need help please :o

jevjev
Go to solution Solved by jiyeon,
1 minute ago, jevjev said:

i will go with your list due to it being slightly cheaper and having bulk storage that will help with my media/photoshop work and game storage thank you so much for helping i can finally start buying my pc parts :) is there any tips you would recommend when building and when it posts :P 

Final thing, you might want to consider that MSI Frozr cooler if you have the budget, it's a pretty rad cooler that matches the theme quite well. :) 

I recommending getting to know the NZXT S340 Elite because there's all sorts of things in the S340 Elite that you have to know when building inside it, such as the PSU bracket and the bottom drive cage. In addition to that, the NZXT Aer fans are controlled through NZXT Cam as far as I'm aware, so that's how you'll control the RGB on them once you've done the build.

Happy building, be sure to update us on when you've built your brand new PC! :D 

4 minutes ago, seoz said:

1060 vs 1070 all depends on what games you play, think about what games you'll play and then choose the GPU that you think you'll make the most use out of. :) 

i will go with your list due to it being slightly cheaper and having bulk storage that will help with my media/photoshop work and game storage thank you so much for helping i can finally start buying my pc parts :) is there any tips you would recommend when building and when it posts :P 

Arctic frost

my first build

cpu: intel i5 8600k

cpu cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE

motherboard: Asus ROG strix z370-E

ram: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133

ssd: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

hdd: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

gpu: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Series

case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White)

psu: EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze 

thanks to @seoz for helping make the list :P and its based of her custom rig

Final thing, you might want to consider that MSI Frozr cooler if you have the budget, it's a pretty rad cooler that matches the theme quite well. :) 

I recommending getting to know the NZXT S340 Elite because there's all sorts of things in the S340 Elite that you have to know when building inside it, such as the PSU bracket and the bottom drive cage. In addition to that, the NZXT Aer fans are controlled through NZXT Cam as far as I'm aware, so that's how you'll control the RGB on them once you've done the build.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, seoz said:

i will :D ill keep an update on it on the forum as i build it once again thank you so much for the help

Arctic frost

my first build

5 minutes ago, seoz said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wy73Hh i upgraded the storage a bit would that make anything better? a 1tb ssd and 1tb hdd as the ssd i can use while editing/photoshop and common games then move the finished photoshop projects to the hdd

Arctic frost

my first build

i upgraded the storage a bit would that make anything better? a 1tb ssd and 1tb hdd as the ssd i can use while editing/photoshop and common games then move the finished photoshop projects to the hdd

Whatever you're comfortable with, really. if you want more storage, go for it! :) 

Just now, seoz said:

Whatever you're comfortable with, really. if you want more storage, go for it! :) 

ok cool :) also just looked at you build and wow its so pretty i dont think mines gonna look as good but ill try :D 

Arctic frost

my first build

Just now, jevjev said:

ok cool :) also just looked at you build and wow its so pretty i dont think mines gonna look as good but ill try :D

Aww thank you so much! Yours will look just as nice, I believe in you. :D 

Intel seems preferred, but another AMD option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  (£184.99 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: MSI - Core Frozr XL 71.3 CFM CPU Cooler  (£95.79 @ Alza) 
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£75.48 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£149.56 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£159.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£73.19 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card  (£294.46 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Corsair - SPEC-OMEGA ATX Mid Tower Case  (£77.99 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£79.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1191.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-23 19:49 BST+0100

Edited by Sernefarian
Changed a part in list.

Rawr.

49 minutes ago, seoz said:

Aww thank you so much! Yours will look just as nice, I believe in you. :D 

hey thought i would ask am i aloud to base my build off of yours i thought about a few things like my room being blue and white themed as well as my desk and decided to go with blue and white pc using similar parts to yours is that ok this is what ive came up with its a slightly upgraded version of your rig (idk if the 'upgraded parts' are better just guessing by reviews)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qjMtQZ

CPU:

£214.80

COOLER: 

£31.99

MOBO:

£189.60

MEMORY:

£151.76

STORAGE:

Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

£86.99

Seagate - Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

£23.99

GPU:

Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card

£251.99

CASE:

NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

£71.99

PSU:

Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

£65.79

FANS:

Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.2 CFM 120mm Fan x2

£17.99 x2

Corsair - LL140 RGB LED (TwoFans With Lighting Node PRO) 51.5 CFM 140mm Fans

£54.99

Arctic frost

my first build

17 minutes ago, jevjev said:

hey thought i would ask am i aloud to base my build off of yours i thought about a few things like my room being blue and white themed as well as my desk and decided to go with blue and white pc using similar parts to yours is that ok this is what ive came up with its a slightly upgraded version of your rig (idk if the 'upgraded parts' are better just guessing by reviews)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qjMtQZ

Aww, that's absolutely adorable! :x It's a nice list, that Z370-E board is a nice one, I love the white memory sticks too.

I love that you've gone with a white NZXT case and a white Asus GTX 1060 just like me, that's super cute! :D Our PCs will virtually be twins! :) 

7 minutes ago, jevjev said:

Just a few things I'd like to point out. 

For just gaming, the 8600K won't provide much, if at all, better performance than the 8400. The 1060 will limit both anyway. The 8400 is very competent, with clockspeeds up to 4GHz. 

The SSD is a normal SATA drive, so you get the same speeds as you would on a 2,5" drive. Also, both the newer version (860 Evo) and the faster 960 Evo are available for less than it. Do keep in mind that it will not affect the game launch times, it will only benefit longer sequential reads/writes. Those you get when you for example edit videos. For another good option, the MX500 is available for a bit less. 

The case doesn't have great airflow. The newer version, the H500, is available for a bit less than the S340 Elite, and is also available in white. It has better thermals than the S340. Though the H500 does have a black interior and rear. 

The CX550M is not a particularly quiet PSU. The fan runs at 930RPM when idle, which is higher than several competitors. Testing on Cybenetics. https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28&volts=1 (you can find the other PSUs there too)

The build will draw under 200W, so it's unnecessary to get such a high wattage PSU. The Formula Gold 450W is not modular, but it performs better, has a much better fan, and the fan runs at 540RPM at idle. At £60, it's a good option. 

If you really want at least a semi modular one, the Pure Power 10 400W CM for £45 is a good option. It has a better fan than the CXM, I think it's slightly worse than the Formula. Cybenetics doesn't have testing for the 400W version, but it's going to run slightly slower or roughly equal to the 500W version, which runs at 570RPM at idle. 

A 200W load is so low that all of the PSUs will run with the fan at the same speed as idle. 

Anyway, I'm more of a performance cynic, when it comes to suggesting stuff for other's builds (my own build is very silly in that regard)

:)

Just now, seoz said:

Aww, that's absolutely adorable! :x It's a nice list, that Z370-E board is a nice one, I love the white memory sticks too.

I love that you've gone with a white NZXT case and a white Asus GTX 1060 just like me, that's super cute! :D Our PCs will virtually be twins! :) 

yep :P i just loved the look of your build and wanted to build it myself just with blue fans instead of purple but didn't want to copy you without permission :) 

Arctic frost

my first build

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Just a few things I'd like to point out. 

For just gaming, the 8600K won't provide much, if at all, better performance than the 8400. The 1060 will limit both anyway. The 8400 is very competent, with clockspeeds up to 4GHz. 

The SSD is a normal SATA drive, so you get the same speeds as you would on a 2,5" drive. Also, both the newer version (860 Evo) and the faster 960 Evo are available for less than it. Do keep in mind that it will not affect the game launch times, it will only benefit longer sequential reads/writes. Those you get when you for example edit videos. For another good option, the MX500 is available for a bit less. 

The case doesn't have great airflow. The newer version, the H500, is available for a bit less than the S340 Elite, and is also available in white. It has better thermals than the S340. Though the H500 does have a black interior and rear. 

The CX550M is not a particularly quiet PSU. The fan runs at 930RPM when idle, which is higher than several competitors. Testing on Cybenetics. https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=28&volts=1 (you can find the other PSUs there too)

The build will draw under 200W, so it's unnecessary to get such a high wattage PSU. The Formula Gold 450W is not modular, but it performs better, has a much better fan, and the fan runs at 540RPM at idle. At £60, it's a good option. 

If you really want at least a semi modular one, the Pure Power 10 400W CM for £45 is a good option. It has a better fan than the CXM, I think it's slightly worse than the Formula. Cybenetics doesn't have testing for the 400W version, but it's going to run slightly slower or roughly equal to the 500W version, which runs at 570RPM at idle. 

A 200W load is so low that all of the PSUs will run with the fan at the same speed as idle. 

Anyway, I'm more of a performance cynic, when it comes to suggesting stuff for other's builds (my own build is very silly in that regard)

thanks for the tips ill change to a 960 i need the fast read and writes for my school gcse as im doing media course work i use photoshop a lot

Arctic frost

my first build

yep :P i just loved the look of your build and wanted to build it myself just with blue fans instead of purple but didn't want to copy you without permission :)

That's super cute, honestly, my heart is so warm right now. :D 

1 minute ago, seoz said:

That's super cute, honestly, my heart is so warm right now. :D 

well im not cute but im glad i made you happy :D 

Arctic frost

my first build

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Best to have the option to overclock, though, right?

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

S340/Elite both have decent enough airflow, if I can achieve 30°C idle and 40-50°C when gaming, it's a win in my book, but ultimately it comes down to OP's preference, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The newer version, the H500, is available for a bit less than the S340 Elite, and is also available in white. It has better thermals than the S340. Though the H500 does have a black interior and rear. 

i was going to go with the h500 as im basing my build off of soez but i wanted a white interior 

Arctic frost

my first build

Just now, seoz said:

Best to have the option to overclock, though, right?

I guess it could be a benefit if it's overclocked to a significantly higher frequency. And with OP doing content creation, it should benefit from it more than gaming does. 

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

S340/Elite both have decent enough airflow, if I can achieve 30°C idle and 40-50°C when gaming, it's a win in my book, but ultimately it comes down to OP's preference, I suppose

But that does come down to the cooling and heating as well. An NH-D15 with a G4560 is going to perform well, even in a BitFenix Enso (more of an extreme scenario). 

The CPU, especially with an overclock, would benefit from a cooler case and/or a better cooling CPU cooler, though (come to think of it, the H5 Universal has a white top, that might go well, if the cooling is needed). I mean, it should be fine, but it could limit the overclocking headroom, or how quiet it can be under load. Seems like a bit of a waste with such a nice motherboard. 

The extra fans would help a lot, though. 

Either way, should be fine. Especially with such a low power GPU. 

6 minutes ago, jevjev said:

i was going to go with the h500 as im basing my build off of soez but i wanted a white interior 

Should be fine. 

And yes, I do realise all of my suggestions make your guys' builds less and less similar :P

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The CPU, especially with an overclock, would benefit from a cooler case and/or a better cooling CPU cooler, though (come to think of it, the H5 Universal has a white top, that might go well, if the cooling is needed). I mean, it should be fine, but it could limit the overclocking headroom, or how quiet it can be under load. Seems like a bit of a waste with such a nice motherboard. 

If I can get a 4.7GHz OC going on my 8600K with my 33 eSports One and get 30°C idle and barely 50°C during load, so can he. There's also a dual-fan version of the 33 eSports, so that push-pull could do wonders.

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

And yes, I do realise all of my suggestions make your guys' builds less and less similar :P

Trying to seperate twins, I see you! :P 

10 minutes ago, seoz said:

I can get a 4.7GHz OC going on my 8600K with my 33 eSports One and get 30°C idle and barely 50°C during load, so can he. There's also a dual-fan version of the 33 eSports, so that push-pull could do wonders.

What kind of load? With Coffee, closer to 5~5,1GHz should be possible. But diminishing returns, and stuffs. 

With all the fans OP has, they could use one of the 120mm fans on the front of the heatsink, with the stock one on the rear of it. Making it push pull. 

Not sure how visible the fans will look with a closed front case. How does it look in your build? For future reference. 

14 minutes ago, seoz said:

Trying to seperate twins, I see you! :P 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 minutes ago, seon123 said:

And yes, I do realize all of my suggestions make your guys' builds less and less similar :P

imma scream if separate the builds!!! and then just to be mean i will spend it all on rgb fans and make your house rgb heave

(that rainbow text took way to long)

Arctic frost

my first build

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What kind of load? With Coffee, closer to 5~5,1GHz should be possible. But diminishing returns, and stuffs. 

With all the fans OP has, they could use one of the 120mm fans on the front of the heatsink, with the stock one on the rear of it. Making it push pull. 

Not sure how visible the fans will look with a closed front case. How does it look in your build? For future reference. 

5.1GHz+ isn't possible with my motherboard, the VRMs are way too weak. :( Did hit 5GHz once, though.

In terms of fan visibility, obviously we can only see the fans from the side of the case, nada from the front. My Rate My Build post specfically needed rear quarter pics to show off the front fans.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

5.1GHz+ isn't possible with my motherboard, the VRMs are way too weak. :( Did hit 5GHz once, though.

In terms of fan visibility, obviously we can only see the fans from the side of the case, nada from the front. My Rate My Build post specfically needed rear quarter pics to show off the front fans.

Also depends on the silicon lottery, though. I do realise that the difference between 4,7GHz and 5,1GHz is smaller than 4 and 4,4, but I still feel like OP should at least try to reach it, given the nice motherboard. 

Do the fans light up the build, though? For OP, they could get the ML, Silent Wings 3 or Noctuas in the front, for the higher performance, if it won't make an aesthetic difference. 

@seoz going with the blue and white theme what sleeved cables shoud i get

71fvPxvYJqL._SL1500_.jpg
pure white or

upHere Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN - Blue/White with Cable Combs
blue and white

Arctic frost

my first build

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Do the fans light up the build, though? For OP, they could get the ML, Silent Wings 3 or Noctuas in the front, for the higher performance, if it won't make an aesthetic difference. 

I'm pretty sure LLs are RGB. Going with LLs for front would still retain the RGB glow though as appose to going with SW3 or Noctuas for front where it would just seem like an unlit abyss.