Snipping tool default location when using keyboard shortcut?

Pavilion
Where is the default location for the snipping tool in Windows 10? When I click the shortcut for taking a snip, It doesn’t save it in pictures or screenshots? This only happens when I use the keyboard shortcut when I use the app and select the part that I need to capture it will ask me to choose the save location.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

You have to save it

image.png.6de6329c77f5b88958d45fa28760e53d.png

at which point you can choose where it goes.  You can also just "control + c" and then paste it elsewhere.  Many apps support pasting into them and it will work as expected (forum included).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You have to save it

image.png.6de6329c77f5b88958d45fa28760e53d.png

at which point you can choose where it goes.  You can also just "control + c" and then paste it elsewhere.  Many apps support pasting into them and it will work as expected (forum included).

No, I don't mean when I use the app. It happens when I only use the keyboard shortcut after I snip a part of the screen I don't get any save as or option, it just disappears. When I check on MyPuctures folder I can't find it either.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

4 minutes ago, Pavilion said:

No, I don't mean when I use the app. It happens when I only use the keyboard shortcut after I snip a part of the screen I don't get any save as or option, it just disappears. When I check on MyPuctures folder I can't find it either.

I'm not sure what you mean... I'm not aware of any system-level shortcuts that use snipping tool without launching the app

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not sure what you mean... I'm not aware of any system-level shortcuts that use snipping tool without launching the app

Check it click on your keyboard, Win + SHIFT + S

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

3 minutes ago, Pavilion said:

Check it click on your keyboard, Win + SHIFT + S

Ah yes, I did some looking around and found that mentioned as a footnote on one site.  I tried it and experienced the same problem.  Perhaps the feature just doesn't work?  I feel like it would be more talked about and more well-known if it did as that is quite handy xD I know when you Win + print screen it saves it into ~Pictures/Screenshots but that's not working for this :/

Ah yes, I did some looking around and found that mentioned as a footnote on one site.  I tried it and experienced the same problem.  Perhaps the feature just doesn't work?  I feel like it would be more talked about and more well-known if it did as that is quite handy xD I know when you Win + print screen it saves it into ~Pictures/Screenshots but that's not working for this :/

Yeah, it's unfortunate, because I have the same issue, but the Print screen is working for me, it could be that this feature is not working at all.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

5 minutes ago, Pavilion said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate, because I have the same issue, but the Print screen is working for me, it could be that this feature is not working at all.

I actually wrote a program specifically for this purpose because I didn't realize Windows had this built in.  I guess in a way, it still doesn't so I'll keep using my own for now xD 

I actually wrote a program specifically for this purpose because I didn't realize Windows had this built in.  I guess in a way, it still doesn't so I'll keep using my own for now xD 

Can you share it with me? I would like to try it

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

11 minutes ago, Pavilion said:

Can you share it with me? I would like to try it

Sure.  It's pretty basic.  Just run it and it hides in the background.  There's no visual feedback to show it's working.  Just hold down both alt keys (I chose this since it's not something that would ever be done by accident or conflict with other apps), drag over the area you want, and let go.  The clipping will appear as a bitmap on your desktop.

Screenshot.exe

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sure.  It's pretty basic.  Just run it and it hides in the background.  There's no visual feedback to show it's working.  Just hold down both alt keys (I chose this since it's not something that would ever be done by accident or conflict with other apps), drag over the area you want, and let go.  The clipping will appear as a bitmap on your desktop.

Screenshot.exe

Thanks, I will give it a try and give you my feedback :)

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-07-18 at 2:20 PM, Pavilion said:

I have solved this (or rather, someone else told me how it works xD).  When you use that, the area you selected gets copied to the clipboard, so you could paste in paint, etc.

Rather disappointing imo and kind of missing the point.  To be clear, I wouldn't want them to take that away, as sometimes you want it just in the clipboard, but it would be nice if it also saved a copy somewhere automatically.  Win + Printscreen saves a file but only takes the whole screen, and this Win + Shift + S takes just part of the screen but won't save a file.  Why can't we have both Microsoft?