help?

ok so im looking at doing a new build. it will be watercooled in the long run but for now will be air cooled. the computer will be used for gaming/ home theater as well as general use facebook and youtube etc. i am trying to future proof it abit without going way out of budget (dont have a specific number set) currently i am using a hp pavillon with a i5 yes a labtop. i have had the labtop since the beginning of windows 8 and it is still somewhat very good for what i use it for. 

parts im looking at 

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Western Digital - Blue 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card

Thermaltake - Core W100 ATX Full Tower Case might also add the p100 as well.

Corsair - 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

oh and windows 10

comes in around 3800 dollars

what does everyone think. i am debating between a tv or a wide screen monitor for it. but cant decide. i only have a bachelor apartment. and the width of the apartment is only 9.5 feet. would a 38" monitor do or would i be better of sacrifising quality for smaller size

also any other tips would be great.

@truckerlenny

You need to expand on your use case quite a bit. Are you planning to sit away from it, call it "TV Distance", or are you just looking for a large screen for your gaming computer? That dictates a lot.

As for "Future-proofing", that doesn't actually mean buying the absolute top of the line. What it means, in the current market, is the easiest to upgrade core components & best price/performance of the add-in cards. As the point is to upgrade those when new Standards roll out, since there is no forward-standard solutions. In the current market, that means either the best VRMs on a X470 boards w/ either a 2600 or 2700 Ryzen. Or you wait for the 8c Coffee Lake part in a couple of months, on whatever the best motherboard available.

Then you pair that with a great PSU and the best monitor for your task. Then you build the rest of the system around that. It's why your Use Case details matter.

1 hour ago, Sernefarian said:

im trying to find gpu that are compatible with a ekwb water block alot are not

1 hour ago, Sernefarian said:

as well as stick to 1 16 gb stick of memory incase i decide to add more in the future. i have no idea on how to tell which m.2 is better

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@truckerlenny

You need to expand on your use case quite a bit. Are you planning to sit away from it, call it "TV Distance", or are you just looking for a large screen for your gaming computer? That dictates a lot.

As for "Future-proofing", that doesn't actually mean buying the absolute top of the line. What it means, in the current market, is the easiest to upgrade core components & best price/performance of the add-in cards. As the point is to upgrade those when new Standards roll out, since there is no forward-standard solutions. In the current market, that means either the best VRMs on a X470 boards w/ either a 2600 or 2700 Ryzen. Or you wait for the 8c Coffee Lake part in a couple of months, on whatever the best motherboard available.

Then you pair that with a great PSU and the best monitor for your task. Then you build the rest of the system around that. It's why your Use Case details matter.

both. i will be using it for watching movies shows from a tv distance, as well as for gaming.  i meant future proofing as in i wont be upgrading for at least another few years 4-5 for sure. considering this one is about 5.5 years old now and has served me quite well. 

12 minutes ago, truckerlenny said:

both. i will be using it for watching movies shows from a tv distance, as well as for gaming.  i meant future proofing as in i wont be upgrading for at least another few years 4-5 for sure. considering this one is about 5.5 years old now and has served me quite well. 

I'd go for a non-curved, greater than 32 Inch monitor. They're expensive, but that's the core component you'd want to settle on.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd go for a non-curved, greater than 32 Inch monitor. They're expensive, but that's the core component you'd want to settle on.

ive decided to hold on the monitor side of things for now to see if someone comes out with a 55"+ tv with hdmi 2.1 and a 120 hz. hopeful. 32 inch is just not big enough and most monitors dont have wall mounting capabilities i will buy a cheap 1080p monitor in the interm