Would this m.2 adapter work in a 2012 mbp?

Nicnac

I was wondering if something like this adapter would work if I switched out the old hdd in my 2012 macbook pro?

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Startech-SATA-2-5-Zoll-Adapter-fuer-M-2-NGFF-SSDs--SAT32M225-_960392.html

960392_0__8587121.jpg

My thought behind this is that m.2 ssds are cheaper or as expensive as sata ssds but if I ever wanted to reuse the ssd outside my ageing laptop I could do it this way.

So I think that an m.2 ssd at the same price is a wiser investment in the long term.

But would this work or will there be all kinds of compatibility issues like with pcie ssds where you need a compatible motherboard and drivers?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Hello Nicnac,

It most likely will work, just remember that you are adding something in between the motherboard and the hard drive and if that causes driver or recognition problems, your hard drive company or laptop company may not be able to support the problem as the adapter is what could be causing all problems. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming