Improve DSL

A friend of mine somehow has DSL internet through Verizon

Anyone know of some ways to improve his network and speed. Like this is DSL over the phone line internet, I don't even know how Verizon is charging him for it.

replace it with a faster service, if he is somewhere with Verizon DSL he should have a cable option out there.

1 hour ago, ObsidioN said:

Like this is DSL over the phone line internet, I don't even know how Verizon is charging him for it.

What is this even supposed to mean?  Dial up and dsl are very different despite traversing similar cabling.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

3 hours ago, ObsidioN said:

Anyone know of some ways to improve his network and speed. Like this is DSL over the phone line internet, I don't even know how Verizon is charging him for it.

Verizon Communications is the wired broadband arm of Verizon. Verizon wireless is the wireless arm. Up till recently Verizon wireless was joint venture between Verizon and another company, which Verizon bought out the reset of the shares. Now that we got that out of the way. 

Verizon is not interested in providing DSL any more. Most likely your buddy is on shitty wiring that needs to be replaced. Verizon does not intend to do that. I expect that service will get worse as time goes on. Your buddys only hope is they end up deploying FIOS (Fiber) in his area, but Verizon does not seem interested to even do that in most cases. They found they can make more money on wireless than wired broadband. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, ObsidioN said:

Not much you can do. Verizon can replace the cable pair, check the connection at the NID, your friend can replace the internal phone cables with Cat5, but at the end of the day distance to the DEMARK is what matters. If he is 2 miles away, 10mpbs is all he is getting, thats the limit of the technology. 

But like @Donut417 said, Verizion doesnt give a shit about DSL anymore (they actually just put up a bid last week in my area to sell all copper) so putting in a booster will be out of the equation when that is the only hope your buddy has.