How do companies like dell preinstall programs like norton on their computers?

Defunct Lizard
Go to solution Solved by Defunct Lizard,
1 hour ago, Tabs said:

The basic steps to generate an image yourself is this - install windows on a machine (doesn't matter which one as long as it supports the version you wish to deploy). When you get to the OOBE (the setup process you mentioned), press shift+control+F3 to enter "Audit mode". This is a clean slate mode where you can install anything you want and it'll be available on the image when someone uses it.

Once done, run the Sysprep utility and generalise the image with the /generalize and /oobe parameters.

After that, capture the image using WinPE (dism), and then you can create custom deployment scripts in MDT depending on things like hardware, capabilities, versioning, etc. 

When the image is deployed, the user will be greeted with the OOBE after turning the machine on, and when they arrive at the desktop everything you installed will be ready and waiting. This applies to files as well as programs; anything you put in the start menu, any configuration changes made to policies, all of that gets migrated over. The only thing that is removed from the image during sysprep/generalize is hardware-specific information (so the image can be used on any machine).

thank you so much oh my freaking goodness this is so useful. I thought it would be so much more complicated.

I am thinking of starting a small computer company and want to have chrome and other free or open source programs pre-installed on the computers. I don't know how to do this before the windows install though. Does anyone know how?

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

Probably a specialized custom installer. If you want to do this I'd just make a USB stick with whatever programs and copy them over whenever you build a computer. That's what I do. I have a stick with Chrome, Steam, Afterburner and a few other critical programs

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Probably a specialized custom installer. If you want to do this I'd just make a USB stick with whatever programs and copy them over whenever you build a computer. That's what I do. I have a stick with Chrome, Steam, Afterburner and a few other critical programs

Same, just when you buy a computer and turn it on, it doesn't go into a login screen, it goes into a setup.

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

7 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I am thinking of starting a small computer company and want to have chrome and other free or open source programs pre-installed on the computers. I don't know how to do this before the windows install though. Does anyone know how?

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and Deployment Image Servicing and Management.

It's called sysprep or Audit mode, I forget which. You can use this to install drivers and whatnot without creating a password.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, floppy disk mayhem said:

Same, just when you buy a computer and turn it on, it doesn't go into a login screen, it goes into a setup.

Yeah, as I said probably a custom installer that Micro$oft provides for Dell, Acer etc

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I found this guide, https://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/blog/Windows-Enterprise-Desktop/Create-a-Custom-ISO-for-Windows-10-Part-1-of-6 . From what I understood of it, you take a brand new installation of windows (on like a VM or something), install the programs you want to include, then you convert that into an ISO you can burn onto a USB and use that to install windows onto your computers.

I think

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

The basic steps to generate an image yourself is this - install windows on a machine (doesn't matter which one as long as it supports the version you wish to deploy). When you get to the OOBE (the setup process you mentioned), press shift+control+F3 to enter "Audit mode". This is a clean slate mode where you can install anything you want and it'll be available on the image when someone uses it.

Once done, run the Sysprep utility and generalise the image with the /generalize and /oobe parameters.

After that, capture the image using WinPE (dism), and then you can create custom deployment scripts in MDT depending on things like hardware, capabilities, versioning, etc. 

When the image is deployed, the user will be greeted with the OOBE after turning the machine on, and when they arrive at the desktop everything you installed will be ready and waiting. This applies to files as well as programs; anything you put in the start menu, any configuration changes made to policies, all of that gets migrated over. The only thing that is removed from the image during sysprep/generalize is hardware-specific information (so the image can be used on any machine).

if you want to do this yourself, you will have to create a sysprep script basically that will bake in your apps. but from a business perspective you can work from cdw/ pcm/ ingram micro and they can drop ship under you name with your custom image straight to your customers doorstep

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

thank you so much oh my freaking goodness this is so useful. I thought it would be so much more complicated.