Chromebook question

I just ordered a Samsung Chromebook pro and plan on using Chromebook remote desktop. My question is, will I be able to do everything I can on an actual windows 10 laptop on a Chromebook remotely accessing my PC at home? If not, what are the things I won't be able to do? Thanks in advance. 

Yes, you can do anything on remote desktop. I used my Chromebook Pixel 2013 to remotely connect to my Windows 10 computer, or even my mom's Apple computer. Just make sure you have sufficient internet speed if you are doing outside LAN, or that you are connected via LAN.

What's your use case scenario? I use Chrome Remote Desktop to periodically move files from my desktop to Google Drive so that I can download them on my laptop (say, when I forget to move it the night before). Depending on your internet speed, you won't reap the full benefits of direct attached peripherals. Best case, you'll be running at around 30Hz (or FPS), 6- to 8-bit color, moderate stream compression. Worst case scenario, you'll be running at around 2-4Hz, 4-bit color, with heavy stream compression. We're dealing with a lot of data getting transmitted over the internet (think about why gamers streaming content online often use a second computer strictly for encoding). If you plan on Google Docs-ing it up and periodically accessing the Windows 10 machine for the occasional data grab, go for it. If you plan on using it to do latency-sensitive things on a regular basis, I'd rethink your strategy over.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

18 minutes ago, jaytrl said:

Samsung Chromebook pro

Why.

Could have gotten a used thinkpad with an i7 for that much.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, kimsejin5 said:

What's your use case scenario? I use Chrome Remote Desktop to periodically move files from my desktop to Google Drive so that I can download them on my laptop (say, when I forget to move it the night before). Depending on your internet speed, you won't reap the full benefits of direct attached peripherals. Best case, you'll be running at around 30Hz (or FPS), 6- to 8-bit color, moderate stream compression. Worst case scenario, you'll be running at around 2-4Hz, 4-bit color, with heavy stream compression. We're dealing with a lot of data getting transmitted over the internet (think about why gamers streaming content online often use a second computer strictly for encoding). If you plan on Google Docs-ing it up and periodically accessing the Windows 10 machine for the occasional data grab, go for it. If you plan on using it to do latency-sensitive things on a regular basis, I'd rethink your strategy over.

Just basically for school and some work applications, like Logitech harmony software. That's about it.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Why.

Could have gotten a used thinkpad with an i7 for that much.

I got it for $350, used

4 minutes ago, jaytrl said:

I got it for $350, used

This woulda been $90 for an i7 2xxx thinkpad
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T420-core-i7-2640M-2-80-Ghz-4GB-ram-wifi-bluetooth-webcam/153090737335?epid=2168328257&hash=item23a4eb44b7%3Ag%3Ab6QAAOSwh1NbQTyd&_sop=15&_pgn=2&_sacat=0&_nkw=Thinkpad+i7&_from=R40&rt=nc

Good replacement battery maybe $50, $20 for a keyboard if issue, $20 for trackpad if issue.

Toss in any SSD and it's solid at that point, still has plenty of performance. Some battery saving tricks should get it up to a decent level as well.

Mostly just gives you a better CPU potentially.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?