Windows can’t boot after removing hard drive

youmanyousef
Go to solution Solved by youmanyousef,
2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Sorry buddy, chuck your old drives back in grab what you can and hope you don't forget anything.  Good Luck 

Shit, I don’t know how but all of a sudden it now works! First I made a simple volume called system reserved, deleted the one on the other hard drive and now it’s working ?!

I just recently took out all my drives and decided to run solely on my ssd and bam! The system attempts repairs but always fails giving me the location to a txt file and that’s it. I’ve heard this is due to a “boot manager” problem but I can’t find anything online to fix

edit sometimes it works, sometimes it takes 10 minutes (on a ssd mind you) and mostly just goes to startup repair

29 minutes ago, youmanyousef said:

I just recently took out all my drives and decided to run solely on my ssd and bam! The system attempts repairs but always fails giving me the location to a txt file and that’s it. I’ve heard this is due to a “boot manager” problem but I can’t find anything online to fix

edit sometimes it works, sometimes it takes 10 minutes (on a ssd mind you) and mostly just goes to startup repair

It means one of your other drives has the boot information on it.  As far as i'm aware the only remedy is a fresh install of windows

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

5 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

It means one of your other drives has the boot information on it.  As far as i'm aware the only remedy is a fresh install of windows

^

In future just install windows on one drive plugged into computer.

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Just out of curiosity...is that standard for Windows 10 install or is it an optional selection? To have install information on multiple drives I mean?

16 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Just out of curiosity...is that standard for Windows 10 install or is it an optional selection? To have install information on multiple drives I mean?

I THINK it has to do with whichever drive is the MAIN drive.  Windows selects the first available sata drive and dumps the boot info on there.  I've never seen an option to change this during an install of windows ever so the only way to make sure is unplug ALL but the boot drive and install

edit:

and to be honest knowing Windows, there's probably some silly bit of code that'll even put SATA drives ahead of NVMe on config lol

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

37 minutes ago, youmanyousef said:

Aww ok i had so much stuff on it ?

Sorry buddy, chuck your old drives back in grab what you can and hope you don't forget anything.  Good Luck 

2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Shit, I don’t know how but all of a sudden it now works! First I made a simple volume called system reserved, deleted the one on the other hard drive and now it’s working ?!

35 minutes ago, youmanyousef said:

Nice man,  Have fun!