Upgrade or build new

Hello i have a system with my little bro, i5 3570k, r9 270x, 16gb ddr3 some ASUS board i cant remember and a 500 gb kingston ssd and some hard drive i cant remember, he had the i5 OC to 4.8 on a 212 evo and ran good probably caused it to die early but beside the point
the i5 is dead and thats the reason we are here, cant really get much out of parting it out

If i upgrade ill go to a i7 3770k and a 580 4gb (or 8gb since he does 1080p?) 
which will run me roughly 500 -550 
some local and ebay option show $90-$200 for the i7
and online a 580 is about 250-400, im aiming in the 300 range
or a new rig that can do high - ultra 1080p, AAA, fps, cpu intensive strategy. etc
build list and prices?

I always recommend going with a new rig, mainly because there's little value in prolonging an aging PC. A new rig will enable you both to play virtually any game you desire. The reason I say this is because I don't see the point in spending like $500 now and then having to spill another huge amount on a new machine, you might as well get that new machine now.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Well the only things you will be able to keep are the drives and probably case. The PSU I won't guess on. In my opinion you're gonna be throwing away money with buying components that old and or weak and I would encourage you to decide a budget. Then see what you can build within that budget. From there see what you can reasonably expect in performance from that build. That is the order of steps I would take when trying to decide. If your budget can't build a PC that will satisfy your wants then decide to wait and save or buy used components for your current build.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case