Low FPS in fortnite with a GTX 1080

Zetastar

I recently purchased a Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1080.  When i play fortnite on low settings it only uses about 50%-60% of the GPU.  I have a 144hz monitor and it will occasionally drop below 144fps.  However, when I turn all the settings to epic, I get 130-150 fps and the 1080 is at 99%. Could someone please give me some of their thoughts on why this might be happening?  P.S.  I've tried things such as driver updates, and making sure the power mode is on optimal performance in both windows and the nvidia control panel.

You have kind of answered your own question. On low settings you aren't asking much of the 1080 so naturally it it wont stress the GPU as much so less usage of the GPU.

Once you turn the settings up-to epic you aren't pretty much turning everything up and utilizing the card to its full potential.

You also have to remember that a 144Hz monitor will only actually display 144FPS +or- a few FPS even though the card may be outputting 150+FPS

So in general.... don't worry about it. The card is performing just fine and you are getting pretty well the max that the monitor is able to display anyway.

Wondering around the web in a dark haze

https://www.pcgeek.guru

Full specs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

45 minutes ago, Shane Cooney said:

You have kind of answered your own question. On low settings you aren't asking much of the 1080 so naturally it it wont stress the GPU as much so less usage of the GPU.

Once you turn the settings up-to epic you aren't pretty much turning everything up and utilizing the card to its full potential.

You also have to remember that a 144Hz monitor will only actually display 144FPS +or- a few FPS even though the card may be outputting 150+FPS

So in general.... don't worry about it. The card is performing just fine and you are getting pretty well the max that the monitor is able to display anyway.

yeah, but like when i go to a place like tilted towers my frames drop to like 70 and the gpu is still only using 50%.  I also have v-sync off so i can see how many frames it's actually rendering.  

So what is the system doing? What’s the cpu usage? Ram usage? Temps of everything?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

29 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So what is the system doing? What’s the cpu usage? Ram usage? Temps of everything?

The cpu usage is near 100%, ram is 5/8, and the gpu is at about 61c. I didn’t look at the cpu temp, but I’d imagine that it’s pretty normal for max load

6 hours ago, Zetastar said:

The cpu usage is near 100%, ram is 5/8, and the gpu is at about 61c. I didn’t look at the cpu temp, but I’d imagine that it’s pretty normal for max load

Well change the render scaling to 150% or so. See if gpu usage goes up and cpu usage goes down. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well change the render scaling to 150% or so. See if gpu usage goes up and cpu usage goes down. 

You can’t change the render scale above 100% in fortnite

Considering you said your 7600k is usually around %100 usage when you use low settings, it sounds like a CPU bottleneck in this specific game at those settings.

I dont really think its a big issue though, you can just turn the graphics quality settings up to alleviate the bottleneck.

You could try to push a higher CPU overclock and see if that helps, as long as the H7 can keep up and you have adequate case airflow and VRM cooling.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

2 hours ago, Zetastar said:

You can’t change the render scale above 100% in fortnite

Buy a bigger monitor. Or get a better cpu. 

CPU usage isn't optimized in Fortnite.  Try minimizing to tray the launcher after you boot up the game.  That should reduce your CPU load.  I noticed this a couple weeks ago, epic knows of the issue and suggests what I wrote here.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"