know if my motherboard has POST code LEDs. I only see the model name LED, the Supreme FX LED and the Standby Power Led turned on.

Just now, SimoneP said:

I tried booting with the cpu power unplugged and it's the same as when it is plugged in. Motherboard is on, 3 pin case fans are running. CPU fans not ofcourse and pwm case fans aren't running either.

I don't know if my motherboard has POST code LEDs. I only see the model name LED, the Supreme FX LED and the Standby Power Led turned on.

If your motherboard has POST code LEDs, you should see two numeric LEDs displaying numbers when you turn on the PC; that board does not have them.

As for the issue, I'd recommend taking the motherboard (with all of its components plugged in) out of the case (of course unplugging and plugging back in the power connectors) and onto a cardboard box and try to turn it on from there. If there's any part of the case which is shorting a contact on the motherboard, now it shouldn't anymore. Also, do you remember, from when you mounted the cooler, if you had to mount a backplate for the CPU? And what material was it made of? Was it insulated with some sort of plastic shroud or tape?

8 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

If your motherboard has POST code LEDs, you should see two numeric LEDs displaying numbers when you turn on the PC; that board does not have them.

As for the issue, I'd recommend taking the motherboard (with all of its components plugged in) out of the case (of course unplugging and plugging back in the power connectors) and onto a cardboard box and try to turn it on from there. If there's any part of the case which is shorting a contact on the motherboard, now it shouldn't anymore. Also, do you remember, from when you mounted the cooler, if you had to mount a backplate for the CPU? And what material was it made of? Was it insulated with some sort of plastic shroud or tape?

This is the backplate: https://imgur.com/a/FAPQz1K

Just now, SimoneP said:

This is the backplate: https://imgur.com/a/FAPQz1K

It would be really strange if it shorted something on the back of the motherboard, so let's try first takine the PC out of the case and testing it. If it doesn't worj, let's try to remove the cooler too. Also, can you describe how strong you tightened them, as best as you can? If you tightened them too much, you could've flexed the board up to breaking it or breaking some of its components... It's not too common, but worth asking

3 hours ago, LionSpeck said:

It would be really strange if it shorted something on the back of the motherboard, so let's try first takine the PC out of the case and testing it. If it doesn't worj, let's try to remove the cooler too. Also, can you describe how strong you tightened them, as best as you can? If you tightened them too much, you could've flexed the board up to breaking it or breaking some of its components... It's not too common, but worth asking

I haven't tested outside of the case yet. But I removed the RAM and still didn't get any beep codes. And from what I read on the internet, my mobo should beep when no RAM is installed, so it might be the mobo that is broken.

2 minutes ago, SimoneP said:

I haven't tested outside of the case yet. But I removed the RAM and still didn't get any beep codes. And from what I read on the internet, my mobo should beep when no RAM is installed, so it might be the mobo that is broken.

I can confirm that your motherboard does NOT have a built in beeper, so unless you have connected one to it, it's pretty normal to hear no beeps