New gamer, have a few questions

Peeyush

I have almost built my first gaming pc and I want to play games on it but I am very new in gaming so I have some questions.

How do I buy games?

what will I actually buy? a game CD? just the activation code and download the game?

also, there are games being sold at different prices on different websites. is there a standard website to buy games? should I be worried about getting a fake or pirated copy?

Minecraft for example, its about $27 on minecraft's website

https://minecraft.net/en-us/store/

about $26 on amazon.in (amazon India) 

https://www.amazon.in/Mojang-Minecraft-PC-Code/dp/B019XUCJGK?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=892b7534-80eb-458e-9aec-870d1a4df6bc

but less than $3 on flipkart.com??

https://www.flipkart.com/minecraft-windows-10-microsoft-key-global/p/itmexgzpkkfajyyq?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIquHmkvvB3AIV2A0rCh0LLwzBEAQYASABEgKKcfD_BwE&pid=CGEEXGZP2JVDDPJJ&lid=LSTCGEEXGZP2JVDDPJJVPMYOD&marketplace=FLIPKART&cmpid=content_code-in-the-box-game_8965229628_gmc_pla&tgi=sem%2C1%2CG%2C11214002%2Cg%2Csearch%2C%2C203132716203%2C1o1%2C%2C%2Cc%2C%2C%2C%2C%2C%2C%2C&s_kwcid=AL!739!3!203132716203!!!g!318886827506!&ef_id=WtGHpAAAAcpwd_fW%3A20180728140354%3As

is the third one even real?

I know about Steam. if I buy a game outside of steam, will I be able to play it on steam?

what else should I know about as a new gamer?

a little about me, I used to play some very low end pirated games on a very old pc (pentium dual core, integrated graphics). I know nothing about consoles AT ALL. I am very familiar with computers and tech stuff just not gaming. 

my new built runs on i7 8700k and using integrated graphics for now cos I ran out of budget. I am getting a 1080 within a month. just 1080p gaming so hardware is no issue.

1. Download Steam, It is like Xbox / PSN for the PC. (Its free tho, You pay for the games)

Steam, You just download the games from them, Or you can go to G2a or Humble Buddle etc. and they well give you a code you type in steam for the game.

Steam is 100% legit, Any website you download games from are pretty safe, But you run the risk of getting scammed. 

Minecraft is 100% legit.

Amazon is also legit.

The last one is the Windows 10 Edition Microsoft Minecraft, It is completly different then Normal minecraft.   

EDIT: Didnt read the part you know what steam is

If you buy a game on HumbleBuddle or G2A you well get a Steam code, That works on steam, but if you dont like the game, you can not return it, If you buy it from steam, You can return it with less then 2hour play time

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

4 minutes ago, Peeyush said:

I know about Steam. if I buy a game outside of steam, will I be able to play it on steam?

You can add them to your games library but i don`t know if you can also manage patches or what about online function i got basically all my games in steam. 

7 minutes ago, Peeyush said:

How do I buy games?

what will I actually buy? a game CD? just the activation code and download the game?

The way you like but cd/dvd

is really minority today my computer doesn't even have a drive anymore. 95 % moved to buy a code and download it from somewhere. Last game i had as physical DVD was dishonored 2 and it was just 4 GB and another 50 GB to download, so i hope you have a decent internet speed or it will take very long.  

9 minutes ago, Peeyush said:

Pc gamers are often Beta testers games come unfinished to the market and will get fixed 1-6 months later for people with non overkill hardware. But with a 8700K and a 1080 you will be fine for 1080p gaming with max details.  Be prepared to spend some time on google and forums, to fix some problems that might or might not occur. 

1 minute ago, Peeyush said:

I have almost built my first gaming pc and I want to play games on it but I am very new in gaming so I have some questions.

How do I buy games?

also, there are games being sold at different prices on different websites. is there a standard website to buy games? should I be worried about getting a fake or pirated copy?

You can buy around 80% of the most popular games off Steam, including quite a few free ones they offer. This is probably the absolute best and most secure way of getting game which are guaranteed to all be genuine and are the best they can be, with proper customer service and refunds allowed. https://store.steampowered.com/about/

You can also use a Origin, made by EA (The ones who make games like Battlefield, The Sims and so forth), which doesn't offer as many games, but it is still fully genuine proper games you get of it straight from the company who made its game they sell.

If you want other ways of purchasing the games, not directly off an online service, some big shops might sell these small gift cards, like this: Image result for pc gift card game

Which give you a special code, you type into the game service (So Steam for example) and it gives you a game installation. I wouldn't bother doing this as it means you have to go to a physical store.

If you want Minecraft, you should just get the game of the official Mojang website if you can.

There are thousands of less popular game retail services, but these are your two most best.

I hope this helps! :D

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Okay so to buy games the safest bet is to buy from Steam, GOG (Good Old Games, they don’t just sell old games), or the official websites of the devs. For example Minecraft is best bought straight from Mojang, as the third option is likely (I’m not entirely sure so don’t take my word for it) a key reseller that takes part in sketchy processes which you probably don’t wanna get involved in. Origin has games there too, and if you want you can use UPLAY.

These are the ones I know off the top of my head that are 100% legit, there’s prolly more

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

everything has mostly been covered by others however, the microsoft store is another place to get games. Though most game on the store are mobile ports, games like gears of war and the forza series are only available there

Disks are kinda being phased out so if you buy it in store, 99% chance you’ll get a code or a disk that isn’t the game and a code. 

Steam is where most people buy games. I want to migrate to GOG as you actually own the games when you buy on GOG. Steam sells lifetime licenses. So technically you don’t own the games. 

Humblebundle is a charity like thing for steam codes. 

Bundle stars (may be named something else now) sells steam codes

green man gaming sells steam codes

EA Origin is Electronic Arts’ store to buy their games. All their new games are only on Origin. 

Uplay is Ubisoft’s store. They sell some games on steam but they make you install uplay anyway. 

Blizzard has its own launcher and store that now has some activisipm games like black ops 4 and destiny 2 though they have the main blizzard games (world of Warcraft, Starcraft, overwatch) on there too. 

Those are the main stores an are legitimate trustworthy. 

Amazon is another legitimate store. I bought some games there I think as they were on sale. Mostly older games like some 2010 games and before may be actually on the disk but may have compatibility issues with windows 10 & just have bugs. 

19 hours ago, Peeyush said:

How do I buy games?

There are several ways. By using platform like Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy and such. By using local stores. By using internet stores. And then 2nd hand for mainly older games.

Actually paying for games might be issue. If you have credit card, use that. If you can use PayPal, use that. If you use mainly Steam or Origin and can get gift codes from local stores, use those. Credit card is most reliable.

Well, this depends on where you buy and what you buy. Local stores sell mainly DVDs and gift cards to platforms. Platforms sell games and connect them to your account (keys are displayed if needed). Internet stores sell both DVDs and just keys which you can later connect to platform account.

If you use stores where prices are considerably lower than what they are in platforms store, Amazon (sold by Amazon) or other notable stores, then there's high risk that those games aren't acuired in honest ways or have some limitations. For example Steam gift codes are region locked. Nvidia bundle games require to be redeemed with same hardware they were bundled with. Or games might have been purchased with fake or stolen credit cards.

As you (assumingly) are from India, you already get lower prices than western world from most stores. Or used to get. Few years ago prices for AAA games in countries with deveploping economy were 50% of western countries prices. Or lower. Like $30 for $60 game.

is the third one even real?

That site seems to be marketplace, just like Kinguin and G2A. If you look at reviews for item, seller is providing gift codes, not actual game codes. So their origin is questionable.

You can redeem keys on Steam. Note before purchasing if key has limitations such as region lock.

There's lot of good free-to-play games. In about every genre. Some might be older in graphics and such. But if you don't have genre specifications, those are good ones to find out what styles you like.

All major stores and platforms have sales, look out for them. You might get some nice indie games and sometimes bigger games really cheap or even free (GOG). Humble Bundle is one to look at also. Their bundle deals can give you months worth of playing for price of single game.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Flipkart listing does seem sketchy, too low price and new seller with kind of low rating

I would say in general prefer buying games on Steam

If not available on Steam, then try GOG, Origin, UPlay, Microsoft Store, Blizzard. This should cover all of the games.

If buying from Amazon.In/Flipkart 3rd party sellers, do check seller ratings and review/comments. I have seen good deals in past, but ever since INR currency is introduced on Steam. Prices are always better their, especially during Steam sales

Also keep eye on HumbleBundle bundles, sales and giveaways

I would say avoid G2A, as regional pricing during sales beats G2A pricing from what I have seen recently

Finally got PS4 Pro

I've tried g2a for so long but it scamed me 70$ once (with security) so now I do Instagaming and that goes pretty well.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Uplay for Ubisoft Games (Assassins Creed)

Origin for EA Games (Battlefield)

Steam for all other Games.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

First of all, congrats with your first PC build! ??? Sounds like a pretty beefy PC too. ;)

Your best bet for getting games are through the XBOX app (if you're running Windows 10) or the Windows 10 Store,

Steam, Oracle, Uplay, and Epic Games. Steam, Uplay, XBOX, and Epic Games have their own launchers, where you can find all your relative games in them.

https://minecraft.net/en-us/store/ is the best place to buy Minecraft. You can also get a used account (email and password)

for a dollar to five bucks on eBay depending on whether or not you want to be able to change the username/email/skin/password/etc.

You can buy Minecraft from Amazon.

I wouldn't bother with https://www.flipkart.com/, it's too sketchy.

You can also buy Steam games from third parties like Amazon, but I'd check around on the internet before using some sites,

as scams are all over the World Wide Web. Typically you either will get a disc that you have to manually install with some weird

instructions (I bought one and it took me a long time to figure it out, I gave up and finally tried again and got it a few months later),

or a Steam code to redeem the game.

If you ever play an online game, which obviously you will, specifically Roblox, never, and I mean NEVER, under any circumstances, give someone your password. If they are offering to buy you Robux, Builder's Club, an Overlord rank on a Minecraft server, etc, it's a scam. That's all there is to it. Period. I have let people scam me just so I could get their rich account banned, but it's not recommended. Any extra protection is great. On Roblox there are two options for security: adding a PIN to your settings so your password or anything else can't be changed, and when your account is signed in on a new PC, it sends a code to your email so you can get in to the account.

In other words, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Sorry for the cringe reference.

Hope this helps! ??

On 7/28/2018 at 9:11 AM, K i a r a said:

-snip-

If you buy a game on HumbleBuddle or G2A you well get a Steam code, That works on steam, but if you dont like the game, you can not return it, If you buy it from steam, You can return it with less then 2hour play time

Also worth noting that HumbleBundle is a legitimate source, whereas G2A quite often is not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Also worth noting that HumbleBundle is a legitimate source, whereas G2A quite often is not.

ehhh, I've bought nearly half my steam library off G2A, And have only had 1 or 2 issues.

Maybe i've gotten lucky, Or just have IQ not to buy off sellers with no rep.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

28 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

ehhh, I've bought nearly half my steam library off G2A, And have only had 1 or 2 issues.

Maybe i've gotten lucky, Or just have IQ not to buy off sellers with no rep.

Not saying you didn't get the product, I just meant it wasn't a legitimate source.

G2A is detrimental to small developers. It's also a horrible way to purchase things, as you're only supporting (more often than not) less-than-above-board resellers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 7/28/2018 at 8:28 PM, Peeyush said:

First, ask your self what type of genre you want to play then move on