system typing 4 or left arrow every few seconds

pokehl99

my desktop is typing 4 or left arrow every few seconds(depending if NUM lock is on or off) and i cant find the cause of it

i cant remember when it started exactly tho

It only affect when using any built in software in windows or a media player.

Doesn't affect me when playing games (as there is usually nothing assigned to the 4 on the num pad) but really bothers me when i'm typing.

I ran scans and file checks- nothing strange found

I unplugged everything (except power)- no difference

Re-installed all the keyboard drivers- nothing

I kinda want to avoid a reinstall as right now i got 1.5 TB of game installed :| and i don't want to sit there re-downloading all of it

Any ideas?

So you've installed your OS and games on the same harddrive? That's asking for trouble. In that situation I'd store the games on a partition because Windows will inevitably crap out at some point. Has been that way since it was conceived.

Have you tried another keyboard by any chance? Might just be a faulty keyboard.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Have you tried another keyboard by any chance? Might just be a faulty keyboard.

And that should be the first thing what must be done before reinstalling everything, updating any drivers, messing with system etc.

It's strange but people trying to resolve problems with hardware by reinstalling system - magical solution for every problem.

First of all - if you unplug your keyboard and this still happens - prepare bootable Ubuntu USB and try on another sysetm. THEN and only then, if everything is ok under Ubuntu, try to find problem in Windows.

If after keyboard change / unplug (and mouse by the way, just in case, or any other usb device) it stops - you know what is faulty.

found the problem :|

is stopped when i switched monitors lol

and it turns out it was the inbeded eyetracker of my monitor which have a 'task switcher' turned on.