Gaming laptop???

greenroost1445

Over the summer I might get some cash around $1300 usd. So I was wondering should I get an Asus G55VW or build a new desktop?

I was thinking the laptop would be good for portability but if I could get the desktop I would be getting more power. Could anyone show me another laptop for ~$1300 or another build for that price?

I like to keep gaming and portable devices separate. I've always regretted buying a laptop for gaming. It didn't have very good battery life, and it didn't have much graphics power anyway.

I would buy the desktop for gaming. If you need a laptop for other things, then buy a cheap one and put an SSD in it.

If you need the portability of a notebook, and you also want to play games sure, go for a notebook, if you don't really need to have a portable device to do so, then just pick up a higher end desktop.

In my case I wanted something portable, that I could use for college and also take to Lan parties(I'm an advertising student, and I work with design and video editing software, so a gaming laptop makes sense as a power user...) I also plan on building a desktop soon.

I went ahead and chose this: G46VW (saw Linus unboxing and decided it had a good size and reasonable specs)

But I couldn't find it with the actual specs I wanted it. So I started searching and found HIDevolution

I went for this configuration:

Processor

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM 2.4GHz (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) - installed by HIDevolution

Thermal Paste

FREE IC Diamond on CPU + GPU - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 8, 64bit, English

Video Card

NVIDIA 2GB GTX 660M GDDR5

LCD Panel

14.0" HD+ Antiglare with EWV (1600x900) LED Backlight -

Memory

Corsair Vengeance 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

mSATA SSD

Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 128GB mSATA SSD - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Primary Hard Drive

500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s - installed by HIDevolution

Battery Options

6 Cells 6260 mAh 69 Whrs Polymer Battery (Internal)

Power Adapter

1 AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)

Wireless Cards

Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO Technology

Bluetooth

Bluetooth 4.0 Included

Warranty and Service

1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - $125.00

Have in mind this works for me because I need the international warranty that this store offers and compared to what I would pay for it where I live its just worth it. ($1680 USD with the shipping)

I'll probably comment more when I have it on my hands :)

Main Rig: i7 3770k, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP, MSI MPower Z77, Corsair H60, MSI GTX 780 LightningI, Ultra X4 1050Watts, 128gb SSD, 4tb Storage.

Lappy: ASUS G46VW i7 3630QM,  16Gb Corsair Vengeance, 128gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1600x900 Screen. 

I like to keep gaming and portable devices separate. I've always regretted buying a laptop for gaming. It didn't have very good battery life, and it didn't have much graphics power anyway.

I would buy the desktop for gaming. If you need a laptop for other things, then buy a cheap one and put an SSD in it.

+1 for this

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

thanks guys i think i will keep my gaming and portable machines separated. So can anyone recommend me a good ultra-book, I would prefer none of the tablet-laptop convertibles but i would like to have a touch screen

If you need the portability of a notebook, and you also want to play games sure, go for a notebook, if you don't really need to have a portable device to do so, then just pick up a higher end desktop.

In my case I wanted something portable, that I could use for college and also take to Lan parties(I'm an advertising student, and I work with design and video editing software, so a gaming laptop makes sense as a power user...) I also plan on building a desktop soon.

I went ahead and chose this: G46VW (saw Linus unboxing and decided it had a good size and reasonable specs)

But I couldn't find it with the actual specs I wanted it. So I started searching and found HIDevolution

I went for this configuration:

Processor

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM 2.4GHz (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) - installed by HIDevolution

Thermal Paste

FREE IC Diamond on CPU + GPU - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 8, 64bit, English

Video Card

NVIDIA 2GB GTX 660M GDDR5

LCD Panel

14.0" HD+ Antiglare with EWV (1600x900) LED Backlight -

Memory

Corsair Vengeance 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

mSATA SSD

Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 128GB mSATA SSD - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Primary Hard Drive

500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s - installed by HIDevolution

Battery Options

6 Cells 6260 mAh 69 Whrs Polymer Battery (Internal)

Power Adapter

1 AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)

Wireless Cards

Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO Technology

Bluetooth

Bluetooth 4.0 Included

Warranty and Service

1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - $125.00

Have in mind this works for me because I need the international warranty that this store offers and compared to what I would pay for it where I live its just worth it. ($1680 USD with the shipping)

I'll probably comment more when I have it on my hands :)

In also looking at the same setup as you. NCIX claims they can't do the upgrades here locally. So I'm considering purchasing from HIDevelution. Please let me know how things work out for you.

thanks guys i think i will keep my gaming and portable machines separated. So can anyone recommend me a good ultra-book, I would prefer none of the tablet-laptop convertibles but i would like to have a touch screen
ASUS Zenbook or MacBook Air. :)

MSI has a config that has a 7970M for around 1200$. But the cpu paired with it is kinda weak. Makes perfect sense if you only really wanna do gaming on a gaming laptop.

Are you currently using that laptop? do you have any FPS of games?? I'm thinking of getting one

i work at a store in the Netherlands i tried it out and it is amazing the build quality is great. 

chek this if you want to see what games you can run on it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M-SLI.84953.0.html

the laptop i am using is a dell l502x it is great.