Painful Installation Of EKWB EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink

Mavflight09

Hey guys,

I have a few m.2 ssd's installed into my computer, and each time I added a EKWB M.2 Heatsink to them. However the installation of the heatsink has been painful each time. The instructions included with the cooler says that the 1mm thermal pad should be used on the side with the controller and the 0.5mm pad should be used on the back side.

However when installing 2 of them onto my 2 Adata sx7000's both of them required me to use the 0.5mm thermal pads on both sides, and yet it was a monster to actually get together. I had a towel in hand to avoid hurting my hand, and placed the ssd on my desk, with significant downward force I got the clips on, but should I really have to lean my entire body weight into a computer part to install it?

It just seems an unreasonable amount of pressure I had to apply.

With my Adata sx8200 I had to use a 0.5mm thermal pad, and NO thermal pad on the back side, because with the thermal pads on both sides, even clamping the ssd together with 2 pairs of pliers (one at each end) I could not get the clips on.

This is definitely an unreasonable amount of pressure.

Shockingly all of my m.2 ssd's still work.

Is there a reason why the clips are so damn small? Is the heatsink supposed to be this tight on the ssd?

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

I just bought a couple of thesehttps://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/assmann-wsw-components/V5618A/AE10819-ND/3511413

and put some thermal tape on the bottom

Does the thermal tape keep them attached? I feel like they would juse fall off, but if they stay on I might do this for my next m.2 ssd.

However I do really like the visual aspect of the EKWB heatsinks, Imo they look great, and would use them no questions asked if the installation didn't suck a fat one.

25 minutes ago, Mavflight09 said:

Does the thermal tape keep them attached? I feel like they would juse fall off, but if they stay on I might do this for my next m.2 ssd.

However I do really like the visual aspect of the EKWB heatsinks, Imo they look great, and would use them no questions asked if the installation didn't suck a fat one.

yeah it does, just be careful and don't knock them onto the wires. I have a lot of fans on my case so they get plenty of airflow. they are pretty small and don't weigh that much and I use this thermal tape: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Thermally-Conductive-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape-8810/?N=5002385+3294001797&rt=rud