Nvme, sata 3, or hdd?

Hi! 

I'm building a new pc and wonder what the benefits are of nvme over ssd ?

My old pc had a 1tb wd green, and a 250gb wd blue as the ps drive.

Other than My fans and gpu the next most noticible noise is my hdds. So I was thinking of going add ssd!  I was looking at a 480gb adata spg sx8200 Nvme drive with a 1tb wd blue ssd sata 3 drive. Or for around the same price doing a 250gb we blue ssd sata 3 with a 2tb micron ssd. The first combo comes out to be about 330 bucks( based on pcpartpicker) the second option is about 370 bucks. Both are all ssd setups, what I'm asking is would I be missing out on the nvme speed for the extra storage?

The only experience I have with ssd's is my wife has a lenovo yoga with a 512 nvme drive and I love how fast and quiet it is!

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, ChaseDown said:

Hi! 

I'm building a new pc and wonder what the benefits are of nvme over ssd ?

My old pc had a 1tb wd green, and a 250gb wd blue as the ps drive.

Other than My fans and gpu the next most noticible noise is my hdds. So I was thinking of going add ssd!  I was looking at a 480gb adata spg sx8200 Nvme drive with a 1tb wd blue ssd sata 3 drive. Or for around the same price doing a 250gb we blue ssd sata 3 with a 2tb micron ssd. The first combo comes out to be about 330 bucks( based on pcpartpicker) the second option is about 370 bucks. Both are all ssd setups, what I'm asking is would I be missing out on the nvme speed for the extra storage?

The only experience I have with ssd's is my wife has a lenovo yoga with a 512 nvme drive and I love how fast and quiet it is!

Thanks for the help!

SATA SSD over HDD is a waaay bigger improvement than NVMe SSD over SATA SSD. If it's a boot drive, I'd say it's not a waste of money to go NVMe, especially for professional applications, but if it's not a boot drive, I can only recommend SATA SSDs

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

NVMe drives are nice. But it's nowhere *near* the difference you see between a HDD and AHCI SSD. Honestly if you stick with the slower SSD you probably wouldn't even notice the difference in most cases.If you're planning to use it for things that need the extra bandwidth like as a scratch drive for video editing then by all means, but otherwise it's not worth a huge investment.

SATA 3 and NVME will give you effectively the same experience.  If you do very heavy data transfer tasks the NVMe drive will be faster, but loading times for apps and games will not be significantly different.

The main advantage of NVMe is physical size.

NVMe drives don't help with boot times and app launch times. If you're transferring large files, using it as a scratch disk for video editing, etc. it can help. Otherwise, a decent SATA SSD is fine.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

SATA 3 and NVME will give you effectively the same experience.  If you do very heavy data transfer tasks the NVMe drive will be faster, but loading times for apps and games will not be significantly different.

The main advantage of NVMe is physical size.

NVMe chips are about the same size as AHCI chips.

AHCI/SATA, AHCI/PCIe, and NVMe/PCIe can all come in m.2, PCIe card, 2.5" or any other form factor.

NVMe's benefit over AHCI are not size (same size of chip) or throughput (both can use PCIe) but rather efficiency and low latency for improving the performance for lots of small random accesses.

Thank you everyone. I don't plan on doing alot of video editing, maybe some, as my brother in law got a new drone and wants me to help him make some videos. I mostly game and consume content, YouTube or twitch or read articles or watch movies while gaming or combination of those things.

I looked and for 30 bucks more than the second option I can get a 240gb nvme and thw 2tb ssd would that be worth it for the boot drive or are we talking about fractions of seconds difference on everyday tasks?

Just now, ChaseDown said:

Thank you everyone. I don't plan on doing alot of video editing, maybe some, as my brother in law got a new drone and wants me to help him make some videos. I mostly game and consume content, YouTube or twitch or read articles or watch movies while gaming or combination of those things.

I looked and for 30 bucks more than the second option I can get a 240gb nvme and thw 2tb ssd would that be worth it for the boot drive or are we talking about fractions of seconds difference on everyday tasks?

Honestly for your workload I wouldn't even spend the extra $30. You're talking fractions of fractions of fractions of a second here for most of the stuff you'd be doing.

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Honestly for your workload I wouldn't even spend the extra $30. You're talking fractions of fractions of fractions of a second here for most of the stuff you'd be doing.

In that case should i even bother with a dedicated boot drive? Would just the 2tb micron drive be ok? I don't currently use all of my 1.25 tb space in my current setup?

1 minute ago, ChaseDown said:

In that case should i even bother with a dedicated boot drive? Would just the 2tb micron drive be ok? I don't currently use all of my 1.25 tb space in my current setup?

I have no idea what the Micron drives performance is like, particularly without having any idea what drive it is xP

If it's a drive that performs decently there might not be much incentive to have a dedicated boot drive. If it's on the slower side it may be worth getting a faster drive as a boot drive.

When looking at boot speeds see if they list IOPS because that will give you a little better idea of how fast it might load your OS than the raw sequential reads. But of course even that's not really a substitute for looking at reviews.

20 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

NVMe chips are about the same size as AHCI chips.

AHCI/SATA, AHCI/PCIe, and NVMe/PCIe can all come in m.2, PCIe card, 2.5" or any other form factor.

NVMe's benefit over AHCI are not size (same size of chip) or throughput (both can use PCIe) but rather efficiency and low latency for improving the performance for lots of small random accesses.

For end users M.2, be it NVMe, SATAe, or SATA, costs more per gigabyte than 2.5" SATA.  The only real benefit to the user experience is size and placement.  It has nothing to do with the size of the chips, NVMe has no 2.5" formfactor priced for the mainstream market.

Also, the only WD Blue 250gb drive is 2.5" SATA.  Nevermind, found the M.2 one that is 250gb instead of 256gb.

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I have no idea what the Micron drives performance is like, particularly without having any idea what drive it is xP

If it's a drive that performs decently there might not be much incentive to have a dedicated boot drive. If it's on the slower side it may be worth getting a faster drive as a boot drive.

When looking at boot speeds see if they list IOPS because that will give you a little better idea of how fast it might load your OS than the raw sequential reads. But of course even that's not really a substitute for looking at reviews.

Its a micron 1100 2tb drive ive seen reviews on the 500gb version and its at the top of the low end or bottom of tbe middle usually lol.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

For end users M.2, be it NVMe, SATAe, or SATA, costs more per gigabyte than 2.5" SATA.  The only real benefit to the user experience is size and placement.  It has nothing to do with the size of the chips, NVMe has no 2.5" formfactor priced for the mainstream market.

Also, the only WD Blue 250gb drive is 2.5" SATA.

Yes the only nvme drive I mentioned here is the adata xpg sx8200 drive.

Hello ChaseDown,

Nowadays there are hundreds of reason to get a SSD over a HDD, they have become so popular and now affordable in comparison to what they used to cost just a few years back that the decision seems to almost be obvious... Not quite! It all depends on the application of where those hard drives will be. If you have a budget to get a PCIe NVMe hard drive go for it, booting from an NVME device feels sweet but nothing else than opening everything faster, one SSD working with a large storage HDD seems to be the right option for most of us as we like to collect things but for some other people just one SATA 3 SSD or just one NVME hard drive is enough and SSDs (either SATA 3 or NVMe) will always be faster than a HDD.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming