Electrical noise through headphones so looking at a UPS

JamesHewitt

Make sure that your system has a good system ground.  The "noise" is caused by an electrical feedback in your system.  That can be avoided by making sure that your system has a good system ground.

Sorry fell asleep, anyway my system is - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JamesHewitt/saved/ggpgwP

Basically, I get a massive buzz through my headphones whenever I plug them in at the same time as my BX5 speakers. This buzz then changes depending on things such as load of the PC. I've tried it in three different PC's in two separate rooms with two different audio interfaces + TRS leads.

http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/i-have-a-serious-issue-with-my-audio

Here's a more detailed explanation plus someone with the same issue.

I've tried things such as a grounded extension chord as well.

Any help again would be amazing, thank you! @kb5zue @Pangea2017 @Inx @Dan1

Also M50x's and I am plugging them into my Audio Interface. The BX5 speakers are plugged in Via TRS leads to this as well.

Well.. the extension cord may have a ground wire, but that doesn't mean it's plugged into a grounded outlet.

I have to ask:  You did make sure your outlets are properly earth grounded, right?

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well.. the extension cord may have a ground wire, but that doesn't mean it's plugged into a grounded outlet.

I have to ask:  You did make sure your outlets are properly earth grounded, right?

Well the house was made by an electrician 39 years ago so I'd assume so. I'll ask him if needed.

6 hours ago, JamesHewitt said:

Well the house was made by an electrician 39 years ago so I'd assume so. I'll ask him if needed.

Ask him?

Testing outlets is a pretty common household task.  Like mowing the lawn or changing the air filters.  Besides... maybe it was grounded 39 years ago, but something happened to the ground wire.....

Bookmark this:  https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-test-for-ground

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ask him?

Testing outlets is a pretty common household task.  Like mowing the lawn or changing the air filters.  Besides... maybe it was grounded 39 years ago, but something happened to the ground wire.....

Bookmark this:  https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-test-for-ground

I'll give it a shot but we've tried with multiple sockets in multiple rooms of this house and had the same outcome.

Would suck if the whole house has no Earth ground.  :(

UPS isn't going to solve your problem.  UPS doesn't magically isolate ground.  I mean.... most UPs are standby or line interactive which means they only kick in after the AC is lost.  Those with AVR will use a transformer to either buck or boost mains voltage in order to maintain a mean voltage, but I don't see how it's going to isolate noise from a microphone.

Define "audio interface"

This is your motherboard:  Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard?

You're plugging your speakers and headphones into what.....  ?  The on board sound I/O in the back?

Or are you plugging them into the ports on the top of your NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case?

Or by "audio interface" you mean you have something like a Soundblaster Z with an audio pod on your desk.  I don't see a sound card listed.

Or are you using the audio output on your monitor via HDMI?

You've really given us very little to go with other than you heard "a UPS will manage to sort the electrical noise I am getting when my headphones are plugged into my audio interface" which is probably completely wrong and won't help one bit.

Holy sheet -- it's @jonnyGURU. If anyone here can help you with your problem it's him @JamesHewitt.

Do you use the headphones for gaming or for listening to music? It isn't a solution to your problem, but I have found the USB dongle for the Logitech G430 gaming headphones performs better in-game than the audio on my Crosshair VII. Your problem will persist with the on-board audio, but I think you will find your in-game audio performance to give better representations of enemy locations in CS:GO, etc. 

Also, is it possible that your case fan is introducing electrical noise?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

34 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Define "audio interface"

This is your motherboard:  Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard?

You're plugging your speakers and headphones into what.....  ?  The on board sound I/O in the back?

Or are you plugging them into the ports on the top of your NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case?

Or by "audio interface" you mean you have something like a Soundblaster Z with an audio pod on your desk.  I don't see a sound card listed.

Or are you using the audio output on your monitor via HDMI?

You've really given us very little to go with other than you heard "a UPS will manage to sort the electrical noise I am getting when my headphones are plugged into my audio interface" which is probably completely wrong and won't help one bit.

I have a M-Audio M-Track 2x2m. My BX5 speakers are then plugged into that via TRS leads and my headphones then also plug into the interface into the headphone slot. That's plugged in via Type C into the back of my PC. Sorry I thought I had added that to my parts list.

1 hour ago, JamesHewitt said:

I have a M-Audio M-Track 2x2m. My BX5 speakers are then plugged into that via TRS leads and my headphones then also plug into the interface into the headphone slot. That's plugged in via Type C into the back of my PC. Sorry I thought I had added that to my parts list.

NOW we're getting somewhere.

So that M-Track is powered via USB.... but that board doesn't have Type C, so I'm guessing you're using Type-C on the M-Track, but are plugged into a regular Type-A USB on the back of the motherboard?  Or did you actually buy a decent Type C card to plug the M-Track into?

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

NOW we're getting somewhere.

So that M-Track is powered via USB.... but that board doesn't have Type C, so I'm guessing you're using Type-C on the M-Track, but are plugged into a regular Type-A USB on the back of the motherboard?  Or did you actually buy a decent Type C card to plug the M-Track into?

It does have a type C on the board and it goes from C-C with no adaptor.

Oh snap!  You're right!

Image result for Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard

Ok.  

What if you use the Type-A to Type-C cable that came with the M-Track?  Have you done that?

Try both the SS and the SS10 ports to see if there's a change in behavior.

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Oh snap!  You're right!

Image result for Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard

Ok.  

What if you use the Type-A to Type-C cable that came with the M-Track?  Have you done that?

Try both the SS and the SS10 ports to see if there's a change in behavior.

Yeah it isn't the easiest to see :P I just tried and there's no difference between the SS and SS10.

Ok.  So maybe the problem is a ground issue between the board and the chassis.

Let's think this through... maybe we can add a ground wire from a stand off to one of the PSU mounting screws.  Just get a 16g wire and put a ring terminal on each end.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  So maybe the problem is a ground issue between the board and the chassis.

Let's think this through... maybe we can add a ground wire from a stand off to one of the PSU mounting screws.  Just get a 16g wire and put a ring terminal on each end.

Won't be able to get that for a day or two, but i've tried it with 3 separate PC's in 3 separate cases and I've had the same issue.

Wait.. you tried the M-Track on three different PCs?  Like.. with three different motherboards?!?!!

Then why don't you think the M-Track isn't defective???

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Wait.. you tried the M-Track on three different PCs?  Like.. with three different motherboards?!?!!

Then why don't you think the M-Track isn't defective???

I've tried two of them as well.

The only thing I haven't changed is the speakers, but both results in this buzz and the chances two are defective?

2 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

I've tried two of them as well.

This is weird.

I'd still try the additional ground wire idea.  Better than nothing.