Temperature Guide

Jtalk4456

As someone who has not yet built a full computer by myself, only used crappy prebuilts with a gpu and ssd upgrade, I look forward to my first build. I feel I have gotten a grasp on basic troubleshooting and what the norm is for things, with exception of Temperatures. I don't have the slightest clue what normal is, what OC'ed normal is. I've seen plenty of GamersNexus and LTT videos with temps listed but I don't have any baseline to compare. And I've seen many posts similar to ones like this one, posted today. 

"Are These Temperatures Bad For My GPU?"

I think it would be very beneficial, both of the liquid cooling and air cooling section to have a tagged post about normal temperatures, what will harm your computer or have a performance impact even. I want to have a baseline to compare when i build my first pc and see how it is doing, be able to monitor issues in the future. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Overall there's only two absolutes in my mind when it comes to temperature values:

• If it's under Tjunction it's fine.
  • If it's not thermal throttling, it's fine. I define thermal throttling to mean it can't maintain base clocks.

Other than that, there's no normal. Only what you're comfortable with. The only thing temperature has an effect on is the hardware's life span. But that's up in the air because nobody has anything resembling life expectancy.

To me, there's not really a standardised/normal temperature reading since everyone's cooling solutions are different, as well as everyone's CPUs being different.

Although being an 8600K user having used two budget coolers in my time, generally I follow:

1. <40 Idle

2. 40-60 Load

3. >60 Stress

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

55 minutes ago, seoz said:

To me, there's not really a standardised/normal temperature reading since everyone's cooling solutions are different, as well as everyone's CPUs being different.

Although being an 8600K user having used two budget coolers in my time, generally I follow:

1. <40 Idle

2. 40-60 Load

3. >60 Stress

Celsius I assume?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

Celsius I assume?

All computer temps are measured in Celsius. :)

Feel free to write one up if you want, you can use Test Posts or Google Drive(Google Drive is better for drafting)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

All computer temps are measured in Celsius. :)

Feel free to write one up if you want, you can use Test Posts or Google Drive(Google Drive is better for drafting)

I wouldn't know where to start writing one up because I haven't the slightest clue xD I could take stuff from @seoz and make one i suppose, but i also want one with what's normal with watercooling

There's slight issue with CPUs. Not all CPUs have same temp limits. FX-series AMD is the one I know to be different, and it was messing things for long time. Ryzen apparently works more on same temp levels with Intel. Also, on hotter side it becomes personal preference. And other smaller things to take into consideration. Like what cooler is being used and what is the expected temp range for that cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Celsius I assume?

I like my computer at 60 farenheit under load personally.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101