Screen freezes on random solid color while playing 3D games

I recently built a new PC and unfortunately I'm getting freezes while playing some more demanding games, pretty sure it's only in 3D games. Screen freezes on a random color like blue, black, white, grey, red, purple etc. after which I always must turn the PC off and on again. I've got a GTX 980TI, Ryzen 1700 and B350 plus as my motherboard. I still have warranty on my PSU and Motherboard, so if the problem cannot be solved, I hope I don't need to buy a new GPU...

Things I'm certain about or have tried:

- GPU isn't overheating, stays at 50-65°C.

- Tried without over- and underclocking as well as with underclocking.

- I can play non-demanding games without any problems.

- Installed the newest GPU drivers, uninstalled and installed again.

- Tried the other PCIe slot.

- 750W PSU should be enough.

Thanks guys,

Aksu255

16 minutes ago, aksu255 said:

Screen freezes on a random color like blue, black, white, grey, red, purple etc.

I would assume these graphical artifacts are caused by the GPU, since you're only encountering it in games. The best step would be to try a different graphics card, if you have any but running a game without any graphics drivers could give us a better clue as well.

If you don't have a different graphics card I would recommend  uninstalling the drivers with DDU and then running a benchmark / game that you know causes the computer to crash. If you have no issues running a game with no drivers but they start as soon as they're installed, I would unfortunately start looking for a new graphics card. If you have a friend that lets you plug your graphics card into their computer, that'd be a great step to see if the issue can be recreated.

Thanks, @xaeleep

2 minutes ago, xaeleep said:

I would assume these graphical artifacts are caused by the GPU, since you're only encountering it in games. The best step would be to try a different GOU, if you have any but running a game without any graphics drivers could give us a better clue as well.

If you don't have a different graphics card I would recommend  uninstalling the drivers with DDU and then running a benchmark / game that you know causes the computer to crash. If you have no issues running a game with no drivers but they start as soon as they're installed, I would send the graphics card in for an RMA. If you have a friend that lets you plug your graphics card into their computer, that'd be a great step to see if the issue can be recreated.

@xaeleep Thanks, I'll try that.

• 2 weeks later...

GPU was the problem. Bought a new one and it's working fine. Gotta do something with the other one...