Can someone reccomend me a network card.

Camul

My current network card just died and I need to buy a new one. I don't really know what I'm looking for, but with my current one I had to spend hours trying to get it to work properly because of the crappy driver support for it. I would like to avoid this with my next one. So, can someone please recommend me a wireless network card. My budget is about $50. I'm not looking for the best one, and I don't care about the interface that it runs off, I just want one that has decent driver support for Windows 8.

Well the easiest would be a USB based one - should work fine. Most by Netgear, Linksys/Cisco, Dlink should work. Most may not have that "Windows 8" ready but if they work for Windows 7 - they should for Windows 8 as well...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well the easiest would be a USB based one - should work fine. Most by Netgear, Linksys/Cisco, Dlink should work. Most may not have that "Windows 8" ready but if they work for Windows 7 - they should for Windows 8 as well...
Thanks. I didn't realise that the USB ones were any good. I went with an Asus USB-N53. It seemed pretty good for the price.

Well the easiest would be a USB based one - should work fine. Most by Netgear' date=' Linksys/Cisco, Dlink should work. Most may not have that "Windows 8" ready but if they work for Windows 7 - they should for Windows 8 as well...[/quote']

Ya, I use them around the house - pretty simple and straight forward - ok for the price. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Even if it sucks, it was pretty cheap, so if it's not good enough then I can always buy another one.

I would of recommended going with a PCI-e card as they generally perform better. But if you've already got a USB one...

I found that in my house, the USB one just didn't have a big enough antenna to get a decent signal, so I returned it and got a TP-Link WDN4800 card. Works great (the USB got 0.5Mb/s and the PCI-e gets 15Mb/s) and the card's native with Windows 8 (no drivers needed).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I would of recommended going with a PCI-e card as they generally perform better. But if you've already got a USB one...

I found that in my house, the USB one just didn't have a big enough antenna to get a decent signal, so I returned it and got a TP-Link WDN4800 card. Works great (the USB got 0.5Mb/s and the PCI-e gets 15Mb/s) and the card's native with Windows 8 (no drivers needed).

Thanks for the recommendation. If the one I bought doesn't work out then I'll return it (if I can) and try this one out.

The one you listed is a great choice, no doubt. I just re-read and post and it seemed like I was putting it down.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Haha, it's fine. I knew what you meant. Anyway, I got it yesterday, and it works great. Much better than my previous one, except every now and then I get pretty bad lag spikes, but it's not too common. I may just need to use the adapter that's included so I can adjust it's position.