How to have audio coming from speakers and headphones

Drkrinklez

My onboard is broken, randomly stopped working, so I have a roccat juke to use my headphones. I also like to use speakers to listen to music, and when I want to use them, I have to unplug my headphones to use my headphones via rca to 3.5 mm male. Is there some sort of adapter for me to keep them both plugged in and be able to switch without having to unplug anything?

1 minute ago, Drkrinklez said:

Is it powered through USB?

Oh wait your onboard is broken? Then how are you using them?

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Oh wait your onboard is broken? Then how are you using them?

I use a roccat juke to use my headphones.

Just now, Drkrinklez said:

I use a roccat juke to use my headphones.

Oh got it. Yeah that splitter doesn't need any power. Just use it backwards of what it says. Take a 3.5mm cable out from the Juke into the output of the box, and then your headphones into one of the in ports and your speakers into the other. Then the buttons will switch between them.

What plug is on the end of your the wire for your headphone? 

Server Rig Specs~
Motherboard: S5520hc Cpu's: two Xeon x5670's @3.3 ghz  Ram: Kingston ddr3 24gigs @1333mhz Psu: Evga Gq1000 Coolers: 2 hyper 212evo Hdd: 2 1tb hdd's Case: Corsair 400c

Gaming Pc Specs~
Motherboard: Asus rog maxumis viii gene Cpu: Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz Ram: Corsair dominator platinum 32gigs @ 2666mhz Psu: Corsair 1200i Cooler: Corsair 105i Hdd: 5tb wd black Case: Corsair 350d Os: Windows 10 home

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Oh got it. Yeah that splitter doesn't need any power. Just use it backwards of what it says. Take a 3.5mm cable out from the Juke into the output of the box, and then your headphones into one of the in ports and your speakers into the other. Then the buttons will switch between them.

Thank you very much! Also does t his decrease audio quality. Using pioneer bs22 and technics sa-ex500 receiver using foobar2000 for lossless files. 

Just now, Fluffy Zyox said:

What plug is on the end of your the wire for your headphone? 

Its a normal 3.5 male

you can find splitter 3.5mm cables, 1 end will be male 3.5mm and that goes into your roccat juke, the other will be 2 female 3.5mm one to run your headphones and the other to your speakers (if they are also 3.5mm) then you never have to switch anything, just turn off your speakers if you don't want them to play sound :) or vice versa 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-5mm-Male-to-2-Dual-3-5mm-Female-Adapter-Cable-Stereo-Mic-Splitter/192470661426?hash=item2cd0253932%3Ag%3A48oAAOSwO8pamIra&LH_PrefLoc=3&_sacat=0&_nkw=Dual+3.5mm+to+3.5mm&_from=R40&rt=nc

Server Rig Specs~
Motherboard: S5520hc Cpu's: two Xeon x5670's @3.3 ghz  Ram: Kingston ddr3 24gigs @1333mhz Psu: Evga Gq1000 Coolers: 2 hyper 212evo Hdd: 2 1tb hdd's Case: Corsair 400c

Gaming Pc Specs~
Motherboard: Asus rog maxumis viii gene Cpu: Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz Ram: Corsair dominator platinum 32gigs @ 2666mhz Psu: Corsair 1200i Cooler: Corsair 105i Hdd: 5tb wd black Case: Corsair 350d Os: Windows 10 home

2 minutes ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

you can find splitter 3.5mm cables, 1 end will be male 3.5mm and that goes into your roccat juke, the other will be 2 female 3.5mm one to run your headphones and the other to your speakers (if they are also 3.5mm) then you never have to switch anything, just turn off your speakers if you don't want them to play sound :) or vice versa 

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Extension-Earphone-Compatible/dp/B00LM0ZGK6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532396141&sr=1-4&keywords=splitter+3.5mm+cable like this? 

1 minute ago, Drkrinklez said:

That would be correct! if your speakers use the same 3.5mm cable as your headphones! Ps: go with the cheapest cable you can find, you wont be able to hear the diference

Server Rig Specs~

Gaming Pc Specs~

Just now, Fluffy Zyox said:

That would be correct! if your speakers use the same 3.5mm cable as your headphones! 

wouldnt windows just recognize that as one device and only one would work?

7 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

Thank you very much! Also does t his decrease audio quality. Using pioneer bs22 and technics sa-ex500 receiver using foobar2000 for lossless files. 

No

1 minute ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

That would be correct! if your speakers use the same 3.5mm cable as your headphones! Ps: go with the cheapest cable you can find, you wont be able to hear the diference

A split like this does hurt audio quality though because the signal is being split between two sources.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

A split like this does hurt audio quality though because the signal is being split between two sources.

yeah thats what I was thinking. I think I'm just gonna go for that switcher.

It depends how you split it and what your running I use signal splitters allot, even for the signals to my amps without any drawbacks.
And what happens on the output side of your roccat juke windows wont know, not even your pc will know, your just splicing the signal 

Server Rig Specs~

Gaming Pc Specs~

1 minute ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

It depends how you split it and what your running I use signal splitters allot, even for the signals to my amps without any drawbacks.
And what happens on the output side of your roccat juke windows wont know, not even your pc will know, your just splicing the signal 

But splicing signal is different from switching. Because a splice is cutting the signal, where as the switch is all of it to 1 thing at a time.

It really depends on his setup and what that roccat juke puts out for line voltage, if it puts out strong line voltage you wont notice even a 2 way split. but its a fine line with 3.5mm generally they are a low voltage.
You are right, a selector is a safe choice but I don't see that being much easier then just switching the cables

Server Rig Specs~

Gaming Pc Specs~

1 hour ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

It really depends on his setup and what that roccat juke puts out for line voltage, if it puts out strong line voltage you wont notice even a 2 way split. but its a fine line with 3.5mm generally they are a low voltage.
You are right, a selector is a safe choice but I don't see that being much easier then just switching the cables

Hitting a button is not easier than swapping cables.

11 hours ago, Drkrinklez said:

If you keep its volume setting at full/near it using sound volume setting of Windows it doesn't cause adverse effects.

But if you use that series resistor based volume control to lower volume much for headphones, it can have in some point very dramatic effect to sound quality.

10 hours ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

It really depends on his setup and what that roccat juke puts out for line voltage, if it puts out strong line voltage you wont notice even a 2 way split.

Headphone isn't line input device.

So there's lot higher risk of issues than splitting to two line inputs.

9 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Hitting a button is not easier than swapping cables.

I think you meant to avoid that word "not".

Because I consider pushing button lot easier than swapping cables.

And using switch is better for longevity.

Just like any moving mechanical part, connectors start eventually wearing down if cables are constantly swapped.

And it's lot easier to change switch device than deal with worn connectors.

13 hours ago, EsaT said:

Headphone isn't line input device.

So there's lot higher risk of issues than splitting to two line inputs.

Im a tad confused what you mean by this, risk in a wire that usually holds less then a watt? The worst thing that can happen if its a weak signal already is you get a quieter output on both output cables

What I meant by line voltage is what voltage the female plug of this roccat supplies, in turn what the headphones would receive,.. All audio cables have line voltage
On top of this he is running headphones, if they are not super small they require either xlr or usb or 1/4" plugs for power, he should still have plenty of volume to spare :)

Server Rig Specs~

Gaming Pc Specs~