Boot issue

Soldre
Go to solution Solved by Soldre,

Fixed!!! I went in Settings, Boot and then UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS properties, and then enabled Windows Boot Managaer as Boot Option 1.

When I boot up my PC it works (that is after restarting mother bios by removing battery blah blah blah). And then whenever I want to restart my PC it has issues booting and says "reboot and select proper boot device". I haven't found anything on this issue before with what I've searched so, any help would be much appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: FX 8300

Motherboard: MSI 970a pro gaming carbon

RAM 8gb ddr3 2133 mhz

GPU: Asus AMD rx460 4gb strix O

Note: the computer has been working fine for well over 4 months. And I've tested the drive on another pc and it worked perfectly fine

Is the ram 2333 or 1333? If 2333, the ram isn't supported.  

Check in the BIOS if your hard drive with the OS is selected as boot priority 1.

hi.

57 minutes ago, Soldre said:

When I boot up my PC it works (that is after restarting mother bios by removing battery blah blah blah). And then whenever I want to restart my PC it has issues booting and says "reboot and select proper boot device". I haven't found anything on this issue before with what I've searched so, any help would be much appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: FX 8300

Motherboard: MSI 970a pro gaming carbon

RAM 8gb ddr4 2333 mhz

GPU: Asus AMD rx460 4gb strix OC

The 970 chipset and all FX Series chips does not support DDR4.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Oh sorry not ddr4 ddr3 also 2133 mhz I was mixing some numbers up. And my boot drive is selected as priority 1

I've just tested my boot drive on my brothers computer and it works fine so I'm very sure it's a motherboard issue. And a something I should have said in the original post is that the I built the computer a year and a half ago ands it's had few issues. It's been working fine until around last week.

I did a Windows update on my PC before the original post and it completed on the other computer. Will see if windows was the issue

Edit: Put drive back in PC booted it up restarted and no luck.

Are you running any other drives? If so, I'd suggest removing all but the boot drive so that the boot drive will be default. If this doesn't work then it could be a mobo issue, especially since you've tested the drive in other rigs.

53 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Are you running any other drives? If so, I'd suggest removing all but the boot drive so that the boot drive will be default. If this doesn't work then it could be a mobo issue, especially since you've tested the drive in other rigs.

I had already removed all other drives. I'm hoping it's not a motherboard issue but that's what I thought at first. Just in case I Will test on 2 other computers when they are available next weekend.

Just had the brilliant idea of testing another drive on my PC... And guess what it works perfectly fine... While still my SSD does not.

Could it be an issue with the fact that my drive is an ssd where the other is not? At this point I would try anything to get it working, it just doesn't make sense to me.

16 minutes ago, Soldre said:

Just had the brilliant idea of testing another drive on my PC... And guess what it works perfectly fine... While still my SSD does not.

Could it be an issue with the fact that my drive is an ssd where the other is not? At this point I would try anything to get it working, it just doesn't make sense to me.

The ssd's sats ports could be broken maybe by force?

1 minute ago, StarfleetCap said:

The ssd's sats ports could be broken maybe by force?

Well that just wouldn't make sense, the PC boots up fine on the first run but doesn't work on the second. And it worked on another pc. Also I used the same cables and ports with the other drive that ended up working fine.

1 minute ago, Soldre said:

Well that just wouldn't make sense, the PC boots up fine on the first run but doesn't work on the second. And it worked on another pc. Also I used the same cables and ports with the other drive that ended up working fine.

Oh yeah you already tested it i forgot.

Right now I'm just going to try and copy everything from my current drive over to a different one and see how it ends up.

Okay so I've just booted up my computer and it worked but that was first boot. Then I booted it up again and it showed up with the automatic repair screen.

Edit: just tried to get this to happen again but nope

10 hours ago, Soldre said:

Okay so I've just booted up my computer and it worked but that was first boot. Then I booted it up again and it showed up with the automatic repair screen.

This happened the other day to me, it was something wrong with boot order and even with changing the boot order it would keep getting this automatic repair screen. I just kept restarting, going to BIOS, trial and error until it started working. Windows was a little confused, thinking it couldn't boot but with some trial and error it started working.

18 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

This happened the other day to me, it was something wrong with boot order and even with changing the boot order it would keep getting this automatic repair screen. I just kept restarting, going to BIOS, trial and error until it started working. Windows was a little confused, thinking it couldn't boot but with some trial and error it started working.

Well the automatic repair screen happened only once, but I'll try trial and error with boot order.

Edit: the boot order stays the same everytime i look through the bios so I don't think that that'll fix it

Edited by Soldre

Fixed!!! I went in Settings, Boot and then UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS properties, and then enabled Windows Boot Managaer as Boot Option 1.

2 hours ago, Soldre said:

Windows is really weird with stuff like this. Even though the drive with Windows installed was Boot Option 1, for some reason Windows didn't run. Anyway, glad you got it fixed.